• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Knee's and Frunk

aceiv

Reaction score
Visit site
Howdy!

I am thinking about a 2018 NC750 and also the CB500X, both for their upright riding position. I used to ride 25 years ago, and want to get back on. My concern is how the knees hit the frunk...it is out wider than the standard bike. Is this something you get used to? I plan on using it for a commuter, and some pleasure trips.

Thank you!

Alex

Hello and welcome!

I didn't notice or have any issue with my knees and the frunk. I suppose it all depends on what bike you are coming from. I have a Honda ST1300 and a NC700X. The 700 feels small to me.

JT

I came from a (large) scooter, and had no problems.
Well, at least after about five minutes it felt more or less fine.
I ride it on my 130 miles round trip commute.
After several ergonomic modifications I would say it is now comfortable.
Added seat cushion under the original cover, Madstad 24" screen, highway pegs, 19mm handlebar raisers.
Bit in terms of knee spacing, the only real issue here for me is it puts my feet out wider than I'd really like when I am on the pegs.
I just use the pegs for a few moments to relieve any ache.

Did not measure but it seems on average the frunk and the conventional fuel tank are about the same width.

The NC700X feels like a 7/8 scale motorcycle to me, it's pony sized, very friendly.

Sitting on both the width of the frunk at my knees is about 15" on the 700 and the tank is 13" wide same spot on the 500. The 700 gets wider going forward but that is not an issue for leg fit (it's ahead of where the legs go) and the extra width forward pays benefits in wind protection to the legs.

The motorcycle tank or in this case the frunk is designed to be gripped by the knees for proper handling. I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam and find that it's shaped and spaced just about perfectly for me.

I will likely go to lower pegs and may bring the bars up a bit. The seat slope was done by the second day. But I have to say the tank/frunk is just right. Maybe some rubber grip pads to save the paint. I'll have to see how much my Aerostich suit beats up the paint this winter.

I have a 2015 NC700x and my wife has a 2017 CB500x. The 500 has a shorter wheelbase and I think it's more fun to take tight turns and I think a bit cooler looking. But I am bias and really like my NC and prefer to ride it over the 500. She had a tough decision deciding between the two but decided on the 500 because she is 5'5" and felt she could handle the smaller size better but wishes it came with a frunk. One other note, the insurance on her 500 is 1.5 times as much as my NC. My insurance agent says the 500 attracts a younger racer crowd that it more accident prone so it's rated higher.

My only other bike was a Yamaha XT350 (had two of them at different times of my life) and I've never noticed the frunk width.

It's a non-issue. You can always find a stocking dealer and go sit on one.

NC750 vs. CB500x

aceiv,

This summer, just before I turned 67, I decided to get back into riding after a twenty year hiatus. My last bike was a Honda VFR which gave me 30,000 wonderful, trouble free miles.

Wanting a more upright riding position I was drawn to the CB500x, which I think is a great little bike.....for many people.

I am 5'8" tall with a 29" inseam and weigh 235....on a good day.

Since there were so many great reviews I did not even ride the CB before I bought it. What could possibly go wrong?

It was a bit tall and tippy but did a nice job around town. Then I got to take a ride out of town and when I got up to about 50-55 I thought the world was coming to an end. I have been riding since the '70's and I have never experienced so much buffeting and turbulence. In Canada my VFR speedometer, which was probably grossly optimistic, indicated 120 plus on several occasions and out west it was the same. A bit noisy but nothing compared to the CB500x. It was then that I discovered the 'windscreen' threads on the CB500x board. The last time I looked were were pages and pages and pages on windscreens.

All of this is my fault for not riding the bike first, but that is in the past.

A smart person would have sold the bike, kept their mouth shut about making such a stupid mistake and move on. Never have I been accused of being very smart. I doubled down and found a dealer who would take the CB500x in trade for a NC750x DCT. I took an absolute bath on the deal but the ride back from Charlotte to Columbia on back roads, after being lost in Charlotte for longer than I would like to admit, convinced me I finally made the right decision.

It was claimed that Churchill said "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing after they have tried everything else". Turns out there is no proof he said that but it does fit here.

Even though it is taller that the CB, the NC feels much more like a motorcycle.....to me.

Both are good bikes, and I am not trying to trash the CB, but if at all possible don't make the mistake I made by not riding the bikes.

The tank width will be irrelevant. The ride difference might not be.

Good luck,
Slo_Rider

Last edited:
Back