• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New Member, planning a RTW trip with the NC700X

KoenNCX

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone!

My name is Koen and I'm from the Netherlands. I ride a 2014 NCX and I want to take it around the world starting early 2019.
For this trip I'm looking for tips and tricks to modify the bike so it will be more of an adventure/off-road bike.

Thanks in advance and hope to see you on the road!

IMG_20180419_170102_159.jpg

If I was you, I’d sell the NC700X and get something else like a cb500x rally raid or something more off road capable rather than modifying the NC700X. You still have lots of time so your not in a rush. My biggest concern is having fuel anxiety in remote places. Yeah I know you can carry fuel but that’s more things to carry. Good luck, be interested in seeing what you come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out "everywhereman.me" for a similar set up and trip. Not much off road though.

If you're planning to camp it would seem the amount of gear needed would limit off-pavement capability to gravel and dirt roads.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the ride Koen, Your NCx is plenty capable for your planned ride IMHO... Pack what you need, pack lite, enjoy the time/ride, take lots of pictures, start a Ride Report so the rest of us can come along and above all else man have some serious FUN!! There are so very many of us fellow NC riders around that if you ever need something while on your trip, we/they'll be all too happy to help or assist you in any way!! And a Hearty Welcome from North IDAHO..!! :{)

There were a couple of brothers that did the South America trip a few years ago on NC's. Seemed to go well

As to mods'

Unless you plan on a passenger, Dales rack is very useful. Allows you to not have to unload a duffle to add fuel. This is available in the states and off of this forum. Can bolt rotopax to that for spare fuel, water containers.
I upgraded my suspension with Cogent Dynamics shock and fork valves.
Seat...many choices
Bash plate and crash bars...many choices
Many other tidbits, but those are my top suggestions.

This shows the Dales rack in place of the rear seat.

20170527_102731-XL.jpg

How large is your modification budget?

Well, It's all about finding the golden mean between starting the trip with a good amount of money, but a less prepared bike, or starting with less money but with a well prepared bike.. I think my budget for mods is 750 euro's

I'm planning a less ambitious USA to Costa Rica trip for next year. Very interested in what you come up with.

Starting is more difficult then continuing. Every trip is ambitious, whether it is just for some days, a month or multiple years.
Are you going to record your trip? And have you already modifyed your nc?

If I was you, I’d sell the NC700X and get something else like a cb500x rally raid or something more off road capable rather than modifying the NC700X. You still have lots of time so your not in a rush. My biggest concern is having fuel anxiety in remote places. Yeah I know you can carry fuel but that’s more things to carry. Good luck, be interested in seeing what you come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip, I will look into that!

Check out "everywhereman.me" for a similar set up and trip. Not much off road though.

If you're planning to camp it would seem the amount of gear needed would limit off-pavement capability to gravel and dirt roads.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thats a nice website to hang around! Thanks for the tip! :)
The plan is indeed to camp.. the other limit to the off road capability is my lack of experience actually ..

Welcome to the ride Koen, Your NCx is plenty capable for your planned ride IMHO... Pack what you need, pack lite, enjoy the time/ride, take lots of pictures, start a Ride Report so the rest of us can come along and above all else man have some serious FUN!! There are so very many of us fellow NC riders around that if you ever need something while on your trip, we/they'll be all too happy to help or assist you in any way!! And a Hearty Welcome from North IDAHO..!! :{)

I'm absolutely planning on starting a ride report!
And a big thanks to the hearthwarming welcome ! :)

As to mods'

Unless you plan on a passenger, Dales rack is very useful. Allows you to not have to unload a duffle to add fuel. This is available in the states and off of this forum. Can bolt rotopax to that for spare fuel, water containers.
I upgraded my suspension with Cogent Dynamics shock and fork valves.
Seat...many choices
Bash plate and crash bars...many choices
Many other tidbits, but those are my top suggestions.

Thanks for the tips.
I was already looking on where to order a rack like that, but thats hard to find for some reason...
Rotopax is a must!
Not sure what I'm going to do with the suspension, most of the mods are really expensive!
And I still need a skidplate indeed.

Hope to find some sponsors maybe to lower the costs :)

Wide foot pegs will help with control and comfort and are well worth the money.

A comfortable seat is necessary for any long distance travel. The stock seat my be good for you. If it is, your set.

Sturdy luggage will be necessary. It doesn't have to be expensive, just sturdy. Hard or soft sides will do. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Tires suited to the riding your doing. Don't stress this too much. They sell tires all over the world.

That's all you really need to look at. Don't get caught up in trying to rebuild it into something else. Minor convenience mods are all you need. If your looking at modifying the suspension, you picked the wrong machine.

Back