• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Wheel Balancer....

DevilDogMech

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm going to buy a wheel balance one of these days.... what brand do you like?

I've done some research and they all seem to have defects with crusty bearings, untrue axles and bent housings.....

TIA

Will

I went with a very simple Marc Parnes balancer when I started changing my own tires. Universal Motorcycle Wheel Balancer
I asked what I needed to use it for the NC and here's Marc's response:
"All you would need are two CNS cones to make a Universal out of it. You'll find them on my Spare Parts page.

Thanks,
Marc"

I use the one Harbor Freight sells. It may not be top notch equipment (speaking mainly of bearing quality) but it does a satisfactory job. It has adapted to every motorcycle or scooter wheel I’ve tried so far. I did have to replace the set screws on the cones because the Allen socket was some funky size that no wrench would fit well.

Last edited:
Use the Bike

I use the bike. No special tools, just the weights. Let me explain the generic process....

Put bike on center stand; or jack it up so wheel is off the ground. Make sure the wheel is vertical (perpendicular to the horizon); you may have to shim the center stand or jack. Remove any rolling friction from calipers, wheel spacers, Speedo drive, etc. I typically unbolt the caliper(s), wrap them in towels and bungee cord them aside; along with removing the wheel spacers on both sides of axle. You now have a built-in "wheel balancing stand". Proceed with balancing as you would on a stand.

- If the wheel moves left or right on the axle it is not vertical and will rub on something making balancing impossible. I use a vertical level (built into most horizontal levels) held against the wheel or tire to verify.

Questions? Ask away!

I use balancing beads in the tire itself. Have never experienced an out of balance condition with these and the tire will never go out of balance because the beads compensate for that or may e I am just high and never feel anything.

I use balancing beads in the tire itself. Have never experienced an out of balance condition with these and the tire will never go out of balance because the beads compensate for that or may e I am just high and never feel anything.

Some never balance a motorcycle tires with no issues.

One of the most controversial products ............Motorcycle Consumer News published a test a few years back that found they did not work or made no difference. No vehicle or tire manufactures uses or recommends beads or any liquid products in the tire. No nobody has done a blind test with back to back testing. Yes there are many pallor tricks on YouTube with beads and pop bottles.

The topic has hashed and rehashed on almost every forum...........similar to engine oil, K&N or Fram filters, engine break in

Last edited:
I use a Pit Posse balancer, bouht on EBay. I did remove the bearing dust guards,and cleaned out the crappy Chinese grease, and added light machine oil. Works like a charm!
I use a pair of jack stands to support them.
I do use balance beads as well, despite negative reviews by some folks. I have experienced much longer tire wear, although, of course, this is just anecdotal evidence.
I generally use the tie- wrap method to mount tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Harbor Freight balancer. Simple rod and stand with roller bearings. Used the 20% off coupon.
Seems to work fine. Balanced my new ST1300 tires and they rolled smooth for 5000 miles on my trip this summer.

JT

Last edited:
Obviously any of these will work. Some more refined than others. The harbor freight unit will work fine if you pop off the bag sheilds/ seals, clean out the grease and put a few drops of oil. Less friction and a little more touchy ( better for accuracy). I will add that setting the wheel up and using a micrometer w/ arm to check lateral and radial run out is a good idea. If you have ever tried to balance a wheel that has excessive run out ( and not detect or know it) it may be perfect in balance and still shake on the road. Also a necessity when checking and tightening spoke wheels. Hope this helps.

Could you enlighten us on the best way to tighten the spokes on our NC's?

the NCs have mag wheels, obviously no spokes to tighten. If you have ever owned a mc with spokes you would know what I’m speaking of. Of course if someone else does the work you would have no use for technical tools like I speak of.

Run out, axial or lateral is measured with a dial gauge. At different times, I worked years as a mechanical inspector and a motorcycle mechanic.

Dial gauges can also be used for direct measurement. My BMW uses shims to adjust valve clearance, and if shims have to be changed, the old one has to be measured to determine its actual thickness. My digital calipers doesn't have enough rigidity to make an accurate measurement. Made a fixture to hold a dial gauge I have to make the measurement.

dial gauge.jpg

Cost me 20 minutes and didn't have to spend $100 + for a decent micrometer.

Back