• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Loudness when gears are shifting

Michaelp

Reaction score
Visit site
I am new to riding a 2105 NC700X DCT. Only has 400 miles. I have riden a cruiser for the past 9years. I don’t know what to expect in terms of hearing the gears change. I can hear it every time it shifts. Didn’t expect it to,sound like that. I just need to know what is normal. Any help here?

Thanks,

Michael

Hey Michael. What you are hearing is probably normal. I also have a 2015 DCT. When I wear my full-face helmet, I hardly notice the clutch baskets moving or the actual gear changes. If I am not wearing that helmet, the shifts do seem sort of loud. But... It is perfectly normal in the DCT. Enjoy your new bike. I have put over 20,000 miles on mine and it has been a joy.
>Thom

The bottom three gears are quite audible on my 2017 DCT especially when the motor is cold. They remain audible when fully warmed up but not as much so. I believe that oil viscosity can affect this aspect, but mostly it doesn't bother me.

Ear plugs are the answer.............seriously. There are dozens of threads on engine and trans and clutch noise on the NC most if not all turn out to be normal. But ear plugs are smart choice for many reasons ........one being your long term hearing loss and the two comforts ones mind on the mechanical noises.

Engine noise discussion one of many :

https://www.nc700-forum.com/forum/n...r-sounds-way-loud.html?highlight=Engine+noise

Trans noise discussion one of many:

https://www.nc700-forum.com/forum/n...ansmission-clunky.html?highlight=Engine+noise

Last edited:
Thanks for the assurances. I do appreciate it. On the earplugs- I loved wearing them on my old cruiser - that thing was LOUD. THE NC700 is MUCH quieter. But I may use them again for peace of mind. Great suggestion.

For those that don’t know it’s not just engine and exhaust noise that can cause a problem.
Prolonged Wind noise is louder than everyone thinks and can cause hearing loss.

For those that don’t know it’s not just engine and exhaust noise that can cause a problem.
Prolonged Wind noise is louder than everyone thinks and can cause hearing loss.

+1 ^^^^^

The hearing damage is mainly from wind noise. And if your exhaust is louder than the wind, then that's a problem, too (for you and for everyone else).

I haven't found an NC windscreen yet that is quiet enough to not justify earplugs, so it's earplugs 100% of the time for me.

Those noises are totally normal. I have a 2013 dct and 2&3rd are louder than the rest. You get used to it. I also think that as you break in the machine more all the parts work more smoothly together. Enjoy and be safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mine is a 2014 manual, i rode it one time without a windscreen and a open face helmet without earplugs. it reminded me of the old cotton gin that used to be down the road from my house. now i have a windscreen, full faced helmet and earplugs, its so quiet. i could just barley hear my chain popping yesterday. hope to fix that in a few days.

Back