• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Test Ride DCT in San Diego?

monktues

Reaction score
Visit site
My current commuter is a 2005 VStrom 1000 with >100,000 miles and it's time to move on.

I'm seriously considering an NC700X after riding a manual model today. However, I can't find any used DCT models in the San Diego area to try out.

Does anyone know where I could test ride a DCT model?

If not, I might just take a chance and buy one with DCT and try it for a year. There's a new 2016 DCT at RideNow PowerSports in Las Vegas for about $6,000. I'm thinking about buying it over the phone, getting a one-way ticket to Vegas and riding it home (340 miles with an overnight stop at a friend's house).

Has anyone else bought the DCT model without test riding it first?

I don’t know of any. I just wanted to point out as a curiosity that the YouTuber Wheels not Heels rides a dct and lives in San Diego.
In case of ambiguity I am NOT suggesting you can ride hers.

I purchased a 2016 DCT in August of last year without test driving a DCT. It is fantastic! Even though it will shift for you, you have paddles on the left grip that you can manually override the computer. So if you want to pass, you can downshift. If you want to engine brake, downshift. You can also upshift, but I haven't had a reason to do it yet. The computer will also recognize if you are going up a hill or down a hill and shift accordingly. Some people like to put it in 'S' mode because it changes the shift points. I just leave it in 'D' and use the paddles to shift if I feel the need.

I also purchased a 2016 DCT used without a test ride. I drove 500 miles to pick it up and rode the first time when I got home. I'm happy with it.
It's a great commuter and I enjoy it on mountain twisties. Don't buy it if you want to pretend you're a GP racer; even though some racers now use a DCT transmission.
Great bike for the money.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I wanted the DCT, but there were no good deals any where near my area. So i grabbed the a 2012 manual NC700x with only 1702 miles on it. Just couldn't pass up the price and $2,500.00!! I figured, if nothing else, i'd enjoy it for a while and then grab a DCT later and sell the manual one for a nice little profit!! :{)

I wanted the DCT, but there were no good deals any where near my area. So i grabbed the a 2012 manual NC700x with only 1702 miles on it. Just couldn't pass up the price and $2,500.00!! I figured, if nothing else, i'd enjoy it for a while and then grab a DCT later and sell the manual one for a nice little profit!! :{)

2500!? Good Lord, man, was there a title with it? :p.

You can’t go wrong with that deal.

heheheh, yes there was actually! I saw the Craig's List Ad and answered it right away figuring it was already sold or id have several guys in front of me. Much to my surprise, i was the only one who had called on it. I asked him what he'd take for it, and he named his price! I told him it was SOLD!! When we arrived and saw that it was in near perfect condition with a new battery that he just installed, I didn't have the heart to dicker or grind on him at all!! My son was home from the Army so both of us drove the 100+ miles down there and got it!! After a quick test ride, I returned and handed him the cash! My son and I both nearly burst out loud laughing as we left the guys place! 1702 miles and he'd never touched it, still had the original oil! First thing i did after i got it home was to check it all over and change the oil! Although i have no complaints and am so very pleased with it, i'd love to have a DCT. So go forth and NC on!! :{)

Back