• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

"Squishy" Rear Brake

Gr8Wahooka

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone,

So this weekend I replaced my tires on the bike and I noticed my rear brake was a bit more squishy than previously. Now my rear brake did not provide much stopping power before the tire change and I always felt as if I had to really push on the pedal but now it is more so. I inspected the pads when I removed the caliper and they still have some life in them.

The question is, should I bleed the rear brake? Replace the pads? Do both?

I still have stopping power and the front brake still works great but I just want some more response on the rear brake. I have non-ABS brakes.

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

It may have nothing to do with the squishy-ness, but make sure the rear brake caliper bracket is installed over the holding pin on the swingarm. This is a mistake that has been made a few times when reinstalling a rear wheel.

As for the brake feel, I'd first clean the disk with brake cleaner in case it got contaminated during handling.

I'll definitely double-check the caliper. It reinstalled correct, or at least I thought it did, when I put it back on the bike. Everything seemed to be in place. I did do some cleaning of the rear part of the bike while I had the wheel off, so maybe I got something on the disc.

+1 on something on the disk. Probably grease or tire seating lube on the disk and now in the pads.
Some brake cleaner and a few miles should help clean it up.

JT

Back