• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

No more pilot road 4 for the NC.

Hank

Reaction score
Visit site
The 4 has been discontinued in our size, 160/60, 17. I like the pilot, which is so much stickier than the stock ones and better in the rain.
I decided to order a pilot road 5. It is ten dollars more and seems to have wider and shorter grooves, with better rain management in the center and less on the edges.
Apparently michelin believes we don't ride on the edges in the rain, which is probably right.
I will report back when they are on.

I saw that and look forward to the review of the PR5. I love the PR4s - I’m on my 2nd set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran a set of PR4 for awhile...wasn't impressed.

Switched to Dunlop RoadSmart II and now the newer RoadSmart III and like them better. Much longer life, and great grip in the wet. Currently have about 13,000 miles on the set right now....

They are now my go to tire ;-)

Last edited:
I quit Michelins too, back with the Pilot Road 3s. I like the Bridgestone T30s but they are discontinued now for the T31s.

Maybe the PR5s will be as popular as the 3s and 4s.

Good suggestions. That Dunlop is highly rated.

I will do some research and talk those over with my tire guy next time . My drz will need a new rear fairly soon.

I am pretty new to motorcycles and always open to suggestions.

Last edited:
I quit Michelins too, back with the Pilot Road 3s. I like the Bridgestone T30s but they are discontinued now for the T31s.

Maybe the PR5s will be as popular as the 3s and 4s.

Hi Dave. What's your take on the Dunlop Roadsmart III? I put a pair on and am really happy early on...500 miles, more or less. But tires are less subjective than something like seats. I'd be interested to hear your take on them.

Z

I had Metzeler Sportec M7 (worst tire i ever owned) switched over to PR4 and never looked back. I'm on my third set

Having a set of PR5’s put on this Saturday ahead of a road trip. Hope to give a review of them late next week.

I had Metzeler Sportec M7 (worst tire i ever owned) switched over to PR4 and never looked back. I'm on my third set
M7RR on the NC?! What a weird idea... These are amongst the best rated SPORT tires, got two sets on the Street Triple and really like them for sport touring. But on the NC that would be a casting error.

Did not like the PR4 on another bike, they are too chatty and feeling is weird for my taste.

Got T30 on the NC which were OK and currently SmartRoad 3 I really like.

Hi Dave. What's your take on the Dunlop Roadsmart III? I put a pair on and am really happy early on...500 miles, more or less. But tires are less subjective than something like seats. I'd be interested to hear your take on them.

Z
Sorry I have no first hand experience with the Roadsmart series.

PR5’s put on today... short ride first impressions:

WOW sure is nice to feel the “new shoes” on NanCy. These tires have a much stronger tendency for lean and turn-in than the stock tires ever had. I barely get the “lean” thought in my head and the bike LEANS. Right now. Very stable on grooved pavement - I road a fair number of miles through a road surfacing area today. No tracking was apparent. Still scrubbing them in so I can’t speak to cornering, though I’m not big on dragging parts anyway. So far it’s been a confidence inspiring set of tires. A couple thousand miles this week and I’ll know a lot more.

I had the rear pilot 5 put on yesterday. Rode cautiously home doing a little weaving to scrub them in.
They felt fine. I do not ride in the rain much, so it may be a bit before I test that part of it.

I noticed the Michelin PR5 rear is double the price of a Shinko Raven or a Conti Motion. Are they worth it?

seems like they'd have to get 20,000 miles on them since I get 10,000 on the Contientals.

How far can you PR5 folks go before it's time to replace tires?

seems like they'd have to get 20,000 miles on them since I get 10,000 on the Contientals.

How far can you PR5 folks go before it's time to replace tires?
No one knows yet... They literally just came out.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I noticed the Michelin PR5 rear is double the price of a Shinko Raven or a Conti Motion. Are they worth it?

Well, maybe not for everyone. Mileage will have a least some bearing on that judgement. While I can’t speak to longevity, I do have just over 1100 miles on a new set this week. My trip so far has been a full compliment of high speed interstates, hard riding through the hills and twisties of Arkansas, and stop and go in heavy rush hour traffic. Construction road resurfacing and the usual rough patches. My take so far is:

They were expensive. And if the only criteria is how many miles per dollar, then they may not be “worth it” to a lot of folks.
They aren’t going be any less susceptible to punctures than any other tire and if that happens it will really hurt the pocket book.
On the other hand, I can tell you what they feel like compared to the stock tires and in comparison to all other bikes and tires I’ve ridden on.
I like them. A lot. They make the NC feel like a different (and better) motorcycle. They don’t wander or follow seams or grooves. They handle turn-in and pull-up with minimal fine input from the bars. The bike feels far more planted in the curves - takes ‘em like it’s on a rail. I don’t generally ride “hard” or try to run time trials in the twisties, but the handling now is much more confidence-inspiring and the bike feels solid when laid over quick and sharp. And I’m running fully loaded with luggage. Never a wiggle or pucker moment that I know - from experience - I would have felt with previous tires and the stock hoops on the NC.

The only situation I have not experienced so far with these tires is rain. But that’s coming later on this trip, I’m sure.

I hope I get decent miles from them. I’m not made of money. But the handling so far has made me very satisfied with the purchase.

Hope this helps. Happy Trails!

I'm curious on the PR5's too. I bought a set of Conti's Motions due to everyone's liking them but I'm ready to change. I'll wait for the review on the PR5s or looking into the Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs

I'm still on Continental Motions for the NC, but I have Michelin Pilot "Power" tires on the FJR. I'm still wearing the first set of those out, so I'll post the mileage when I know it.

The Pilot Power are the cheap end of the Michelin line, I believe, but they're still a little more than the Conti.

Back