• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tricky clutch stall from start

Inroads

Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden many bikes in my 50 years of riding and currently have a few in the stable to choose from...
Funny thing about my NC is if you don't give a little gas and slip a little clutch from a dead start it will stall...
I've never experienced that to this degree with my other bikes.....
I'm wondering if I'm alone with this or have others experienced an easy stall when rolling out from a stop if not slightly reving and lightly slipping the clutch ?

Give a little gas and slip a little clutch was how I always thought it was supposed to work. The only exception in my 45+ year history of bikes is the GL1800, where you can just let the clutch out and it rolls away. I do tend to favor smaller bikes, though.

My NC seems normal to me, and this is the first I’ve heard this comment.

Last edited:
Is it different when the engine is cold vs. hot? - My 2012 NC actually has the opposite problem.

I commute on the bike all year and figured out that if it is very, very, cold out I need to feather the clutch and stay off the gas for the first few seconds. Without any gas it will pull away like a champ. However, if I touch the throttle before it warms up it wants to stall.

Aside from riding since '71, I I spent 5 years as a mc mechanic for Yam, Kawasaki & Honda. The NC is one easiest bikes to get moving without stalling due in large part to lots of flywheel energy. I haqve yet to ride a bike that didn't require a touch of throttle and clutch slip to get going. Adjusting the free play in the clutch cable, to change the engagement point can make it easier to control.

Is it different when the engine is cold vs. hot? - My 2012 NC actually has the opposite problem.

I commute on the bike all year and figured out that if it is very, very, cold out I need to feather the clutch and stay off the gas for the first few seconds. Without any gas it will pull away like a champ. However, if I touch the throttle before it warms up it wants to stall.

No difference hot or cold.I never stall all my other bikes but the NC I need to feather and pick up the revs a hair or it might
Stumble and stall.
Not a big deal just more finicky than any other bike I’ve ridden.
Might have something to do with the irregular 270 degree firing order.

Aside from riding since '71, I I spent 5 years as a mc mechanic for Yam, Kawasaki & Honda. The NC is one easiest bikes to get moving without stalling due in large part to lots of flywheel energy. I haqve yet to ride a bike that didn't require a touch of throttle and clutch slip to get going. Adjusting the free play in the clutch cable, to change the engagement point can make it easier to control.

I guess you missed the part that I don’t have stall issues with any of my other bikes....
I know a little about bikes too and about clutch free play.Its not that.Something specific about my bike I guess if others aren’t experiencing it.
The flywheel energy you describe might be the 270 firing order.

Last edited:
I guess you missed the part that I don’t have stall issues with any of my other bikes....
I know a little about bikes too and about clutch free play.Its not that.Something specific about my bike I guess if others aren’t experiencing it.
The flywheel energy you describe might be the 270 firing order.

Since I am completely ignorant in regards to other motorcycle I figured I would play internet guy and ask an alternate question...Is the idle rpm of the other motorcycles higher? No offence intended to anyone just curiosity :)

In my experience hot engine idle is about the same, in the low 1000. Cold start rpm (automatic starter) is low on the NC when compared with my other bikes though.

Since I am completely ignorant in regards to other motorcycle I figured I would play internet guy and ask an alternate question...Is the idle rpm of the other motorcycles higher? No offence intended to anyone just curiosity :)

Good point.I checked the idle.Cold start about 13-14 hundred and warm idle about 1200 rpm.....just about right.
But maybe I’ll bump the idle up a tad just to try it.
Kinda hard to tell exact rpm since each segment is 200 rpm’s.

Good point.I checked the idle.Cold start about 13-14 hundred and warm idle about 1200 rpm.....just about right.
But maybe I’ll bump the idle up a tad just to try it.
Kinda hard to tell exact rpm since each segment is 200 rpm’s.

Good luck bumping up the idle. As with most all fuel injected vehicles, the ECU controls the idle speed. No user adjustment is available.

I never noticed any problems with starting off on the NC700X. Most bikes need coordinated clutch and gas.

Correct idle speed is 1100 to 1300 rpm.

Last edited:
Good luck bumping up the idle. As with most all fuel injected vehicles, the ECU controls the idle speed. No user adjustment is available.

Looks to be an idle screw there.

Attachments

• 53863FB8-7DDB-4461-9E10-BB0A2637F1B5.jpg
    53863FB8-7DDB-4461-9E10-BB0A2637F1B5.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 109
Looks to be an idle screw there.

Looks like one, but if you screw with it, I think the ECU (or PCM) will just fight you with the idle air control valve and put the idle where it wants until you exceed its range , and then you have a mess. I advise consulting the service manual. I don’t have mine readily available or I would check it.

It would be better to look for your problem elsewhere, or retrain your brain to ride it as it is.

Last edited:
That screw it the throttle plate stop screw.......NOT an adjustment. It is meant to stop the plate at an exact position where it won’t stick in the bore but still completely seal. It’s painted with white paint at the factory to remain in that exact position.
Th IACV (idle air controll valve) is servo motor air metering bypass of the throttle plate and is controlled by the ECU. The IACV is responsible for the idle speed.

CF869264-7619-4DB8-B833-686495F81A4C.jpg

Then there’s the call out in the SM........”don’t mess” with the painted nut and screw:

4B5FC1E7-FB3E-4157-AC7D-905D107642BE.jpg

Last edited:
I thought it is a natural part of operating a manual transmission to give a little throttle, feather the clutch, let off the brake and go. Been doing this for 20 years in cars and bikes.
My ST1300 can reasonably start from a stop without throttle input, but I wouldn't ever do that in traffic. It is too slow of a start. Kawasaki C14 can do it easily. My old CB200, not a chance. I don't see it as a problem. I learn the bike and ride it.

^^^^ I like bikes like your ST 1300 where you can take off with finesse clutch and hardly any rev.
Like all my other bikes..........My NC requires a few revs that’s all.
I’ll learn to live with it. .......BTW,I never stall bikes from a start until the NC.

Back