• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Just a minor dilemma...

Devilsfan

Reaction score
Visit site
First, apologies for the long essay!

I post this to share my history regarding my recent 2013 NC700 purchase. Comments are welcome regardless that I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this.

Anyway, I bought my CTX700 back in October of 2015. I rode one at A.I.M. (when it was in Orlando) in a DCT model. 3 days later I bought a new one in manual with fairing. I LOVE my CTX!!! (Wasn't quite sold on the DCT as I didn't know enough about it.)

I digress...
Long story short, I've always ridden Suzuki cruisers. In March of 2014 I bought a used 2006 Honda VTX1300. I wanted to upgrade as all of my Suzuki's were always the 800cc's. Needless to say, the VTX became the perfect bike! I was so impressed at how well-crafted Honda made this that I never would have thought to get anything other than another one someday. I rode it up to GA, TN, SC and NC. Had a wonderful summer trip on it and provided me with an awesome experience besides the actual motorcycle riding.
In September of 2015, while in a group ride, a few of us went down. My "baby" was totaled and I was devastated. I wanted to get right back in the saddle so within a few days I found a used 2003 VTX1800. I put new tires and wheel bearings in it and it rode like a Cadillac on 2 wheels! Problem was, it was so darn heavy that I struggled to even get it turned around in the driveway! That and the fact that, I'll admit, I was still feeling the (mental) effects of rolling across the pavement from the 1300 wreck. So, while at the dealer getting my tires replaced, I saw the CTX, straddled it, and was amazingly surprised! It felt like Honda designed that bike specifically for me! But I wasn't too sure about the power, or lack thereof, coming from a 1300 then an 1800. So I rode the 1800 to A.I.M. and the rest is history with my CTX.

A year later I'm back at the last Orlando A.I.M. and I took a V-strom 1000 for a test ride. Wow! That thing handled amazingly...different. I think that planted the seed for the ADV bikes. This is when I started to notice the NC700's. A few weeks later, while at a CTX meet-up, one of the riders had an NC. He is an excellent rider and trying to keep up with him was a chore! IMO, that NC700 (red) was a sweet-looking ride! I really liked the design and colors!
So...that's been sticking in my craw for a while. Finally, at the end of last year, I told myself - If I ever came across an NC700 in DCT for a decent price, I'd bite. I found one over the Christmas break and have it now.

I did pick up a 2006 V-strom in October of last year and loved it! It did have a few issues (most that I found AFTER a few weeks of ownership) so I fixed it up. Then, the "Check Engine" light started coming on. I learned that the V-stroms are notorious for having to clean their fuel pumps. Although not too difficult, I just didn't want this to be an issue, especially if I was out of state somewhere in the mountains! I traded it for the NC.

And here I am now. So far I've put about 1500 miles on the NC since December. It's a fun bike to ride and I KNOW the quality of the bike is solid, as my CTX is the exact same. And I like the fact that buying parts is exactly the same (minus the DCT/manual variations) as the CTX. Point is, I KNOW this bike like I KNOW my CTX!
But my dilemma is, at this point I am just not liking the DCT. It's working great and it's been flawless operationally...but I'm just not getting used to the "always being in gear" notion.

Yesterday, I went to a couple of dealerships. The first, I was thinking of trading the NC for a 2008 Vstrom with 18K. (My NC has almost 37K). They couldn't work a deal that I liked (I kind of knew it wouldn't happen, but wishful thinking!). Then I went to a Honda dealer. They offered me a brand new, 2014 in red NC700 manual for $5200 OTD. They will give me $3500 for my NC. I told them I'd think about it...which I have been doing.

At this point, I'm just not sure. I really like the NC but I also like the V-strom a tad bit more. I don't want to look at another V-strom if I don't know that it's just because of the DCT that I'm not warming up to the NC over the V-strom. At the same time, I don't want to deal with the V-strom's issues (like valve adjustments that are a total PITA on a V-strom compared to an NC) although I know any motorcycle at any given time can crap out.

So, my options at this point are:

1) Keep the NC I have and ride it until the engine blows! (Which may be never. It IS a Honda, after all!)
2) Take the trade in towards that 2014 manual NC.
3) Inquire about a brand new 2016 V-strom (I hate that beak!)
4) Just list the NC I have now on CL and enjoy my CTX.

What would you do?

If you like the manual transmission and you like the cruiser riding position of your CTX, and you can part with the frunk, then sell the DCT NC and be happy with the CTX. The NC may look like an Adv bike, but it really isn’t one unless you modify it heavily.

If I were you, but I’m not, I’d keep the NC, modify it for semi adv use, sell the CTX, and buy a Yamaha Super Tenere.

Last edited:
The Super Tenere does seem like a great choice.
Shaft drive, cruise control, comfortable.
I wonder if they are about to update it.

But my dilemma is, at this point I am just not liking the DCT. It's working great and it's been flawless operationally...but I'm just not getting used to the "always being in gear" notion.

Say more about why you don't like the DCT. What's the problem with "always being in gear"? You can always shift to N when stopped. Why else would you want to be out of gear?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The DCT is not that difficult to get used to, it will take a little time to do so. My other two bikes are standard trans and I do not have any issues switching between any of them.

What mode are you riding the bike in?

I personally only use D-Mode when moving the bike short distances and when I am out on the highway to keep it in 6th gear.

S-Mode is my got mode for over 90% of my riding and I supplement it with override shifting when needed, mostly during deceleration.

I use M/T-Mode mostly during lane splitting for greater control over what gear I am in. Also if I have to slam on the brakes, it automatically shifts into 1st with me having to do it. Then all I have to do is twist the throttle to resume on my way.

The ABS is the DCT bike's saving grace under sudden surprise moment situations. The US Manual Transmission models do not have ABS, just something to think about and to take into consideration.

I would personally recommend that you keep what you got and explore other techniques when riding the DCT.

Say more about why you don't like the DCT. What's the problem with "always being in gear"? You can always shift to N when stopped. Why else would you want to be out of gear?

It's the feathering of the clutch thing. On my manual I just feel more in-control. With the DCT I'm always waiting for that downshift-grab...and I hate that. I've taken it through some twisties and that downshift grab get's me off my game, so to speak. I know I can switch to manual but, again, there's no clutch-feathering.

What mode are you riding the bike in?

I generally ride in "S" mode when going around town. Anytime I'm on the highways, I start in "S" mode then switch to "D" mode. I rarely use the manual modes.

The ABS is the DCT bike's saving grace under sudden surprise moment situations. The US Manual Transmission models do not have ABS, just something to think about and to take into consideration.

I would personally recommend that you keep what you got and explore other techniques when riding the DCT.

I don't have the ABS on the CTX and let me tell you, the way Honda set those brakes I have never had the need to wish I had ABS. The CTX brakes are just that in-tune, as far as I'm concerned. Plus, given the light weight of the CTX I can stop that thing on a dime!

I would assume the non-ABS brakes on an NC would be similar?

It's the feathering of the clutch thing. On my manual I just feel more in-control.

Well, DCT is like New Coke when it came out. There were some that liked it and even more that did not.

giphy.gif

If feathering the clutch is your definition of more control, then DCT is not for you. I would then say you should go get the manual version and get it a try. If that doesn't fit your fancy, then your back to a V-Strom.

I do agree the downshift can be unsettling but it's not a big deal to me. That's why I mostly use S1 on my 2016. But for you it sounds like it doesn't fit the way you ride.

You liked the VTX, try the Africa Twin.

YOU have to enjoy the ride. YOU have to be comfortable with the ride. YOU have to make the final decision. Ride as many as you can, stick with or pick your favorite.

"With the DCT I'm always waiting for that downshift-grab...and I hate that. I've taken it through some twisties and that downshift grab get's me off my game, so to speak. I know I can switch to manual but, again, there's no clutch-feathering."

1. Just twist the throttle! or hit the thumb button.
There is no waiting for downshifts.

Like DCTFAN I have no problem with either the DCT or the manual. I do like both. I also like feathering the clutch, but over time I have learned to use the DCT's throttle control much like feathering the clutch. I get about 40 to 50 thousand miles on any manual shift clutch plates on any motorcycle , before I have to change the clutch plates. I have not put 50,000 miles on a DCT motorcycle, YET.... However for some reason, I do fell that the design of the DCT clutch will make the plates last longer than the manual shift clutch plates....

Was going to the dealer to take a shot at a 2016 V-strom in trade towards my NC700. I had that deal going (as mentioned previously) with the Honda dealership for a NOS 2014 NC manual. But, like when I bought my CTX, I wanted to give the "Other guys" a chance.
I didn't think I'd wind up with one of these:

2018 Kawasaki Versys 650!!!

40253936451_3fee538d15_c.jpg

40253939711_134de1e750_c.jpg

The same guy who sold me my CTX, who is now a sales manager, came out, walked me through some numbers and he beat Honda (as far as what I was looking for)!!!

After my trade in I had to pay $4900. I know, someone could have gotten a better deal but I am happy and that's all that matters to me! The thing is, I didn't even think I could get the V-strom for the $$$ I was willing to throw down. The Versys was out of the question as it was MORE than the V-strom. Turns out, Kyle worked better numbers for the Versys and, arguably, I rode home on a better motorcycle!

The Versys is a great bike, and recent models are good looking too. I still prefer my 750 XD for daily commute (for DCT and practicality) but for fun the Versys sure beats the NC (I don't care as I am lucky to have a fun bike along the NC).

That’s a sharp looking bike and one with a solid reputation. Hope you have a LOT of (s)miles with it!

It isn’t what you ride - just that you RIDE :)

The Super Tenere does seem like a great choice.
Shaft drive, cruise control, comfortable.
I wonder if they are about to update it.

The S10 is awesome.
The suspension alone is so much better than the NC.
I loved my NC, but you have to love it for what it is, a great commuter bike that is wearing the partial costume of a adv/touring bike.
The NC is a great bike, I'm in no way bagging on it, but the S10 (especially a used one for $7Kish price) is such a different level, even the stock seating position of teh S10 is leaps above the NC. Even with lowered pegs, a SC seat, bar risers and grip puppies, I could only do 2 hours on the NC without a rest, I can do 5+ on the S10 no issues.
1.jpg

The S10 is awesome.
The suspension alone is so much better than the NC.
I loved my NC, but you have to love it for what it is, a great commuter bike that is wearing the partial costume of a adv/touring bike.
The NC is a great bike, I'm in no way bagging on it, but the S10 (especially a used one for $7Kish price) is such a different level, even the stock seating position of teh S10 is leaps above the NC. Even with lowered pegs, a SC seat, bar risers and grip puppies, I could only do 2 hours on the NC without a rest, I can do 5+ on the S10 no issues.
View attachment 35708
I am certain the Yamaha ST is a lot more bike than the NC but if seat time is a marker of comfort or touring ability then I find riding tank-to-tank-to-tank no problem on the NC. On my first NC I did a 18 hour 1000 mile ride then a 1000 in 17 hours followed by 550 miles the next day to score a Bun Burner 1500 on the stock seat and bars .On the DCT I attempted a Bun Burner Gold, 1500 miles in 24 hours, making about 800 miles in 11 hours before a blocked interstate shut down my effort. Even then I turned off the slab and moseyed home doing 1080 miles to score another NC700X Saddlesore 1000, 1000 miles in 24 or less. This bike has suspension mods, a Sargent, and risers.

Back