• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Are There Ways to Change the NC700X Ergonomics for Bigger/Taller Riders?

Jarrett

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an Africa Twin and KLR and both of these bikes fit my size (6'+, 260lbs) well. This seems to be in large part to having a taller seat height, lower foot pegs and longer, flatter seats.

When i sit on my daughter's DCT NC700X, I love the powerplant, but I just don't fit on the bike well at all. The seat pocket is too tight for me and forces me up on the frunk. The seat height is too low and pegs are too high.

Are there mods out there to raise and flatten the seat, lower the foot pegs and even better to add ground clearance?

Do I just need to stick with bigger bikes for bigger folks?

I'm 6'2" and 190#. I have a Shad comfort seat on mine, but I only have the Shad seat installed, I took the pillon off and put the stock one back on to make more room in the saddle. I leveled the seat (check for "seat slope mod"). I also installed 30mm handlebar risers, and a set of highway pegs. Then adjusted everything to where it felt comfortable.

I have done 500 mile days on it, and not felt too bad. It helps to have the highway pegs just to give yourself a change of position. They do make drop pegs for the NC, but I am looking for wider, longer and more aggressive. If it also happens to have a drop version I would probably do that too.

Everyone is different, but hopefully my experiences will translate a little, and give you a starting point. If you get to Colorado, let me know and you can try mine for size.

Last edited:
The Seat Concepts kit raises the seat, particularly in the front, it’s wider, and eliminates the slope. The Russell Day Long seat can be built however you want to raise you even more. You can get pegs are maybe 1 inch lower. You could also use highway pegs to get your feet out and give you more leg room.

One problem, IMO, with the NC that you can’t do much about is that the foot pegs are a bit too far rearward.

Last edited:
I'm 6' - 210 lbs and have done following; Seat Concepts tall seat - Knight Designs lower foot pegs and Rox risers for the handle bars. These have made the NC700 pretty comfortable for me.

Last edited:
I have a 36" inseam so I am always looking for legroom, seat room on my bikes. I don't off road my NC so I went with the Russell Day Long saddle with raises you up and gives you room to slide back. It is a pretty comfortable all day riding saddle for the road. I also went with the Knight Design lowering pegs, and the handle bar risers. The bike ergos are pretty comfortable for on road riding. If I were off roading it I would have probably gone with the Seat Concepts tall seat option instead of the Russell. So there are ways to make the NC roomy and comfortable.

I'm 6' - 210 lbs and have done following; Seat Concepts tall seat - Knight Designs lower foot pers and Rox risers for the handle bars. These have made the NC700 pretty comfortable for me.

Just a question, but with the lowered right foot peg does your foot naturally sit on the brake pedal? With the standard pegs I reach my toe down to depress the brake. I've thought about the lowered pegs but have always wondered if my foot would end up resting on the brake.

Just a question, but with the lowered right foot peg does your foot naturally sit on the brake pedal? With the standard pegs I reach my toe down to depress the brake. I've thought about the lowered pegs but have always wondered if my foot would end up resting on the brake.

The brake pedal height is adjustable to some degree. The previous owner of one of my NCs had low pegs and the brake pedal was adjusted adequately to compensate. When I restored stock pegs, I adjusted the brake pedal back to where it needed to be for stock pegs.

Fortunately the controls are all adjustable within a limited range, and something I do right away with a new bike is set the levers and pedals to accommodate me and my riding position. Some people overlook that step.

How long does it take to swap out the stock saddle for a taller aftermarket one?

Wondering if I can buy an aftermarket saddle and just interchange them depending on who is riding that day.

It only takes five minutes to change the seat.
Actually pegs, risers, and seat can all be changed pretty quickly. The second time, that is.

here is shot of my boot resting flat on the peg. there is plenty of room but I am sure my foot is flexed somewhat forward when I am actually riding. I dont find myself ever dragging the brake.

IMG_20181009_212012147.jpg

Hey Jarrett, boy i do know what you mean. At 6'6", 36" inseam and usually 240lbs i do know! I too went with an aftermarket Shad seat(i'm buying a RDL this winter), then i raised the front of the Shad seat with the rubber chair tips, i also installed the Rox Risers to reposition the bars, i then went with a nice pair of high pegs for a change in feet position. Next i may look at lowering my pegs for another .5"-1". Sure made a wonderful difference. At first i could barely ride 20-30 mins without aggravating my Arthritis/Gout. Now with the better seat, bar risers and highway pegs, man i have ridden several 450-500 mile one day trips! I also stop a lot for pictures, scenery, snacks/water, stretch, boy it sure has made a difference! :{)

body parts luggage installation8.jpg

body parts luggage installation7.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips.

If I was going to pick one seat manufacturer to make me a seat that is 3 inches taller than stock, which one would you recommend?

I've decided to hold off messing with the seat and bars until I get the susp. right. As of now I could use 2" on the seat height-mostly in the front. I could get close to that with some susp mods so I'll see what happens. Some good threads here and these days a decent used Ohlins rear is pretty cheap. Front springs are also great if you're 240+lbs considering the return in better handling. Before lowering the the pegs 25mm I'll toy with the seat slope.

if you want to go cheap, the RSV4 shock (resprung) is a good option. I have around $200 into mine.

FRANKENSEAT - my mod

This year I am going to ask what bar to add and then put highway pegs on so I can "take a break" once in a while.

Oh and I put the $1500.00 or so (can't remember) into the RaceTech suspension mods and that helps "the seat" also. By a lot.

Then I put on one of those stiff plastic mesh covers on so the air can circulate under my butt.
This looks the same but I got mine from a guy in Israel and hacked it to pieces to fit my Frankenseat. I think there are pics of the process here but I can't find them. 3d motorcycle scooter seat cover net breathable protector black Sale - Banggood.com

Man I wish I had that stuff on the previous quarter mil. miles. Technology (some of it, in some circumstances, some of the time.....) is such a wonderful thing.

Last edited:
Back