• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2014 DCT no start

JimTid

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I loaded up my 2014 NC700 DCT Saturday afternoon for a ride to Daytona to watch the Supercross race with my riding buddy. I turned the ignition key to on, the neutral light was illuminated. Hit the start button- nothing. I checked the kill switch and side stand still nothing. I recalled that last time I shut down I was in gear instead of neutral. I spun the rear wheel on the center stand, pressed the MT/AT, D/S and +/- buttons, no change in status. Called dduelin for help, he suggested disconnecting the battery. I did that and still no change in status. I had a spare battery so I replaced the battery and it started. There was nothing wrong with the battery.
Lesson learned: If you shut down in gear it may lock up the transmission. You may be able to get the neutral light to come on using the neutral button but the transmission may not be in neutral. The solution for me was to remove the battery power (for more than a few seconds). During my trouble shooting I did a quick disconnect with no change in status. When I disconnected for the minute to change out the battery it was enough time to clear the lock up. Thanks dduelin for your help.

Does the trick about holding the front brake lever in apply here?

So the real test in this case is...............put the old battery back in..........the will verify ( or better said iliminate as the cause or least confirm the battery condition) if the battery or some other cause is the real reason for the no start.

It goes with out saying but as soon as you touch the battery you also touch or change the cables and their connection and change their ability to carry the power. So a few more tests are needed to determine the exact cause.

Last edited:
Go to Honda web site and enter your vinn # to check for recalls. My 2014 manual had a recall for a starting issue but off the top of my head I dont remember what it was. But I did take it to the dealer and they took care of it.

Putting the gear in Neutral is a best practice to avoid engine starting problems due to a weak battery because of cold weather (cold weather decreases battery strength and the engine also needs more power to start it) or because of increased parasitic drain.

It’s also described as a procedure in the owner’s manual...

Multi viscosity oils were developed to minimize oil resistant to flow in cold temperatures. It’s not much of a factor any more. The main reason batteries lose cranking power in low temperature is the chemical reaction that creates electricity in a battery slows dramatically and the battery cannot keep up with the demand placed on it.

In fact, physics does not agree with this.
The resistance of the electric current increases with temperature. It may not be too significant because the rise in resistance of the current is less than 10% between 40F and 70F.
The problem is lubricant and motor oil whose density and viscosity increases significantly with temperature drop.
An additional factor of difficult ignition is cold and moist morning air.
Batteries are about (electro-)chemistry. The reaction slows down when cold, and speeds up with heat. The ideal temperature for a lead acid chemistry battery is 77°F. Everything above that will increase performance, corrosion, self-discharging, and everything bellow that will decrease performance, corrosion, self-discharging...

Lead acid batteries are really well documented. A nice source of information is batteryuniversity.com.

Lootzyan, your profile does not show your location. Do you have any day to day experience starting vehicles in cold weather ?

The key is the proper maintenance. Any battery related problem can be avoided by having a clue about its status.

But for most It’s just a heavy black box...

Back