• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Brake Pads

potter0o

Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was replacing my rear brake pads and noticed the stock pads had some clips/shims on the back of them. I don't see them mentioned in the service manual. Are these items required? New pads on top with old on the bottom.

P1030821.jpg

Yes, they are an engineered part of the brake system. Aftermarket pads should reuse the OEM backing plate if the pads don’t come with them.

What he said. I took photos of their position prior to taking off my brake pads to ensure they were transferred correctly.

I was replacing my pads using some EBC pads and doing a little research and found this thread and came up with a question regarding the little documented shims. When I pulled the rear pads they did not have the shim. I can easily believe that I did not pull them off the old ones when I replaced the pads about about 2 years ago. However, looking at the EBC catalog @SaturdayMorning posted in this thread:
Galfer Rear Brake Pad Fitment Issue

It looks like the clips are only mentioned on the front pads and not the rear:
EBC front pads.jpg

EBC rear pads.jpg

As b_rubenstein points out the parts fiche picures seem to indicate the shim is present on both the front and rear. Does anyone know for certain the shims are OEM on both front and rear? If I bought the OEM pads do they come with the shims?

Thanks,
Ackme

Back