• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What did your 600 mile service cost?

smegma11

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm trying to get an idea what my first service will cost on my NC700XD. Here the Honda place charges $75 an hour which seems cheaper than what the labor rate was in Florida. I recall it being $115- $125 per hour. I have purchased the oil and filter from them already so it all depends on how long there 600 mile service takes.

My machines never return to dealers except for safety recalls. Therefore, my 600 mile service probably cost me less than $25 for supplies. Note that the DCT has an extra oil filter not used on the manual transmission. Dealers have been known to be ignorant about the DCT filter. There’s very little that needs to be done at 600 miles so I can’t imagine it being a reason to take it to a dealer. It’s pretty much common sense inspection and adjustment that owners should really be doing themselves for their own safety.

By law in the U.S., warranties do not require you to pay a dealer for the service. Just keep records and receipts.

If you Google “nc700-forum 600 mile service”, there are a whole bunch of prior threads on the 600 mile service topic.

Last edited:
My machines never return to dealers except for safety recalls. Therefore, my 600 mile service probably cost me less than $25 for supplies. Note that the DCT has an extra oil filter not used on the manual transmission. Dealers have been known to be ignorant about the DCT filter. There’s very little that needs to be done at 600 miles so I can’t imagine it being a reason to take it to a dealer. It’s pretty much common sense inspection and adjustment that owners should really be doing themselves for their own safety. By law in the U.S., warranties do not require you to pay a dealer for the service. Just keep records and receipts.

If you Google “nc700-forum 600 mile service”, there are a whole bunch of prior threads on the 600 mile service topic.

It’s easy and doesn’t require a lot of tools or mechanical expertise. Just some time, but you’ll feel a real sense of accomplishment knowing it was done right and nothing was scratched, skipped, or stripped. And the help from this forum will give you every detail you need short of how to make the coffee :cool

Oil Change

My machines never return to dealers except for safety recalls. Therefore, my 600 mile service probably cost me less than $25 for supplies. Note that the DCT has an extra oil filter not used on the manual transmission. Dealers have been known to be ignorant about the DCT filter. There’s very little that needs to be done at 600 miles so I can’t imagine it being a reason to take it to a dealer. It’s pretty much common sense inspection and adjustment that owners should really be doing themselves for their own safety.

By law in the U.S., warranties do not require you to pay a dealer for the service. Just keep records and receipts.

Believe me, I would if I could. I can't get down on the ground like that any more. These old bones.

The DCT filter only needs to be changed every other time but I changed mine at the 600 mile mark.

Which is a good idea as the break-in oil will contain a lot or particles. For 15$ I would not skip the DCT filter on the first oil change.

600 mile service is only oil change and check bolts, screws, check chain if adjustment is needed. It shouldn't take more than an hour of labor (I do these in less than 30 minutes on my manual) and you already have the oil and filter (you will need 2 filters for the dct).

On the maintenance schedule in your owner guide: at 600 miles replace oil, engine oil filter, clutch oil filter (DCT).

Then clutch filter every two engine oil change (every 16k miles).

So... change it.

On the maintenance schedule in your owner guide: at 600 miles replace oil, engine oil filter, clutch oil filter (DCT).

Then clutch filter every two engine oil change (every 16k miles).

So... change it.

I thought the 2016 maintenance schedule calls for the engine oil filter every 16,000 miles, too, after the initial 600 mile change. So, both oil filters every 16,000 miles. I don't have a 2016 owners manual. Can someone confirm?

Last edited:
P. 73 says to replace the oil filter and clutch filter at mile 16,000 and at the 600 mile service

Smeg... I've been to Sorry Vista a few times, beautiful part of the country. My brother was stationed there years ago and a dear friend that still live there. Nothing quite like the Arizona desert at sun rise/set! Enjoy the ride! :{)

Oops, misread previous post.

Given the cost of the engine oil filter, I just change it every time I change the oil.

Last edited:
My 2014 manual says the same thing....but it also says to change the oil and engine oil filter (only) at 8,000 miles.

Correct. Honda changed the engine oil filter interval from 8,000 to 16,000 miles beginning with the 2016 model year.

I bought my bike brand new late in the season so by the time I got to 600 miles, it was time for winter storage. Honda had a deal where if you paid for $300 worth of work, storage was free. An oil change is $50 bucks + parts. So I had them do the 600 mile checkup and put some Kuryakyn ISO Grips ($90) on handlebars. The stock grips made the handlebars feel like twigs in my hands when I had on my gloves. They charge $95/hr labor, so after all was said and done. The bill came out to $310. And I paid in installments, since I wasn't riding the bike anyway.

I probably could have done all the work myself but being a total newbie (just got my license and bike) I was afraid I'd screw something up. Plus I was going to have to pay for winter storage anyway. In Chicago it gets way too cold and snowy to ride during the winter months and I'm not trying to kill myself. I've learned a bit about maintenance since then so depending on when my 8,000 mile checkup comes; if its in the spring/summer I'll probably do the work myself, if its in the fall I'll most likely take the winter storage deal. Letting the dealer do it helps keep them in business and keeps someone I trust to turn a screw on my bike nearby.

Techrat

To answer my own post, in Arizona where labor is $78 an hour and I supplied oil, oil filter, oil filter press fitting, DCT filter but not the gasket my bill was $128.

uS$250.
$100 for oils and parts.
$150 for 1.5 hrs labor. Probably included waiting for bike to cool down. Wash was free.

I could have done oil change myself. But going to buy oil, oil filter, risking a police fine (for doing oil change outside a designated workshop) and my time is more precious than $150.
So...let the local shop make their keep....we need them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back