• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Husband & Wife, new riders, now with 2 NC700x DCTs

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
We are both 57, rode as kids, spent a good deal of time on scooter since childhood. Took the riders class, got our licenses, now own a new 2016 NC700x and a 2018 NC750x, both are DCT models.

Rural dwellers so our riding is on 2 lane county roads. I’ve strayed onto some gravel roads as sometimes the asphalt just ends and switches to gravel surface mid-route. But trying to stay on the firm black stuff.

Looking to take a real trip with these bikes

Welcome! The two of you should have a lot of fun adventures on the bikes in the future.

There are a few members here from your area. I’d be up for a fall Midwest group gathering ride if we could pick a mutual destination.

In April/May we do a get together in western North Carolina and sometimes in northern Arkansas. Great riding in those areas.

Welcome. I am looking forward to seeing what you do with them. If you plan on much highway mileage (i.e. long stretches at a time) My first two recommendations are highway pegs, and the windshield of your choice.
These are the highway pegs that fit my 2012, i assume your frame diameters are the same but you might check before ordering.... Kuryakyn 7920 Dually Offset Peg with 1.35" Clamp

We are both 57, rode as kids, spent a good deal of time on scooter since childhood. Took the riders class, got our licenses, now own a new 2016 NC700x and a 2018 NC750x, both are DCT models.

Rural dwellers so our riding is on 2 lane county roads. I’ve strayed onto some gravel roads as sometimes the asphalt just ends and switches to gravel surface mid-route. But trying to stay on the firm black stuff.

Looking to take a real trip with these bikes

Welcome, come on down to the southern part of Indiana where there are actually hills and curves... (IN66 from Evansville to Leavenworth is very good). Numerous other roads down here are great also.

Welcome. I am looking forward to seeing what you do with them. If you plan on much highway mileage (i.e. long stretches at a time) My first two recommendations are highway pegs, and the windshield of your choice.
These are the highway pegs that fit my 2012, i assume your frame diameters are the same but you might check before ordering.... Kuryakyn 7920 Dually Offset Peg with 1.35" Clamp
When we bought the 2016 we ordered a set of Givi V35 panniers. Have not installed those yet, probably a winter project.

Ordered Hepco & Becker Gobi panniers and top box for the 2018 yesterday, but those are coming from Germany so it might be a bit of a wait for those.

Planning to add some LED aux lights to both, mostly to make sure we are seen by cars.

Welcome! The two of you should have a lot of fun adventures on the bikes in the future.

There are a few members here from your area. I’d be up for a fall Midwest group gathering ride if we could pick a mutual destination.

In April/May we do a get together in western North Carolina and sometimes in northern Arkansas. Great riding in those areas.
Used to spend a good deal of time in North Carolina as our daughter graduated from Wake Forest in 2017. Did a lot of hiking in the mountains in the NW part of that state. But no plans to take our bikes down there. We actually would like to explore north into Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and even Canada along the shores of Lake Michigan and Lake Superior.

Welcome, come on down to the southern part of Indiana where there are actually hills and curves... (IN66 from Evansville to Leavenworth is very good). Numerous other roads down here are great also.

We bought the NC700x in Terre Haute. That is about as far south in Indiana as I usually go unless I'm driving all the way through the state to go farther south. We do spend a good deal of time in Bloomington as our daughter is in law school there. Some nice roads there and we plan to explore that area by bike.

I also bought my 2013 NC700x in Terre Haute (Thompsons Motorsports). Matter of fact, my 2007 Suzuki C50 (now with 92,000+ miles) was bought new at Thompsons Motorsports.

I also bought my 2013 NC700x in Terre Haute (Thompsons Motorsports). Matter of fact, my 2007 Suzuki C50 (now with 92,000+ miles) was bought new at Thompsons Motorsports.

Yup, Thompsons. Nice dealership, I was impressed. Our local Honda shop is tiny by comparison to Thompsons. Honestly I think our local shop could fit in Thompsons 3 times over.

We dealt with Jarrod. I also spent a good deal talking with another guy there who had an NC700x DCT, drove it for 50,000 miles touring the country, then bought an Africa Twin DCT. He sold the NC700x to another guy at Thompsons, who now rides it to work, and I spoke with that guy too.

It was a long ride down there for us but worth the trip for the bike we got and the deal they gave us.

You will find the desire to add accessories, which we call farkling, can be overwhelming.
This video does not include the seat, the extra turn signals in the handguard, or the new tires.

Honda NC700x DCT Additions and modifications. Oklahoma Hank. - YouTube

I made a Lincoln / Reagan / Hoover / Obama tour of Illinois some time ago. So much corn!

Last edited:
You will find the desire to add accessories, which we call farkling, can be overwhelming.
This video does not include the seat, the extra turn signals in the handguard, or the new tires.

Honda NC700x DCT Additions and modifications. Oklahoma Hank. - YouTube

I made a Lincoln / Reagan / Hoover / Obama tour of Illinois some time ago. So much corn!

Corn and Soybeans dominate Iowa, Illinois & Indiana! We actually live on the IN/IL state line, technically in Indiana but our daughter went to school in Illinois. Back yard is corn this year. Soybeans next year.

Looking at mods already.

Givi V35 side cases have already arrived for our 2016. Also got the Admore LED light kit for the V35 cases so the case reflectors will be converted into secondary Brake Lights & Turn Signals.
givi-v35-side-cases-black-red-lenses-plx-12006-0-1474043412000.jpg

Hepco & Becker GOBI side cases & top case are in transit for our 2018.
1724554_12gs.jpg

Both will likely get some sort of crash bar.
Both will likely get some sort of Aux Fog or Driving lights.
Both will also likely get new windshields + front road pegs.

Likely both will end up with one of the various cruise controls, looking pretty hard at the Atlas => ATLAS Throttle Lock - Universal Motorcycle Cruise Control

Not sure what else.

Throttle lock vs cramp buster....

They aren't mutually exclusive but for riding with others, at least for me, the cramp buster was much more valuable. Setting the throttle lock is great when you are alone, your bike will gain and lose some speed based on the incline of the road. Without one you may or may not alter the throttle position to maintain speed. Again all well and good alone, now when you are riding with someone, once you finally get the throttle lock set at the same speed, along comes the first incline and your rate of speed will change relative to the other bike, maybe not enough to matter, but I found more often than not I either dropped farther behind or closed up closer than I wanted. I am sure Colorado and Utah amplified the issue but it is something to consider.

For a throttle lock, I just put an o-ring on the bar end that I can roll over against the grip. I went all out and ordered the yellow caterpillar one, just so my cheap throttle lock didn't look cheap. google 8m4991. Various colors are available and ebay is generally cheaper than amazon. I ordered 10 and it was under $10 shipped. I plan to give them as Christmas gifts to my KLR riding friends :p PM me your address and I will mail you two yellow ones if you wish as a "welcome to the community"

I like the Go Cruise throttle control. It's not a lock but rather uses an adjustable small lever resting against the brake lever to hold a set speed. One finger sets it and it's like half of a cruise control because it sets a minimum speed - not one speed but allows turning more throttle to speed up or hold speed going up a grade. When going up a grade the rider has to roll on a little throttle to hold speed (or not) and at the crest just allow release the throttle so it will then resume the preset speed.

It does not replace an electronic cruise control but I find it much more usable than a throttle lock, of which I've had several types.

+1 on the go cruise. I found be cramp buster got in the way when I didn’t need it at the moment, where the go cruise is out of the way and “one finger adjustable” as dave said. Since none of these devices are actually cruise control, but are just various forms of throttle “locks,” I couldn’t see spending $100 or more. The yellow o-ring worked for me for a while, but the gap in my grip changed a bit and the o-ring doesn’t hold well now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The GoCruise 2 looks interesting, idiot proof, and is certainly reasonably priced. I can afford to get one of those for my wife too :rolleyes: Certainly a lot less expensive than the Atlas. Also looks like it would be easy to steal off the bike while we are stopped for lunch, etc. Anyone lose one of the GoCruise clamps to a thief while parked for a short brake/rest at a roadside stop, park, tourist trap or even the worlds largest ball of twine?

Go Cruise 2 Motorcycle throttle lock Universal

Honestly I think I may try a Go Cruise 2 unit to see if I like it. I still like the Atlas, while roughly 4x the price, it looks more like an OEM part, is less noticeable, can be left on the bike without nearly as much worry about theft. But it is a lot more expensive and that is a huge downside.

Atlas ATLAS Throttle Lock - Universal Motorcycle Cruise Control

ColoradoChris, thanks for the offer of the yellow rubber band, looking at the reviews it seems to be a hit or miss solution. Works well when it works but not when it doesn't. I appreciate the kindness but I'm going to pass.

Last edited:
The GoCruise 2 looks interesting, idiot proof, and is certainly reasonably priced. I can afford to get one of those for my wife too :rolleyes: Certainly a lot less expensive than the Atlas. Also looks like it would be easy to steal off the bike while we are stopped for lunch, etc. Anyone lose one of the GoCruise clamps to a thief while parked for a short brake/rest at a roadside stop, park, tourist trap or even the worlds largest ball of twine?

Go Cruise 2 Motorcycle throttle lock Universal

Honestly I think I may try a Go Cruise 2 unit to see if I like it. I still like the Atlas, while roughly 4x the price, it looks more like an OEM part, is less noticeable, can be left on the bike without nearly as much worry about theft. But it is a lot more expensive and that is a huge downside.

Atlas ATLAS Throttle Lock - Universal Motorcycle Cruise Control

ColoradoChris, thanks for the offer of the yellow rubber band, looking at the reviews it seems to be a hit or miss solution. Works well when it works but not when it doesn't. I appreciate the kindness but I'm going to pass.

The one on my NC I have had for about 5 years, three bikes, maybe 50,000 miles riding. it broke on a long ride up to the mountains and I repaired it in a motel parking lot. I meant to replace it but never did and probably won't as now it has "history".

I can't recall I've ever had a thing ever stolen off a bike in over 300,000 miles. I don't worry too much about it anymore - I pay attention to what I can control and leave the rest to the One that owns all my stuff anyway.

I'm thinking the Go Cruise 2 will be a stocking stuffer that my wife will find on Christmas morning.

I've been skeptical of them but your advocacy of their effectiveness has swayed me.

And mine only broke because one of the R1200GS guys I was riding with wanted to try out my DCT so I cracked it removing it so it wouldn't be in the way of the thumb switches.

Hepco & Becker top case rack + side case racks are installed on the NC750x.
Hepco & Becker GOBI top case locked into place.
Found out that I can NOT open the rear seat/fuel door with the H&B top case rack in place because I adjusted the installation (it is moveable) as far forward as possible.
Removed the H&B GOBI top case.
Uninstalled the H&B top case adapter plate and reinstalled it farther to the rear ... this time making sure to allow clearance for fuel access. Rookie mistake :(

Ordered 2 of the MADSTAD windshields. 18" for the NC700x for my wife. 20" for the NC750x for myself as per the instructions on the website. Confirmed with them the logic of not buying 2 of the 20" and they gave me a nice detailed explanation of why I should not do that ... and they gave me a discount for ordering 2 windshields ;)

Installed the under seat brackets for the GIVI V35 side case racks on the NC700x. I did not, as per direction from my wife, install the actual racks. Just the little brackets. She thinks the NC700x looks sporty without the racks in place so the little brackets are the only thing she would currently allow me to install.

Pulled off some factory stickers from the top of the FRUNK on both bikes and cleaned away the adhesive residue.

Back