• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Has anyone tried a Shinko 244 on the front?

I will be able to answer my own questions soon enough. I put a Shinko 244 Dual Sport Tires
SKU: 270601
Tire Size: 4.60x17 62P on the front, the overall diameter is 24.76 in and in case anyone cares it weighs 13 lbs without the heavy duty tube.

The 130/80s that people put on and have to raise the fender are 25.2 so I was hopeful that the fender could remain unmoved. And I guess technically it could. The paper sticker on the tire rubbed but the tire itself did not. Of course when you get to highway speeds it may grow enough to cause problems.:cool:

So before the pictures, the question is, what is the optimal front tire to fender clearance for our bikes?

Stock size contimotion for comparison
ContiMotion120-70.jpg

Shkinko 244 clearance
Clearance.jpg

Side by Side
SideBySide.jpg

New front and rear
ShipmentArrived.jpg

heh heh Chris, i must say that the thought had crossed my mind. I had at one time tried to find a matching set for the front/rear then lost interest as i mostly use my NC for commuting and long road trips. Looks better then i had imagined though, good luck to you! :{)

SO.... I am going to raise the fender to about here ...

FenderPlannedHeight.jpg

To make that worthwhile I need some more clearance on the metal fender support / cross brace

Should_I_Bend_this.jpg

Would it be bad to just use a bar and give it more of an arch?
Do I risk pulling the fork legs together if I do?
What if I braced the width beforehand?

I put 244s on a DR200 I owned several years ago. I'm sorry to say I felt the 244s were nothing short of dangerous on the street. The knobs making up the outer edge of the front tire would bend then suddenly collapse making the tire loose traction suddenly. Most tires can be provoked to do this but they at least progressively warn you of an impending slide while the 244 was sudden. I replaced them nearly new with a Pirelli universal tire set, the MT43s IIRC.

Back