• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Slow leak in front tire

Windwalker

Reaction score
Visit site
I seem to have a slow leak in the front tire. Nothing dramatic, I just have to make sure to add air every week or two. I checked the tire carefully and there does not appear to be any nails, screws, etc. stuck in the tire. I have not had any experience with the 90 degree valve stems before. They are very convenient, but I am wondering if they are more prone to leaking. Anyone else have any leakage issues? The funny part is I picked up a nail in the rear tire which I plugged with my plug kit, and it seems to be holding.

I bought my NC700X (non-DCT) back in November of 2017 and I must say I am still very impressed. I have not done anything yet but add a top box and crash bars, but will probably do one of the seat mods when time permits. Over the last 7 fill-ups I have been averaging over 76 mpg in mostly commute riding, which is outstanding, and have managed to break 80 mpg twice. The traffic has been getting worse here in the bay area which keeps speeds lower and helps the mileage. Who would have thought traffic could have a benefit. Engine power is fine for street use and even handled two up with my daughter with no real extra effort.

Other Impressions:

The high-tech dash is nice and conveys a lot more information than my old bike, but I could read my old analog dash at a glance. This one I actually have to "read". I have started wearing 'riding glasses' (+1 readers) to help out. Yes, I am over 60 and the eyes are not what they used to be.

I have finally gotten better at filling the tank. I haven't had any spills or splashes in quite some time and I get a much more consistent fill level.

Just found some more tire leak threads. I always seem to get better results from searches after I post something. At any rate, the other threads have given me a couple of things to try. Thanks.

Last edited:
I seem to have a slow leak in the front tire. Nothing dramatic, I just have to make sure to add air every week or two. I checked the tire carefully and there does not appear to be any nails, screws, etc. stuck in the tire. I have not had any experience with the 90 degree valve stems before. They are very convenient, but I am wondering if they are more prone to leaking. Anyone else have any leakage issues? The funny part is I picked up a nail in the rear tire which I plugged with my plug kit, and it seems to be holding.

Leaks have known to occur at the tire bead. Corrosion sometimes appears on the bead area of the rim, which looks like a white powder. The leak is easiest to detect if you take a small, bite sized chunk of sponge saturated with soapy water and slowly go along the bead looking for bubbles. If you find it, the solution is to remove the wheel, break the bead on that side, sand the rim bead surface smooth with very fine sandpaper, clean it up, then reseat the bead.

I had this happen early on with a rear OEM tire. I fixed it as above and have had no trouble since, even after two more tires were installed. Also, I use NoMar’s paste tire mounting lube, which may act to prevent corrosion, as opposed to using soapy water as a tire installation aid.

You could also check for valve stem/valve leaks using the little soapy sponge chunk.

Last edited:
Back