• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Gear Indicator?

i think honda screwed up on this one!

Not really because it wasn't cost-effective to add the required hardware on the manual version, only for the display to work.. The auto has all the sensors for this purpose, needed by the DCT, that's why it wasn't really hard for them to enable the gear position on the display. The manual has nothing, no gear position switch inside the tranny, except a neutral switch. The manual version has no idea in which gear you're in, that's the reason why the display isn't working.

I'm another of the people that don't see the need for a gear indicator. After a couple thousand miles on the bike, it's pretty easy to tell what gear you're in by feel and sound. I normally drive by the tach anyway, and if I'm cruising at around 55 and see the tach above 3200rpm, I know it's time to up shift. If I don't feel like looking at the tach, all it takes is to lift the left toe a bit to tell if there is another gear left. Now this is just my opinion and my wife keeps telling me that my opinion is good for absolutely nothing, so for those who would really like a gear indicator all I can say is hang in there. There are aftermarket companies that make gear indicators and I would not be surprised to see an application for the NC in the future (if someone hasn't already come out with one). For those that would like a Genuine Honda version, as others have posted, Honda will sell you one for $2,000 and will even throw in a dual clutch transmission and ABS brakes. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist) :)

Bob

" don't need it"....
In life, there are many things I don't need.
If it is there, or easy to install, etc....I will take it anyway.
:p

Each to their own I guess and everyone can spend their money on what they like. Personally I can think of more usefull things to buy for theNC but then as I said it's a matter of personal choice. As you say there is a big difference between "Need" and "Want"

When only the "need" will be valid for purchase and the "want" is out, I will be out too! Part of life is to have dreams and that will include "wants" for sure. In this we can of course look for the better way to spend money as the amounts not are endlessly available (for me and for most I guess) but it is important to accept to be a guy regardless of age and that will always include some "wants"! :)

So, I'm in if we can find a good solution for activating the gear indicator on the tiny NC700 "dashboard". It is not a bad thing to have although it mostly is not needed!

Back