• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Brake balance, NC750 SA 2016

Pharfar

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I compare the rear brake force with the other bikes I’ve owned, I feel it lacks power. On my model the brakes are not linked (don’t think they have that feature in Denmark). It feels like the rear brake is only for small corrections or low speed braking. I know that the rear brake is a lot smaller, and that I shouldn’t expect a lot happening when used. But even then, not a lot of braking is felt. Balance surely can’t be 70 / 30. Bike is brand new (approx 300 km / 200 miles). Owners manual is in backorder .... sigh. Does any1 know in percent the brake balance?

On any significant braking the weight will transfer to the front and the rear brake will become close to useless.

As you stated the rear brake is for low speed, or for correcting a trajectory (get in the turn). If you plan a significant braking and you have time, you may use the rear break first to sit the bike and limit transfer when you get the front brake.

Most bikes behave this way.

The percentage of how much each wheel provides to total braking power is determined by when that brake is applied and with how much force. Everyone has different habits so the numbers will vary greatly from rider to rider.

Even with a linked brake model, it isn't at all similar to an automobile where everything is controlled by one pedal.

The main reason I ask, is that my Yamaha 660 Tenere could do brake slides. I understand they are different types of bikes, but even my old 1978 Kawasaki Z1000 could break harder (better?) with the rear. But it is not a game breaker to be honest, if that is the way brakes on a nc750 behave. Just something new to get used to

Honda choose an organic pad material for the rear brake pads that has a much lower coefficient of friction than the front brake pads. I suppose they had their good reasons to do this but on the other hand we are able to obtain aftermarket pads that are rated at higher friction if one wishes to upgrade the rear brake. EBC sells sintered metal rear brake pads for the 700s in the highest friction level available. There may be other suppliers.

I have stuck with the OEM pads. I guess I don't use much rear brake because I've never worn a set out - in 30,000 miles on the 2012 and now 28,000 on the 2015 I'm not even close to the wear indicator.

I mostly I use the brake to settle the bike into corners and for the last few feet of rolling to a stop.

There are plenty of stories, most of them true, about aftermarket pads providing improved stopping ability but also chewing up the disc!

You said your bike is new (about 200 miles). When mine was new, it had very soft feeling brakes. After about 400 miles or so it had quite a bit more braking power. It was a very noticeable difference. Depending on your riding style and environment it may take a while to get the pads and rotors seated together.
200 miles of city traffic will seat the brakes faster than 200 miles of highways.

When I got my NC the brakes (front & back) weren't particularly good. Besides not being fully bedded in yet, the brake rotors weren't properly cleaned before I received and the brakes needed to be bled. After cleaning and bleeding the lever & pedal were much firmer and the braking better. Keep in mind that rear brakes by design are not made to be very powerful to avoid locking up the rear wheel. The ability to easily lock the rear brake on clean dry pavement would make for very touchy braking on wet and low traction surfaces.

Keep in mind that rear brakes by design are not made to be very powerful to avoid locking up the rear wheel.

ABS has been standard on the 750 models since their introduction. Ditto most of the earlier 670cc models (Euro, Canada). Seems like non-ABS brakes was a US feature.

I must say I had no idea that Honda was using different pads front to rear. I can say that when I returned from a test ride on a '15 DCT The salesman asked me what I thought.

I loved the DCT and thought the power was OK for solo riding which is what I was looking for. I also said the seat sucked (I knew it would) and the rear brake felt dead. I mean really dead, as in close to worthless.

Could it be that Honda designed it this way to protect beginner's from locking up the rear knowing they would freak out, release the brake, then tank slap and highside? What of ABS? The service manager said it just needs to scrub in.

I still think the rear brakes are dead. I can live with that but I have three bikes and the transition is always a shock.

Honda is by no means the only mfg that uses pads with a lower coefficient of friction in the rear pads than the front. No matter what pads are in the rear, they can only do 25% -30% of the braking that the fronts can do. Once a wheel is sliding it doesn't do a god job of slowing the vehicle down.

When new, I was concerned about the lack of braking performance, esp. the front.
About 1000km on it now, and they are much better. Overall they are not the premium stoppers I have experienced on other brands/models.
Using both in a hard stop, now they are broken in, I feel is adequate performance. But not stellar. Have yet to ride 2 up, so I have some concern they may not be up to par for that job.

Just curious but which models & in which years did they start linking brakes of the various 700/750 models in North America?

I'd be curious about these models:
NC ... "X"
CTX ...

Just curious but which models & in which years did they start linking brakes of the various 700/750 models in North America?

I'd be curious about these models:
NC ... "X"
CTX ...

”Linking” the brakes is apparently a broad concept or is done with various methods. On the 2012 and 2013 NC700X, on the ABS models, the front caliper had three pistons, and the center front caliper piston was actuated by the rear brake pedal. Beginning with 2014, the three pot front caliper went away. Fast forward to 2019, Honda advertises linked braking on the ABS models only, so I’d guess they are doing some magic within the ABS unit. With what model year that began, I don’t know.

Last edited:
”Linking” the brakes is apparently a broad concept or is done with various methods. On the 2012 and 2013 NC700X, on the ABS models, the front caliper had three pistons, and the center front caliper piston was actuated by the rear brake pedal. Beginning with 2014, the three pot front caliper went away. Fast forward to 2019, Honda advertises linked braking on the ABS models only, so I’d guess they are doing some magic within the ABS unit. With what model year that began, I don’t know.
Hmm, so my 13 has a 3 pot caliper already, cool!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Go look and you will know for sure.
Houston, we have a 3 pot.
71c0af43e8135e03416a49c8ada60331.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back