• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is it worth buying and changing tires for slightly off-road riding?

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have next month two 4-day weekends that I plan to spend on solo riding. On the first trip, about 650 miles (and if it finishes good as planned, on second trip too), it's gonna be between 50% and 60% gravel roads, no "real" off-roading.
Right now I have Pilot Road 4 tires on my NC700X DCT. Last year I rode about 30-40 miles on the gravel road in Spearfish Canyon, SD and wasn't so bad, I really enjoyed.
Since I'm gonna spend this time much more on the gravel road, I wonder if it is worth buying set of 80-20 or 60-40 tires, installing them, and changing them later back to PR4, after the trip, since my daily commutes to work, at least 120 miles a day, are 100% paved roads? (And eventually put them back on the bike for the next ride couple weeks later.) Would my ride improve, be easier and safer, with 80-20 over my PR4 on a gravel road, so it's worth the hassle?
When replacing tires, I usually take the wheels off of the bike and take them, with new tires, to the Honda dealer/service and they replace and balance the tires for about $25-$30 per tire. So, first trip will cost me let's say $200 for set of TK-70 or Shinko 705 + about $100 for putting them on and taking them off - about $300 in total. And every next trip just about $100. Is it worth changing the tires for $100 per trip?

Last edited:
i'd keep the cash and just air the tires down a little bit when you foresee many miles of dirt/gravel, then air them back up when you return to the pavement. Just my $.02 worth.. :{)

I have next month two 4-day weekends that I plan to spend on solo riding. On the first trip, about 650 miles (and if it finishes good as planned, on second trip too), it's gonna be between 50% and 60% gravel roads, no "real" off-roading.
Right now I have Pilot Road 4 tires on my NC700X DCT. Last year I rode about 30-40 miles on the gravel road in Spearfish Canyon, SD and wasn't so bad, I really enjoyed.
Since I'm gonna spend this time much more on the gravel road, I wonder if it is worth buying set of 80-20 or 60-40 tires, installing them, and changing them later back to PR4, after the trip, since my daily commutes to work, at least 120 miles a day, are 100% paved roads? (And eventually put them back on the bike for the next ride couple weeks later.) Would my ride improve, be easier and safer, with 80-20 over my PR4 on a gravel road, so it's worth the hassle?
When replacing tires, I usually take the wheels off of the bike and take them, with new tires, to the Honda dealer/service and they replace and balance the tires for about $25-$30 per tire. So, first trip will cost me let's say $200 for set of TK-70 or Shinko 705 + about $100 for putting them on and taking them off - about $300 in total. And every next trip just about $100. Is it worth changing the tires for $100 per trip?
If you are going to be doing this somewhat regularly then I would look for some used rims/wheels and have your gravel tires mounted on them. Then swap between them as. Needed. Me personally I have ridden my CBR 1100XX with PR4 GTs on packed gravel roads plenty. ST1300 and wings too. If it gets Sandy or loose gravel more aggressive tires would be nice. For the money a set of used rims may be worth looking into.
If you are going to lower your air pressure as suggested by raptur above then I would look into a stop n go kit with the small compressor in it.

Stop & Go 6000 Tubeless Puncture Pilot | eBay

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Imho PR's will be just fine on gravel roads travelling at appropriate speeds . I ran mine at about 37 rear and 36 front for general use. I simply would not use 42 psi as recommended on the rear unless carrying a pillion.

Just slow down a bit in the gravel and you're fine. That extra bit of time taken will be much less than all the time an expense of switching tires. With the stock NC suspension, you won't be able to handle anything very rough no matter what tires you install.

i'd keep the cash and just air the tires down a little bit when you foresee many miles of dirt/gravel, then air them back up when you return to the pavement. Just my $.02 worth.. :{)

Front is 36, Rear is 42 (PSI).... how much air would you let out?

Not worth the trouble changing tires for what your doing. I rode to Alaska 4 times so far, 3 times on PRs once to Prudhoe Bay, Deadhorse. Never had a problem. The one time I didn't start with new tires and had to get something along the way had a flat from gravel , ended up waiting two days for another tire.

Unless you are expecting mud or soupy clay on your gravel you should be fine with your street tires. Bring a pump on a test ride and incrementally drop the pressure to see if it increases comfort and control for you.

I run a TKC80/Shinko 805 combo at 26f 30r and it works pretty well for my mixed riding. If it's really sloppy out I will lower them to 20/25. Lower and I start smacking the rim, higher and they get bouncy and darty. My regular commute is over 1/3 soft gravel so I enjoy the more aggressive tires, but the bike did pretty OK with the street tires on gravel when I first got it.

And there is nothing wrong with commuting on Shinko705's :)

I replaced the Pilot Road 3's I had on the bike with the 705's after getting a couple holes poked into them on some of the crushed shale covered dirt roads around here. I like the 705's rain or shine though they are quite a bit noisier than the Pilots, cheaper too.

Front is 36, Rear is 42 (PSI).... how much air would you let out?

Depending on the weight i'm carrying, I usually run right about F28-30/R32-34. I notice the difference and it handles/tracks well for me. As 670 mentioned, i also slow down to a nice cruise. I have an area that i ride a few times a year that is about 150 miles with nearly 34 miles of moderate to rough road. Just a few minutes at each end and it sure makes for a more enjoyable ride for me. All said and done, OP- use what works for you and what you are comfortable with. Ride On!! :{)

Last edited:
I run a TKC80/Shinko 805 combo at 26f 30r and it works pretty well for my mixed riding. If it's really sloppy out I will lower them to 20/25. Lower and I start smacking the rim, higher and they get bouncy and darty. My regular commute is over 1/3 soft gravel so I enjoy the more aggressive tires, but the bike did pretty OK with the street tires on gravel when I first got it.

Do you run the TKC80 up front in this setup?

I'm trying to decide what tires to put on my daughter's NC700X. She wants to ride off pavement a fair amount and being a new rider, I want her to have all the advantages I can get her. I was thinking about going with TKC80 front and Shinko 805 rear for her bike to give her confidence off pavement.

Just wondering how this setup works on pavement with the NC700X.

TKC80 for the front handled my AT well on all types of terrain as well.

The rear 805 combination is OK but as the tires wear out (around 1k+ miles),
the noise and vibration on pavement, is something you have to endure.
IMO, if you and your daughter want to ride "offroad" and enjoy it,
a proper introduction to trail riding would be more appropriate on a more appropriate sized bike:
Honda makes them :)

I'm trying to decide what tires to put on my daughter's NC700X. She wants to ride off pavement a fair amount and being a new rider, I want her to have all the advantages I can get her. I was thinking about going with TKC80 front and Shinko 805 rear for her bike to give her confidence off pavement.

Attachments

• cornerspeed4 (1).jpg
    cornerspeed4 (1).jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 180

New rider, off pavement, on a 500 pound motorcycle? Take DCTFAN’s advice and get some proper training on a small dirt bike.

I ride rough and tough off-road parks with sand, rocks, ruts, and hills on a 218 pound, 144cc trail bike. It teaches me to handle all types of terrain, and it also makes me a better street rider. Knock on dirt, I haven’t dropped a street bike for the last 30 years.

Last edited:
Good to know. I rode from san francisco to whisler, bc (canada) on my nc700x back in 2017 on pilot road 4 tires. however it was all pavement. Planning a trip this year from san francisco to fairbanks, alaska. Reading this thread to find out if i really need to get tires shinko's or tk's. So far, i read that its very do-able on the pilot road 4's

Having a small dirt bike that you ride regularly on dirt can and will make a huge difference in your confidence-level when riding dirt roads on your NC. :)

Good to know. I rode from san francisco to whisler, bc (canada) on my nc700x back in 2017 on pilot road 4 tires. however it was all pavement. Planning a trip this year from san francisco to fairbanks, alaska. Reading this thread to find out if i really need to get tires shinko's or tk's. So far, i read that its very do-able on the pilot road 4's
I'm fairly close to you and also planning an Alaska trip this summer, haven't figured out exactly where though. Was thinking probably farther north - maybe even Tuk (I know, not in Alaska).

Good to know. I rode from san francisco to whisler, bc (canada) on my nc700x back in 2017 on pilot road 4 tires. however it was all pavement. Planning a trip this year from san francisco to fairbanks, alaska.
That trip will also be all pavement except for a few areas of road repair. The days of unpaved highways in Alaska are long gone. The Alaskan Highway in the U.S. has been completely paved for more than 20 years. Fifteen years ago I rode a half-ton Goldwing GL1800 and had zero issues.....Well, there was that time I hit a long stretch of loose gravel (road repair) in the rain....That wasn't too much fun ;-)

Last edited:
Back