• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X New Owner?

Mainsail

Reaction score
Visit site
NC700X New Owner!

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a bike to replace a previous bike, and discovered the NC700x while searching ads.

ME: 5'8" and 31" inseam. My riding experience is low. I had a Yamaha XT350 dual sport that I rode to work for half a year but sold when they transferred me (didn't want to move it). A couple decades back when I was active duty I found a Combat Control XT350 leaning against the dumpster at the base DRMO. The guy there told me they turned it in but didn't have any records or paperwork so all they could do was heave it into the dumpster; they heaved it into the bed of my truck instead and I got it running and learned to ride. So two bikes, both XT350s, both owned for about six months, are the sum total of my experience.

The bike I'm looking at is a 2012 NC700X with about 1250 miles. The seller is being very patient with me as I ask a lot of dumb questions. He's including the side luggage with liners, taller windscreen, factory windscreen, other odds and ends. He's asking $4K.

I had never heard of this bike before and have since watched every video I can find. I like the low CG. I don't think its performance will be an issue for me coming from only the XT350s. My commute is about 20 minutes from my house to a Navy base, no highway.

Thoughts? Good deal? Things to look for? Suggestions?

Last edited:
Welcome fellow inland northwesterner!! Glad you joined us, i'm about 300 miles east of you. I too just bought a 2012 NC700x with 1712 miles on it when purchased. Grab that one, it sure sounds like a great deal and a great price with the accessories he has with it. You will not be disappointed with the NC700, it is an amazing bike. I too owned an XT350 that i had spent a lot of $$$ fixing it up for myself just to have my son talk me out of it when he returned home from an overseas deployment a couple of years ago. He fell in love with that XT350 at first ride. He then put about 10k on it in just a short time riding all over the western half of the country just to loose the oil pump. Anyway, great bikes the XT's are and they have their place. I let my son ride my new-to-me NC700x and he loved it. He too is talking about getting one now that he rode mine and felt the balanced power, smooth corners and killer gas mileage!! So, purchase that bike with confidence and enjoy the many "Smiles per Gallon" you'll receive enjoying it!! :{)

I spent some time up in the PNW and Whidbey Island.
If I had to have a bike with me it would be the NC700X. Lots of storage possibilities, it won't cry if you take it down a dirt road to get to the beach and provides decent protection against the steady mist/rain.
And the lower speeds (under 60 mph once you get off the freeway) mean great MPG!

Suggest an MSF course to fill in training gaps that may not be filled with experience yet. Lot of people like the bike here :)

I believe since he works on a Navy base, he will have to take a MSF course of some kind. Mandatory on military installations.
I took the course on the XT in March (cold!) when I bought the bike. Yes, it is mandatory and the gov must allow the admin leave for DoD employees to attend. My old boss was trying to push me to take annual leave, but the Safety office called him and set him straight. He believed that I should use my leave because I didn't "need" to ride on base, but all DoD employees are required to take the course regardless of where they intend to ride; than means it doesn't come out of your leave bucket. My old boss didn't want that info to get out because then they'd have to pay time and expenses for all the riders in the Bellevue office.

The Pass & ID office was kind enough to register my taking the class as a military retiree instead of under civil service, so I will never need to take a refresher course.

If you could ride the XT350, you will not have an issues riding an NC700X.

The price checks out with Nada Guides in your area, you should go pick it up.

One thing about the NC700X, the engine's redline is at about 6,500 RPM. The rev limiter will come on if you exceed that. When it does it will seem like the bike is coming apart or the world is ending.

Good luck on the acquisition.

Welcome aboard. I am in Olympia and absolutely love the NC. I commute to work all year (except when it's icy -as it is right now). As Brillot mentioned, you should have no problem handling the NC with the experience that you noted.

I am about your size as well. I did install some handlebar risers so I could lay the bars back a little and maintain an upright seating position. The tall windscreen is useful and the luggage makes the bike very practical for commuting. Won't try to judge the price without seeing the bike (tires and such) but $4k doesn't sound bad with the few extras that you mentioned. I saw a near-new bike in centralia for $4200 but it had no bags and a stock windscreen.

Take care and stay in touch. I am hoping to put together some rides this summer and there are about 1/2 dozen NC riders in the area.
>Thom

What a beefy trailer....wow! It looks like it was once part of a military vehicle?

I'm sure you'll enjoy the NC. Ride safe and have fun! :eek:

Last edited:
Getting the bike into my mil trailer was much harder than getting it off. Two car ramps, two pieces of plywood, and four grown men carefully got it up in the trailer. Getting it out was no problem- notice the rock wall behind the trailer? It's sort of a variable height loading dock all along my front yard; just back the trailer up to a corresponding height part of the wall and the bike rolled straight off.

I took it around the block (freezing!) and man I was more sketchy on it than I though I'd be- it's been awhile. It'll come back with some time in the saddle.

The PO had done a lot of upgrades and/or bought it with several options. Battery tender pigtail, aftermarket chain guard, aftermarket adjustable rear shock, the 12v outlet is in the frunk, license plate frame has a locking compartment, Givi side cases both with the internal liners, spare Givi lock in case I ever get the top case, couple cases of oil, filters, tools, and all the factory stuff that came with. Really nice guy too. There's a RAM mount on the handlebars for either a phone or GPS as well. EDIT to add: Centerstand. The PO had the foresight to put the centerstand on which is a sweet bonus.

Last edited:
What a beefy trailer....wow! It looks like it was once part of a military vehicle?

I'm sure you'll enjoy the NC. Ride safe and have fun! :eek:
The trailer is the military's M1101 HMMVW trailer. All aluminum with a chrome-molly frame. I borrowed a friends low trailer but discovered he had no tie-downs in the bed, only a few on the outside up high. I didn't want to use the M1101 due to its high deck, but I wasn't comfortable with the low one.

I picked up the trailer from a govplanet government auction for $750 and sold the HMMVWV wheels (37" with run-flats) for $400. I later saved $300 by picking up a yard of gravel vs delivery, so this thing has almost paid for itself. It pulls nice and the Hemi jeep doesn't even notice it back there (when empty) and I still can pass cars on two-lanes with the trailer.

More on the trailer here: http://www.silvereaglemfg.com/military/cargo_trailer_ltt-l.shtml and here: http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_ltt-hmt_trailer_m1101_m1102.php

Since you already have the pigtail you have to get an electric vest to plug into it. That takes care of the "freezing" problem. Heated grips if you don't have them.

I'm in Virginia and ride all year long. But I pack my electric vest whenever I leave for more than an hour. Even in summer. Hit some rain at a few thousand feet and it's really nice to plug in. Turn on the grips in a summer rain and watch the steam come off your gloves. You do get some cold rain up there don't you?

Since you already have the pigtail you have to get an electric vest to plug into it. That takes care of the "freezing" problem.
Well, I was freezing because I was wearing only a flannel shirt and no helmet, and it was 45° out. :D

You do get some cold rain up there don't you?
We get a lot of that.....

I took it out today for about 20 mins, same temp, this time wearing my motorcycle jacket and my old Air Force flight helmet. I wasn't cold at all under the jacket, my hands were a little cold and my face was cold (the helmet is open face design). I'm looking for a proper (and legal) helmet right now; the PX had a crap selection and the two local cycle shops are closed until Tuesday.

The ride went well, I got to open it up a little on some back roads and bump against the rev limiter a couple times. Still getting my sea legs so not riding very confidently. Some woman turned left in front of me at one point a little closer than I prefer, wanted to hit the horn but couldn't remember where it was. Gotta remember to cancel the turn signal.... Stopped at a red light and when it turned green I was in N so looked a little silly trying to get that sorted out. But.... I had a lot of fun!

The PO bought a Denali Sound Bomb horn and wiring harness; found that in the box so I'll need to get on the installation.

The best part? I looked at the odometer and the bike has just 1250 miles on it. Don't know why I thought 4500, but I was looking at a lot of bikes so may have mixed it up.

I too was a little rusty when I got mine. Practicing low speed handling helped a lot.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Wow..you got a great deal with all those add-on and spare parts included. :)

You mentioned aftermarket "chain guard" and my guess is that your bike has an aftermarket hugger which is mini-fender that mostly keeps water and road gunk off the rear shock. All the huggers I've seen have an integral chain guard.

I only wish someone made a hugger than covered 3/4s of the tire that is above the swingarm so it would really work as a fender should. :-(

ps. my NC is a DCT model so I don't have to worry about bumping into the rev limiter.

You mentioned aftermarket "chain guard" and my guess is that your bike has an aftermarket hugger which is mini-fender that mostly keeps water and road gunk off the rear shock. All the huggers I've seen have an integral chain guard.

I only wish someone made a hugger than covered 3/4s of the tire that is above the swingarm so it would really work as a fender should. :-(

I agree on the hugger comments. What I see is over half of the tire spray and debris is flung off the tire before reaching the hugger lip and ends up deposited on top of the hugger. The hugger may keep some direct spray from hitting the shock, but the shock area is still going to be a mess. A simply flexible flap that hangs down behind the shock would be more effective in protecting the shock.

In off-road situations the hugger is a liability because it plugs up with mud.

I took a few photos of the bike without the side luggage on when I got home from work.

Name that mod!

Attachments

• NC700X01.jpg
    NC700X01.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 175
  • NC700X02.jpg
    NC700X02.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 169
  • NC700X03.jpg
    NC700X03.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 178
  • NC700X04.jpg
    NC700X04.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 172
  • NC700X05.jpg
    NC700X05.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 181
Those Barkbusters and Storm guards are a great addition for our area! If it were mine, the next farkle would be a louder horn.
Enjoy your new friend.
>T

Last edited:
Back