• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oil change, 2016 DCT. Rotella OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttttrigg3r

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not a beginner when it comes to changing oil on motorcycles, but I've never had an automatic one before. From what I've read so far, the 2016 700x DCT has a second filter that also needs to be replaced. Is the oil requirement the same for the manual and DCT version of the 700x? I've ran Rotella T6 (Syn. blue bottle) on my other Hondas just fine. Would it be ok to run the Rotella on my 2016 NC700X DCT? I don't know how the DCT works or if it has some special oil requirement.

Edit: Rephrasing my question. Has anyone with the automatic DCT version been running Rotella T6, and how has your bike beeN?

Last edited:
The oil requirements are specified in your owner's manual. Do you have an owner's manual for the bike? The oil recommended by Honda is the same for either NC700X transmission. You are correct that the DCT has a second oil filter not present on the manual transmission model.

We do not make oil brand recommendations on the forum, as it instantly turns into the dreadful "oil thread." You would need to check the Rotella T6 bottle or spec sheet to see if it meets Honda's recommendations.

Rotella T5, 10W-30 is the correct viscosity and gives smoother shifting than the T6 (or any other oil I've used). I'm sure the engine will run fine with a 5w-40 weight oil, but Honda lists 10W-30 or 10W-40 in the shop manual.

I'm not a beginner when it comes to changing oil on motorcycles, but I've never had an automatic one before. From what I've read so far, the 2016 700x DCT has a second filter that also needs to be replaced. Is the oil requirement the same for the manual and DCT version of the 700x? I've ran Rotella T6 (Syn. blue bottle) on my other Hondas just fine. Would it be ok to run the Rotella on my 2016 NC700X DCT? I don't know how the DCT works or if it has some special oil requirement.
No, it does not have certification for use in motorcycles like the NC700X that use a wet clutch. In current forms Rotella oils no longer are recommended for use in gas engines. I have used Rotella oils in the past when they were API rated SL and had lots of zinc but oils change over time to meet current engine requirements so the labeling helps us make good decisions.

The owner's manual and service manual give three specifications for engine oil: API rating SG or higher (gas engines), JASO MA (good for clutches), and viscosity (10w30 or 10w40). A good oil choice will meet all three specifications that Honda recommends. The DCT wet clutches do not give trouble, why go looking for it?

The DCT filter is Honda part number 15412-MGS-D21.

Like the above.

On the DCT I even go as far as using Honda recommended ETec. Half more expensive than "standard" JASO MA but hey, what's 23 $ for 7500 miles (or year) of peace of mind...

Yeah here the service interval is 12000 km which is roughly 7500 miles.

The DCT filter is 10 bucks every two oil changes.

According to owner's manual you can use any oil as long as it meets these requirements.
Honda also highly recommends theirs own synthetic oil, which is not different than any other high quality synthetic oil.

Oil 2.jpg

Oil 1.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. Not going to Rotella T5, still don't trust it enough. About the new T6 that came out in 2017, I'm still using the old T6 that I bought a lot of. Perhaps I'll rephrase my question. Has anyone with the DCT been running Rotella T6, and has your bike been OK?

The owner's manual and service manual give three specifications for engine oil: API rating SG or higher (gas engines), JASO MA (good for clutches), and viscosity (10w30 or 10w40). A good oil choice will meet all three specifications that Honda recommends. The DCT wet clutches do not give trouble, why go looking for it?

The DCT filter is Honda part number 15412-MGS-D21.

Just for fun, here is a photo of the ratings on the back of the T6 container. It does list "JASO" as well as "MA" and "MA2".
I don't pretend to understand all the other ratings or which ones make it the perfect oil for a NC700X DCT model.

I am going to switch to T5 myself, since this discussion points out that it's the correct viscosity..... IF it has the JASO and MA ratings the T6 does.

t6ratings.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. Not going to Rotella T5, still don't trust it enough. About the new T6 that came out in 2017, I'm still using the old T6 that I bought a lot of. Perhaps I'll rephrase my question. Has anyone with the DCT been running Rotella T6, and has your bike been OK?

I used Shell Rotella T6 my last change, and my DCT has been fine for another ~3,000 miles since.

Just for fun, here is a photo of the ratings on the back of the T6 container. It does list "JASO" as well as "MA" and "MA2".
I don't pretend to understand all the other ratings or which ones make it the perfect oil for a NC700X DCT model.

I am going to switch to T5 myself, since this discussion points out that it's the correct viscosity..... IF it has the JASO and MA ratings the T6 does.

View attachment 36496

T5 is for diesel engines. T5 spec sheet shows no API SG (or higher) rating for gasoline engines. See post #4.

https://rotella.shell.com/products/...9b31cde8ded992e8c1c92564660/ro-t5-ulta-ir.pdf

There are many oils available that meet Honda recommendations. I don't understand this attraction to using an oil that doesn't. Go buy a motorcycle oil for your motorcycle. I can buy proper motorcycle oil at Walmart. It's that simple.

Last edited:

View attachment 36496
! out of 3 isn't bad. If you choose the 10w30 blend you get the viscosity and give up JASO MA suitability for wet clutches. JASO DH is meaningless in this discussion as it applies to detergency and soot particulate control in 4 stroke diesels now requiring catalytic convertors.

Choices, choices.

Last edited:
well, Rotella T4 15w40 also states it is a diesel engine oil, but specifically states on the back the following (which meets motorcycles jaso ma/ma2 ratings:
API, CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4; ACEA E9, JASO DH-2, MA/MA 2; Caterpillar ECF-2, ECF-3; Cummins CES 20086; DDC DFS 93K222; Deutz DQC III-10 LA; MACK EOS-4.5; MAN M3575; MB-Approval 228.31; MTU Category 2.1; Volvo VDS-4.5

Rotella T6 has:
API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4 ACEA E9, JASO DH-2, Cummins CES 20086; Volvo VDS-4.5; Detroit Fluid Specification DDC (DFS) 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, MAN M3575, JASO MA/ MA2, Allison TES 439, MB-Approval 228.31

Rotella T5 only lists:
API CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, Cummins CES 20086, DDC DFS 93K222, VDS-4.5, MACK EO-S - 4.5, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, Ford WSS-M2C171-F1
No JASO ratings.....

Last edited:
well, Rotella T4 15w40 also states it is a diesel engine oil, but specifically states on the back the following (which meets motorcycles jaso ma/ma2 ratings:
API, CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4; ACEA E9, JASO DH-2, MA/MA 2; Caterpillar ECF-2, ECF-3; Cummins CES 20086; DDC DFS 93K222; Deutz DQC III-10 LA; MACK EOS-4.5; MAN M3575; MB-Approval 228.31; MTU Category 2.1; Volvo VDS-4.5

Rotella T6 has:
API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4 ACEA E9, JASO DH-2, Cummins CES 20086; Volvo VDS-4.5; Detroit Fluid Specification DDC (DFS) 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, MAN M3575, JASO MA/ MA2, Allison TES 439, MB-Approval 228.31

Rotella T5 only lists:
API CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, Cummins CES 20086, DDC DFS 93K222, VDS-4.5, MACK EO-S - 4.5, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, Ford WSS-M2C171-F1
No JASO ratings.....

I don’t see “API rating SG or higher” for gasoline engines on any of these specs, so none of these oils are recommended by Honda for use in the NC700/750.

Again, there are plenty of motorcycle oils available. Why in the world would you want to use oils engineered specifically for other engine types? If they gave out Rotella for free, I wouldn’t put it in my bike because it is not a recommended oil. dduelin described the recommendations clearly in post #4. It’s very simple to follow.

Last edited:
Rotella was reformulated in 2016 to meet new standards. The older formulation was SM rated, but as above the new formulation isn't. The Rotella T6 used for years in motorcycles doesn't exist any more.

Old Rotella T6:
"API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, C4, SM, SL, SH; ACEA E9; Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-2; Cummins CES 20081; DDC 93K218; Ford WSS M2C171-E; JASO DH2, MA; Mack EO-0 Premium Plus; MAN 3275; MB Approval 228.31; Volvo VDS-4"

New Rotella T6:
"API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4 ACEA E9, JASO DH-2, Cummins CES 20086; Volvo VDS-4.5; Detroit Fluid Specification DDC (DFS) 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, MAN M3575, JASO MA/ MA2, Allison TES 439, MB-Approval 228.31, Ford WSS-M2C171-F1"

! out of 3 isn't bad. If you choose the 10w30 blend you get the viscosity and give up JASO MA suitability for wet clutches. JASO DH is meaningless in this discussion as it applies to detergency and soot particulate control in 4 stroke diesels now requiring catalytic convertors.

Choices, choices.
Then that would not be a good choice, so I will not do that.

shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/f43921f8-8e28-49d7-9022-09d19fffe655.pdf

The spec sheet for the "new" T6 shows SM SN rating. It's just not listed on the bottle.

Last edited:
https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/f43921f8-8e28-49d7-9022-09d19fffe655.pdf

The spec sheet for the "new" T6 shows SM SN rating. It's just not listed on the bottle.

(That link doesn’t work for me.) Proceed at your own risk, then.

Go straight to the web site: 5W-40 Synthetic Diesel Oil | Shell Rotella(R) T6 Full Synthetic | Shell ROTELLA(R)

No API SM or SN on the T6 product sheet: https://rotella.shell.com/products/...43d17a2677da8dd08400c13d51318343/t6-5w-40.pdf

Last edited:
(That link doesn’t work for me.) Proceed at your own risk, then.

Go straight to the web site: 5W-40 Synthetic Diesel Oil | Shell Rotella(R) T6 Full Synthetic | Shell ROTELLA(R)

No API SM or SN on the T6 product sheet: https://rotella.shell.com/products/...43d17a2677da8dd08400c13d51318343/t6-5w-40.pdf

Try copying and paste in your browser. See if that works.
I can't seem to get the forum to let it link.
The links are from shell web site. The are the spec sheets for T6. A little more in depth than the consumer product sheet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 212
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back