• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Offering new riders advice

easterncoyote

Reaction score
Visit site
The other day I was sitting outside Starbucks on Brant St in Burlington when a young guy rode up on his new cbr300r with his girlfriend on the back. I struck up a conversation. He said he got his motorcycle licence 2 weeks ago. I noticed they were both wearing running shoes, he had jeans on, and the girlfriend was wearing those ubiquitous black leggings. I’m not sure if either of them were wearing gloves. This prompted me to launch into my lecture about the importance of wearing proper safety gear. I didn’t even address the fact that riding with a passenger with so little experience was completely irresponsible. I have tens of thousands of kilometres of riding experience and I am extremely reluctant to ride with a passenger. I don’t think they really listened to me.

Anyway, I am interested in knowing if other riders offer advice to new riders like this? Am I out of line? Should I not bother? I feel I have a responsibility to educate new riders.

Sadly, until they respect you, they're not going to listen to you- no matter how good the advice (Take from someone with 20 neices & nephews). Maybe the best thing to do is to talk up an 'advanced rider's course'?

Last edited:
I'll talk to people I know about safety and gear. Total strangers are typically not receptive to the idea unless they start the conversation.
I would talk to them about their bike and things like that. They then usually ask 'Aren't you hot in that jacket?' I take that as a way to introduce the topic of safety gear and safety rider courses.
I think gloves are the easiest to talk about since the hands are the first thing to hit the ground if you fall. Gloves can also look cool, too.

JT

Not out of line at all. I have been riding for about a year and a half, now. I have only taken my wife on the bike one time for about 2 miles around the neighborhood because she wanted to see what it was like. I hated the way the bike felt and maneuvered. I won't be taking her riding on the NC, that's for sure. I suppose if I had a larger bike, it would be different. Again, no experience there, I just know I didn't like it one bit. I've taken a kid for a ride once, too about the same distance. Wasn't a problem as he was about 60lbs total.

I do wear my jacket, gloves and boots every time I ride. I once, inadvertently left from the house without my gloves on. Immediately felt naked without them, so I pulled over and put them on. I know I've listened to sound advice when it comes to gear, but there are so many who just won't, unfortunately. I would still tell them anyways :D

I see many “experienced” adult riders in US states that mandate helmet use. These folks wear a skimpy half helmet and minimal clothing. They are well aware of what constitutes “proper” motorcycle riding gear, but obviuosly chose to dress otherwise. Preaching would do no good.

Likewise, young beginner riders are at the age where they feel invincible, so they’ll just have to figure out the importance of proper gear on their own, hopefully not in a drastic way. I dont speak to them but try to leave an impression by my example.

I admit that when I was much younger, I always wore a helmet and gloves, but a t-shirt, athletic shoes, and jeans was considered acceptable to me.

Last edited:
You are not out of line to speak up.

It is important to realize that people will often react negatively to such suggestions, and then go away and realize the suggestion was a good one and follow it.

You can’t expect someone to say “You are right, I will never do that again!” They are far more likely to say “Mind your own business! I can do whatever I want.” That does NOT mean they won’t follow your suggestion later. You have to accept that you are going to get negative or even hostile feedback if you want to make a difference.

The age difference alone would make you a less than credible source (in young eyes)... still, it's good to say it, once, gently, as the idea might take hold in time.

I am ever amazed at young men who ride like maniacs with someone's daughter on the rear seat !!!

(meant to be gently humorous since I'm old...no offense meant to the XX crowd.)
God bless the man who talked women into wearing yoga pants!

I feel I have a responsibility to educate new riders.

Really? What motorcycle safety training credentials do you have? If you don't, and you want to educate new riders, then you take a course and get certified for teaching motorcycle safety. Right now you're just a boundary challenged busy body.

I was told by multiple strangers, and people i know I should wear more gear. I usually wore gloves and helmet and street cloths. Took over 30k miles before I decided it was time to start buy gear and atgatt.

I will admit that I don't go full bore atgatt in mid summer. But the riding with a passenger thing I have very strict rules.

With 52 years riding and 35 years with the same passenger, I still won't ride with my wife when I get a new bike until I have a thousand miles on it. Our first date was on a motorcycle and I knew right then that she knew how to ride as a passenger. Still each bike handles differently and until it is pure second nature with solid instinctive feel I don't ride two up.

That's my personal firm riding rule for two up. My wife and I have many cross country tours under our butts and it's worked very well.

Really? What motorcycle safety training credentials do you have? If you don't, and you want to educate new riders, then you take a course and get certified for teaching motorcycle safety. Right now you're just a boundary challenged busy body.

Good advice is useful no matter who it comes from...certified or not.

Good advice is useful no matter who it comes from...certified or not.

Without some certification a new rider has no way of knowing if the advice is good, or whacked out personal opinions. It's a face to face version of an Internet forum; some people actually know something, but most are just regurgitating something they only partially understand. Generally the information is simply useless, but sometimes it's downright dangerous. Who knows where eastencoyote's opinions lie. Personally, I'm deeply suspicious of anyone who feels obliged to go up to complete strangers and spread their personal gospel.

I feel I have a responsibility to educate new riders.
I'm pretty sure your doctor has pills for that ;-)

Seriously, lectures don't work. My educated guess is that any licensed rider ALREADY knows that riding with gear is better than riding without gear. Your pointing it out was just a thinly veiled declaration that you don't "approve" of their choices. Some riders might let you know that in no uncertain terms.

Remember this: It is their choice, not yours as to what/how they ride.

If on the other hand you are actually interested in helping a new rider, I would talk about things that aren't as obvious as ATGATT. To wit: Riding in the rain, riding in heavy traffic, Riding at night. Dealing with decreasing radius turns. Stuff that would actually inform and not judge.

Last edited:
Many people are mostly influenced by example, rather than research or training or even experience.
Seeing others in gear is the best lesson.

Many people are mostly influenced by example, rather than research or training or even experience.
I'm with you on that...But, I would substitute the words "the herd" rather than "example". To wit:

I've noticed that if the herd you ride with looks like a casting call for Pirates of the Carribean III....you will tend to look like well, a Pirate ;-)

If the herd you generally ride with looks like a squad of Power Rangers well, you get the idea ;-)

When riding charity events that the local watering hole puts on, I am generally one of few dudes in that herd wearing serious gear and a helmet.

When I'm riding with experienced long distance riders everyone in that herd is generally ATGATT....

Different strokes for different herds ;-)

Regardless, I believe riders are making conscious choices when it comes to riding gear, and those choices aren't due to a lack of knowledge. Their riding habits is a different matter altogether. Those choices very well might be due to lack of riding experience or knowledge and that is where an experienced and safe rider might be able offer advice if asked.

Without some certification a new rider has no way of knowing if the advice is good, or whacked out personal opinions. It's a face to face version of an Internet forum; some people actually know something, but most are just regurgitating something they only partially understand. Generally the information is simply useless, but sometimes it's downright dangerous. Who knows where eastencoyote's opinions lie. Personally, I'm deeply suspicious of anyone who feels obliged to go up to complete strangers and spread their personal gospel.

Perfect example of 'some folks just want a fight'.

Like most of you, I've seen many different types of riders wearing many different types of clothing (sometimes not much at all). I've been a MSF RiderCoach since 2005. I don't speak on behalf of MSF and I don't hold myself out to have some special wisdom or authority, but I have my opinions based on 40+ years of riding and 13 years of teaching. Pretty much everything about safe and responsible motorcycle riding comes down to making choices. As an instructor, my role is to present information to the students to allow them to make informed choices. They may or may not be choices I would make, but when I see riders without safety gear, I don't feel compelled to "educate" them. I may shake my head to myself and hope that they make it home safely. But that's my choice. Easterncoyote, I certainly don't see anything wrong with you making a different choice and offering advice that you think is of value. But (since you asked our opinions), in the future you may want to think about framing these discussions in a way that doesn't sound like a lecture (your word) to see if your audience is more receptive.

One person I admire greatly who has chosen to give advice about safety gear is Brittany Morrow, the Road Rash Queen. She took her tragedy and turned it into a passionate mission for the benefits of protective gear. If you haven't heard of her, I recommend you read her story at The Roadrash Queen – Original Article – Rock the Gear.

Back