• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Taking a MSF course on a new motorcycle?

Jt105

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking of taking a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course this spring to refresh some skills and learn new ones.

My question is... Do you think I should take the later class when I have more miles on the engine?
By the date of the class, I will have about 800 - 1000 miles on the odometer.

It typically will be cooler weather on June 9 and it is more convenient, but I could wait until June 30 and get another 500 - 1000 miles on the odometer. Both classes have spots available.

These classes generally consist of a lot of engine idling in a parking lot while waiting for your turn to practice/perform a skill. There will be a lot of low speed riding and clutch work.
I want to take it on the NC due to it being easy to ride and it won't boil me to death with engine heat. Then I can practice the drills with my portly ST1300 on my own time in cooler weather.

JT

I wouldn't let the odometer amount deter you from anything as far as the engine goes and the riding environment, more so simply how used to it and how comfortable you feel on the bike, prior to the test.

My opinion: The NC engine can take it. Use it.

I did the advanced rider course on the NC. The superb handling made it easy and fun.

Like Harvey said, the gas mileage was bad on that tank.

Last edited:
I took the Basic Rider course years ago when I first got my motorcycle license. I just wanted to have a refresher course, learn some new skills and get a rebate on my insurance. The NC is so easy to ride I already feel comfortable enough on it to take the class. I was just concerned about the low miles.
You guys are saying not to worry about the engine, so I guess I'll sign up for the most convenient date.

Thanks!
JT

Took the basic MSF class last year with my daughter. I have the DCT so I took the opportunity to ride their bikes to learn how to ride a bike with a clutch lever (I came from a PCX150 scooter!). They strongly recommended that you take the basic class on their bikes, but will allow you to ride your own if you push the issue and they look it over and agree. A lot of people rode their own bikes to the class, parked them and then rode the class bikes. I think some of this had to do with that its also easier to ride the courses on the smaller 250 bikes than what a lot of people own! Part of me thought it would be good to take the class on your own bike as that's what you'll be riding anyway. But it was an opportunity for me to learn the how to do the whole clutch lever thing!!

Just signed up for the Advanced Rider course on June 9!

I'm glad nobody had an issue with using a low-mileage bike in the course. My wife just reminded me that we have a family reunion on the only other available date!

FYI... They require students to provide their own motorcycles in the Advanced course. Makes sense since you should learn skills on your bike and must already have your MC license to sign up.

I took the ARC last year with using my 2016 NC700X DCT with less than 2,000 miles under my belt. They found it fascinating that my bike didn't have a clutch lever. After the class, they asked me if I wanted me to be an instructor but I was working a lot of overtime on the weekends. So don't let your lack of miles bother you.

There were three guys in my class that definitely should have taken the BRC over again or absolutely shouldn't have bought the biggest bikes they could find. If you bond with your bike, ride it like you own it. No matter how many payments you have left.

Techrat.

Back in 2008 I had a new Ninja 250R and took the BRC to get my motorcycle license. If I passed the class I could skip taking the test at the DMV office.
They had an older model 250 for me to use for the 2 days, so I used that. I didn't want to use my bike in a class with others who I didn't know how to ride. Some got kicked out of the class when they dropped their bikes too many times. Clutch and brake issues.

With the NC700, I wouldn't use it to take the class if a smaller, lighter bike with a lower seat height was available.
There's always time to practice afterwards.

Thanks for all the replies guys.
To be clear for future readers of this thread, I'm not a new rider. I just have a new NC700X that I wanted to use for the course. My concern was for the new engine because of all the time where the bike would be sitting still and idling during the course.
The Advanced Rider course requires that students provide their own motorcycle to participate. If not the NC, then my other choice is a 760lb top-heavy 1300 that will boil you with engine heat while idling in a parking lot on a hot June afternoon. That choice doesn't appeal to me.
I passed 500 miles on the ride in to work today. I should pass the 600 mile service this weekend, so I'll have fresh oil and a properly broken-in engine before the class in two weeks.

I took the Basic Rider course years ago when I first got my motorcycle license. I just wanted to have a refresher course, learn some new skills and get a rebate on my insurance. The NC is so easy to ride I already feel comfortable enough on it to take the class. I was just concerned about the low miles.
You guys are saying not to worry about the engine, so I guess I'll sign up for the most convenient date.

Thanks!
JT

I am a re-entry rider who came back to riding 13 years ago after a 20 year hiatus. I take various riding courses to refresh skills or learn new ones on average every two years since and applaud you in your effort. I always learn something or get called out for a bad habit I've picked up.

Either bike you feel comfortable on is the one to ride and the extending idling won't hurt it.

Just completed the Advanced Rider Course today. There was about three hours of class time followed by five hours on the bikes. It rained pretty much the whole time.

I am glad I had run the NC past the first service before the class. We really pushed the bikes hard. Also, I was familiar with the bike and was comfortable with all the controls and handling. This class is for learning skills and to push yourself, not an orientation for your new motorcycle.

At times, there was a smell of clutches and brakes in the air. We did a lot of emergency braking, trail braking, turn-stops, etc. Many of the exercises require you to accelerate quickly then brake, turn, accelerate, brake, repeat.

It was also nice to have the rain as we pushed traction hard while practicing. My chicken strips are less than 1/4". We really got aggressive in the turns. With two instructors and only six students, we had a lot of riding time to increase speeds, shorten stopping distance and push the turns and swerves.

Good mix of bikes, from a 160hp Ducati to a Zero electric motorcycle. The smallest was a new Honda Rebel 500. One guy had his "Loud pipes saves lives" cruiser there. He rode ok, but it really took away from the lesson having to follow that noisy thing during an exercise.

I recommend taking the ARC if you haven't already or if it has been a while since you've taken a class. They changed some of the material and revised some of the riding lessons. It was definitely worth the $50 and a Saturday I invested.

JT

Back