• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My first repair

shaggymonkey

Reaction score
Visit site
After 24,000 miles, I finally had to fix something on the bike. I started feeling a little pulsing wobble when I pulled in my clutch. I left it alone and made note of it slowly growing stronger. Last week, it started feeling strong enough that I didn’t feel comfortable with it, and I turned around to head back to the house. By the time I got home, I could here a gravelly grinding that matched the pulse. I’m glad I waited for the sound, because it immediately led my mind to a bearing. I pulled the clutch cover, and inspected the clutch lifter bearing. It was shot. I’m waiting on parts to get it back together, and hoping I remain lucky enough to not have to pull the clutch plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I finally got all the parts in, and waited a week before I found time to put everything back together. I was torquing the bolts on the right side crankcase cover, and snapped one. After that I took a break to calm down and then pulled it all apart again. Luckily, I had enough of a bur on the leftover bolt to tap it out with a nail set. I ordered a new set of bolts, and I'm back to waiting. I'm feeling very thankful for my little CRF250L about now.

Well I finally got all the parts in, and waited a week before I found time to put everything back together. I was torquing the bolts on the right side crankcase cover, and snapped one. After that I took a break to calm down and then pulled it all apart again. Luckily, I had enough of a bur on the leftover bolt to tap it out with a nail set. I ordered a new set of bolts, and I'm back to waiting. I'm feeling very thankful for my little CRF250L about now.

Bad torque wrench?

Bad torque wrench?

No, I bent my three inch extension a couple weeks ago, and pulled out a 6 inch this afternoon instead of getting the right tool. I think that the unwieldy length allowed me to put too much twisting force on the little bolt. I dug through my tools and found another 3 inch extension. Laziness is no excuse for using the wrong tool, I guess.

The manual also suggests replacing those bolts every time you crack the case. I’ve always reused the bolts twice, but it didn’t work out this time.

No, I bent my three inch extension a couple weeks ago, and pulled out a 6 inch this afternoon instead of getting the right tool. I think that the unwieldy length allowed me to put too much twisting force on the little bolt. I dug through my tools and found another 3 inch extension. Laziness is no excuse for using the wrong tool, I guess.

The manual also suggests replacing those bolts every time you crack the case. I’ve always reused the bolts twice, but it didn’t work out this time.
Are you using a torque wrench? Because the right tool is a torque wrench. ;)

I’m not following you on how a different length extension changes the reading on the torque wrench, as long as the extension is aligned with the bolt axis and the wrench is perpendicular to the extension. Anyway, I hope you get it sorted out soon. I’m glad it didn’t ruin the engine case.

I broke a bolt in the clutch on my old nighthawk. I quit trusting my torque wrench. Really need to get a good one.

I’m not following you on how a different length extension changes the reading on the torque wrench, as long as the extension is aligned with the bolt axis and the wrench is perpendicular to the extension. Anyway, I hope you get it sorted out soon. I’m glad it didn’t ruin the engine case.

You're exactly correct. When I put the longer extension on, I got out of perpendicular. It was no fault of the tool, only the monkey behind the tool. I also looked at my torque setting, and realized it was adjusted a little heavy, so you're right on that account too. It's all back together and running now. I just took it on a test ride, and I have fixed the gravelly sound. On the test ride, however, I found I still have an occasional knock. I'm wondering now if I have a broken clutch plate. I gave it all a visual inspection, but didn't pull the whole basket. So I guess I'm going to take it apart again and find what's causing the knock. I'm guessing it was abused before I got it since it had 1,400 miles of press demo before it came to me.

Last edited:
Check your chain tension before you pull the clutch back out.

You very easily could simply be hearing the chain slap a little as you cycle through the gears / engage / disengage the clutch. Mine makes a very distinct knocking noise when my chain just begins to get a little sloppy and needs adjustment.

Back