• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Price drop on 2017 models once 2018 NC750X comes out?

monktues

Reaction score
Visit site
For those of us in the states, it looks like the 2018 NC750X will come out sometime this summer.

Any idea how much the current 2017 models will drop in price once the 750 comes out? Has anyone tracked the price drop in previous years?

I'm looking to get a low/no mileage earlier DCT model but there aren't any currently in the San Diego area. The few 2017 models are about $8300 (full price). I might wait until the fall to buy a 2017 model if the price might fall $1000 or more. But I have no idea if that's realistic.

Honda won’t drop the MSRP on the 2017s. What’s in dealer stock is up to the dealer to decide a price. Actual sale prices vary WIDELY based on dealer style and motivation even today, and will continue to do so after 2018s arrive. You couldn’t put a finger on a price drop number, if any. It all depends on the buyer shopping around, and finding a motivated seller willing to deal.

Old stock of NC700Xs is pretty common. I often see 2 or 3 year old new models on showroom floors. CycleTrader currently shows 157 new 2014 and 2015 NC700Xs for sale at dealers in the US, and there’s even still 7 new 2012 and 2013 unsold models out there. It’s surely not like they’ll try to sell all the 2017s to make way for the 2018.

You might want to expand your shopping radius. I think one forum member from southern California went to Arizona to buy, and rode the bike home.

Last edited:
It really depends on where live and shop.
There are dozens of prior posts on new bike pricing........most if not all report that 15-16-17 NC selling for huge discounts off MSRP. As mentioned MSRP rarely drops but as in pickup truck sales dealer incentives and rebates are common practice.

As always advertised price and actual sale price out the door are two completely different things.

Dealers may have access to left over models ( non current) but may not stock the actual models. Some dealers will only order a non current model only after the customer asks and paid in full. Unfortunately for all involved........ Stocking non current models ( waiting for a customer to show up) and selling at a huge discount does not make for a successful long term business plan.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on MSRP.

There are a lot of manual models out there but only a few old stock DCTs (39 on CycleTrader).

You might want to expand your shopping radius. I think one forum member from southern California went to Arizona to buy, and rode the bike home.

That's exactly what I'm considering doing. I live in San Diego and there are 2016 DCT models for $6k in Las Vegas and Phoenix. If I can't find a deal closer, I'll probably do that.

In the NoVA area there are really no '17's DCT to be found, standard shift yes. There's one '15 DCT demo available. In any case I'm waiting for a 750X.

A WV dealer could have ordered one from across the country but was hesitate because of problems in the past.??? WTF.

I've found dealers that said they have no call for NC's but they don't know anything about them either. And there's the Honda New Concept paradox. Low sales, low interest, low advertising, yet still no DCT's in the dealer pipeline.

The last dealership I was in that had any respect for a NC was in Quebec. Go figure.

It could be Honda has no inventory or extreme low inventory of the NC700 ..........so the dealer stock is all that’s available. It appears that very few dealers actually have stock. 700 DCT version is likely becoming a short supply and used might be the only choice.

Since the official release date has not been sent for the 2018 NC750 the dealers have no idea when they are going to be available.

As far dealer interest that also varies widely..........my local dealer sells 50 ATV and SxS for every motorcycle........so his interest and inventory is not in bikes. He is an independent business person just like every dealer and sells what sells.

That's exactly what I'm considering doing. I live in San Diego and there are 2016 DCT models for $6k in Las Vegas and Phoenix. If I can't find a deal closer, I'll probably do that.

That'd be pretty cool, to make a great deal on line/over the phone and then fly out there and ride it home!! :{)

That'd be pretty cool, to make a great deal on line/over the phone and then fly out there and ride it home!! :{)

Looks like that's not going to happen. I called this morning and the DCT models in AZ and NV are the "49-state" models and not compliant with California emissions standards. From what I've read elsewhere on this forum, only used bikes (>7500 miles) can be bought out of state and then registered in California.

Crazy California! At least the weather's nice.

Looks like that's not going to happen. I called this morning and the DCT models in AZ and NV are the "49-state" models and not compliant with California emissions standards. From what I've read elsewhere on this forum, only used bikes (>7500 miles) can be bought out of state and then registered in California.

Well that’s interesting because I just went and looked at the emissions sticker on my 2012 manual NC700X that was originally purchased new in the state of Georgia, and it says it is California compliant. I know one of our members here bought his new in Arizona and took it back to California. If a dealer told you this info about the 49 state bikes, ask them to send you a photo of the emissions label on said bike. If they really want to make a sale, they should take the time to do that for you.

Maybe it’s the DCT that makes a difference, although I can’t see why, or maybe the early models were 50 state but not the later models. Or, maybe it's random.

Last edited:
2015-2016-2017 there was 49 state and 50 state models in the NC line up.
Not sure what the difference was but it’s not related to DCT........... 49 state models are NOT allowed to licensed or titled in CA. There are restrictions on “importing” 49 state used bikes into CA. Those restrictions might different for current residents vs a person moving into the state.

Last edited:

Have you checked cycletrader? They show over a hundred nationwide. Might find some that are California compliant.

2015-2016-2017 there was 49 state and 50 state models in the NC line up.

I only asked about the 2015-2017 models because that's all they had in stock. The Arizona dealer was the one that brought up the limitation and sounded pretty knowledgeable about it (and he didn't have any incentive to tell me except not wasting both our time if the sale wasn't going to work).

I checked with two different people at the Las Vegas dealership (just to make sure, one by phone and one by text) and both confirmed that the model they had was the 49-state model.

Because both dealerships are close to the California border, they both seemed to be knowledgeable about the 49 vs. CA problem.

Over the last few days, I've tried to track down any DCT model (any year, used or new) on cycletrader, craigslist and dealer websites and out of 10 leads, only two are actually available!

1. new 2017 in Orange County (listed at MSRP--$8300)
  2. 2013 with 12,000 miles ($5k, 6 hours away in AZ, enough miles to register in CA, I think)
I'm leary about buying a used motorcycle without seeing/riding it (my previous 4 motorcycles over 24 years have all been used).

I'm going to check out #1 this morning...

Interesting. I could be wrong but I thought the 49 state/CA model thing was put to bed years ago. Here is a EPA sticker for my 2015 sold in Florida. Someone with a CA bike go and look and see if the sticker is different on a CA bike. Look on the left side frame tube below the seat.

Attachments

• IMG_2413.JPG
    IMG_2413.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 127
Interesting. I could be wrong but I thought the 49 state/CA model thing was put to bed years ago. Here is a EPA sticker for my 2015 sold in Florida. Someone with a CA bike go and look and see if the sticker is different on a CA bike. Look on the left side frame tube below the seat.

My 2012 stickers (both Illinois and Georgia sales) say what yours does but adds a phrase specially about California. Yours appears to meet US regs but doesn’t meet the stricter California regs, otherwise it would say so.

Interesting. I could be wrong but I thought the 49 state/CA model thing was put to bed years ago.
The confusion I think, is in the naming convention: "49 state compliant".

Thirty or forty years ago California instituted their own requirements (CARB or California Air Research Board), and they were indeed the only state (hence the 49 state moniker) with those requirements.

Now however, other states also require emissions levels similar to California (Maine is one of them). All new vehicles sold in Maine since 2000 must meet well, Maine emissons standards (which are the same as California emission standards). My NC has full Evap controls including solenoid valves and canister (that is why many of the posts on AUX fuel tanks and plumbing didn't apply to me).

Rather than change the "49" to "48" or "???" to indicate how many states have Cali emissions they just stuck with the number 49.

BTW, that is also one of the reasons why you cannot buy 100% pure gasoline in Maine or many other areas in New England

There are currently about 13 states that have the same emission standards as California. I presume buying a vehicle in any of those states would allow you to register it in Cali.

EDIT ^^^ this is incorrect. I found out that not all states that require California CARB emissions for motor vehicles include motorcycles in that requirement. You can purchase a motorcycle from a Cali CARB emissions state but it might NOT meet Cali CARB requirements...

Sorry for the confusion :-(

Several years ago I tried to buy a new Mercedes Blu-tec diesel but they weren't allowed to be sold in Maine since they didn't meet CARB requirements.

Many manufactures simply build a single model that is California compliant, thus allowing their vehicles to be sold nationwide, so in that sense you are correct about it being "put to bed".

Last edited:
How did ‘Merica ever get so fractured... :( Different states? More like different countries.

Sorry. Rant over

How did ‘Merica ever get so fractured... :( Different states? More like different countries.

Sorry. Rant over
Some states care about clean air and I guess others...not so much ;-)

Until you lived in the Valley of the Scum (1990-1998) and have seen the brown sky that hangs over it you have no idea ;-)

Last edited:
I get the air quality aspect. Sorry, it just sparked the broader, more politically driven question brought on by the late hour and a wee bit of excess wine...

Completely off topic and inappropriate for this venue. My bad

Now however, other states also require emissions levels similar to California (Maine is one of them).

I found the list of states on this Wikipedia page:

The states that have adopted the California standards are: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (2011 model year), New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia.

This gives me a good list to search on cycletrader.

Unfortunately, the bike I went to see this morning in Orange County doesn't exist. The salesman basically lied to get me in the store and wasted my Sunday morning. I won't be going there again.

Back