• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

KLR 650 Diesel

I've seen one of those for sale here in FL a few years ago. It was not able to be registered through the FL DMV and made street legal, at least in this state.

WOW, that is so cool! Fred Hayes, who made these years ago is a friend of the AMA Hall of Famer Craig Vetter. Fred has raced his Diesel bikes at Bonneville and in the Craig Vetter mileage contests and usually wins but not by much. See craigvetter.com for further, great time line on several of his Streamlined builds. Fred has been beaten by a man named Alan and his Ninja 250 Streamlined motorcycle. I tried to buy one of the Diesel KLRs many years ago and couldn't find one. Here is a shot of Craig and Fred at Fred's shop before Fred sold his company. :{)
usmc diesel klrs..no longer a myth.jpg

Alan's Streamliner
alans properly streamlined ninja negtted 103.4 mpg at vetter challenge.jpg

Last edited:
Indeed PotterOo.... That'd be a great bike to have. I'll bet riding that thing would be a kick in the pants! Many years ago i dreamed of building a V-twin or inLine 4 diesel bike. What a blast that'd be i'm sure! I could just see a VW TDI(or older manual pump version) stuffed in a big HD frame and then just listen to that turbo spool up during acceleration! Oh man...hahahaha :{)

I have a good friend who was an MSF Chief Instructor and one of his projects was the teach Marines to ride that Hayes Diesel bike at Camp Pendleton. I asked him about the speed of that bike since KLRs are not know for speed plus adding that stuff to convert it to diesel operation, only made it heavier. He said that "in a firefight, you'd be better off on foot." :)

I've seen one of those for sale here in FL a few years ago. It was not able to be registered through the FL DMV and made street legal, at least in this state.

Hey Dave, I sent you a PM, regarding oil filters - did you get it? Just checking...

Back