• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X DCT for First Time Rider?

Jarrett

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I'm brand new to the forum. I've been kicking around getting a motorcycle for the first time, but really don't have a good idea where to start with them.

After doing a short bit of research, I really like the specs of the NC700x DCT ABS. To be fair, the main reason I like it is that it has a somewhat "automatic transmission."

I just finished day 1 of my MSF Basic class today and enjoyed it, but wasn't too fond of the clutch on the trainer bike I was riding, which was a tiny Kawi 125 I think. Felt like a kids bike.

As someone who knows nothing about motorcycles, its seems like that DCT technology would be a good entry point for a new rider just to simplify the experience. Is that the case?

About me, I'm 47, 6'1" tall, 265 lbs. I ridden highly modified jetskis for about 15 years and used to handling the arm ripping acceleration and hard turning from them. I've also done 19,000+ miles on road bicycles in the last 5 years, riding all over the backroads of Texas and Oklahoma, including several mutli-day tours where you throws some bags and clothes on the bike and ride from town to town relying on your own power to get you from place to place.

I think I'd like to do that on a motorcycle as well and it seems like the NC700x DCT would be a good platform for that, is that correct? Does it have enough power to go a couple of hundred miles on a 70-75 mph highway? Or would I need a bigger bike for that? Are the generally reliable? In general, is it a good bike to start on for someone in my situation? Thanks in advance!

You sound exactly like me. I purchased the NC as my first motorcycle ever in August of 2017. Going from riding my bicycle 3,000+ miles/year (I still ride my bicycle) to riding a motorcycle has been an easy transition. I have found the DCT to work flawlessly and it has allowed me to focus on riding the motorcycle. I have only ridden on interstates a few times but I had no problems doing 75 and still had plently of throttle left. In the short time that I have had the NC I have had no problems and from what I have read on this forum the NC is almost bullet proof. I have read about several on here who have ridden their bikes to Alaska, across the country, and into Central America. Given this, I believe that it will do almost anything that you ask it to. I have several long distance trips planned in the next couple of summers.

OK then, sort of in order. DCT is automatic transmission, like fully auto if you want it that way. There is auto mode, but no clutch just buttons.
I came off of scooters, Piaggio MP3 500 for several years (still have it), and I'll tell you the scooter could handle multi day interstate touring just fine.
So yeah, the NC700 will do just fine on 70-75 MPH (even 90 is fine on this one).
You don't need a bigger bike. Hell my MP3 500 would do OK but not have much in reserve on the interstate (which is the sole reason I have my NC).
Generally reliable? No idea, I just got my NC. Good bike to start with? Mmmm, well I started with a scooter, so maybe, maybe not.

Thanks for the response. I've got a second question for you specifically.

Do you ride your bicycle less after the motorcycle purchase? I'm a little concerned about that. Motorcycling replacing cycling for me.

I found that my bicycle skills really helped a lot with the low speed maneuvers at the MSF course today.

PS, during high school and college I had no car (never did own one until I got a 'real job'.
Rode my bikes ~6-7,000 miles per year for about 7 years.
Year round, regardless of weather. You haven't lived until you've burned up at -30F.

Thanks for the response. I've got a second question for you specifically.

Do you ride your bicycle less after the motorcycle purchase? I'm a little concerned about that. Motorcycling replacing cycling for me.

I found that my bicycle skills really helped a lot with the low speed maneuvers at the MSF course today.

You have good reason to worry.

Ultimately the answer is yes. However it is not solely because I got a motorcycle. In the beginning of July, a friend I was riding with went around a corner wide, exited the road, wrecked his bicycle, and died right in front of me. Since then my desire to ride has been less and I struggle to get on my road bike. But I have also gotten busier at work and I have been riding my mountain bike much more. My motorcycle riding so far has been when I have an hour to spare and I wouldn't have time to get in a bicycle ride anyway. Here lately I have found that I have been looking for areas that I can ride my motorcycle to and then ride my bike when I get there. I have a friend who also rides both motorcycles and bicycles and he has this rack: Our Shop | 2x2 Cycles Although I haven't gotten the rack yet, I do have plans to get it. I believe that it will only take away time from your bicycle if you let it. It could also enhance you riding experience by being able to get out on two wheels on your recovery days or after you have finished a ride and have tired legs but still want to be out ejoying life.

I've got options for 2014-2017 models.

Is there a year preferable to others? How big a deal is that S1-3 upgrade?

Also, is DCT dangerous? I read people say, "it downshifts in corners" or "without the clutch, I can't engine break" and things like that.

Does not having that clutch control make the bike inherently more dangerous to ride than a traditional bike?

I've also read here that you can't really accelerate past 70 on the highway to pass well. Is that an issue?

Also, is DCT dangerous? I read people say, "it downshifts in corners" or "without the clutch, I can't engine break" and things like that.

Does not having that clutch control make the bike inherently more dangerous to ride than a traditional bike?

I've also read here that you can't really accelerate past 70 on the highway to pass well. Is that an issue?

You can manually downshift using the paddle shifter (I don't).
I guess I'll just say the short answer is 'no'.
As to acceleration, I've had min over 90, probably about 95. No complaints.

This is plain dumb. Engine braking is not about the clutch but being able to down shift, which you can always do manually if the DCT does not.

The only drawback is potential downshift while cornering, which is not "dangerous" but destabilizing. Especially in very tight turns when doing 2 -> 1.

The huge advantage is that you can't miss a gear. And you will hardly lock the rear by downshifting while at too high RPM.

I typically manually downshift before a corner if I feel the DCT might not do it.

If the engine stops the clutch will disengage (it requires oil pressure).

Well in short : no, the DCT is probably safer.

Oh and also if you need to pass, just twist all the way and the DCT will drop one or too gears to give you the best acceleration. Faster than a manual clutch.

Ok passing at high speed with the NC is slower than bikes with engines revving to 12000. But if you are doing high speeds on a regular basis (say more than 80 and passing at that speed), the NC is not the right bike.

I have had no problems with it downshifting in twisties or corners. The DCT has been around for ten years, it is not experimental. The program is very sophisticated; it is not just “shift at 2300 rpms.”

As for power, this is not a race bike. If you are going sixty and need to get to eighty, it is going to take awhile, but that is due to gearing and tuning, not the transmission. The bike has plenty of power for me.

Cool, thanks for the info. I typically drive a Toyota Tundra and the times are rare that I need to race up from 65 to 85 or 70 to 90.

Maybe asked another way, do you use the NC700x on the highway and feel it has enough power?

Jarrett:

My situation was similar--mid-40s, experienced cyclist, first motorcycle, and concerned about clutch management.

The NC700 got me into motorcycles again. Im happy the DCT is there, and have never felt unsafe because of it.

I like have the paddleshifters to manually shift when I want to. I also like being able to just drive away from a stoplight without continually stomping my toe to ensure Im back in first gear. Coming to a quick stop I love feeling it downshift on its own.

For your height and weight, youll want to check cycle-ergo.com to see how youll sit on it. The Africa Twin also has DCT these days, I think.

The 'automatic clutch' transmission is different from a manual so that's where those objections arise. Do you worry that your auto transmission car doesn't engine brake? Of course not. You can manually downshift the NC for engine breaking, but because the NC's engine is engineered for lower internal friction, it's less noticeable (I do it mainly for the aural enjoyment). Honda motorcycles have the reputation of being the most reliable of brands (but the other japanese brands have caught up) and the low reving modest hp to displacement of the NC certainly suggests a long lifespan. They sell like hotcakes in Europe as everyday transport, so they're well vetted. There's one member who's done a couple Iron Butt Rallies on one (Heading to the start of the 2017IBR)

Last edited:
It is a very good beginner bike. No debate there.
DCT or automatic transmission will forever handicap you like car drivers who started exclusively on Auto gears.

If I were you, I’d buy a manual because that is very important skill to me. But not everyone thinks like that, so maybe you will like the automatic and end up riding only bikes with automatic.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All good advice here. I'm 6'3", almost 70 and my knees aren't in good shape. I've made a few changes that you might consider but if you're more flexible they may not be necessary.
Lower footpegs, $45
Handlebar risers, $50
Thicker (better) seat, $100 - 300
Highway pegs, $75 - 150
Tall windscreen, $150 - 300
There's plenty of good advice here for these and other mods.
Other bikes may need similar mods. I like the NC because it's a good bike with great handling at very reasonable price so I can afford to set it up the way I want.
Best regards,
Garry

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jarrett:

For your height and weight, youll want to check cycle-ergo.com to see how youll sit on it. The Africa Twin also has DCT these days, I think.

I tend to agree with this comment and it was the first aspect of NC ownership that occurred to me when I saw your 6'1" height. The Nc could be a little cramped for You. Best try one for size.

Back