• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Windscreen

G

Greg Vassallo

Hi folks. I bought a NC750X yesterday and I want to buy a taller windshield. I read older threads and I was looking for more current info. I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam. I am considering a Madstad or Givi. I would really like to get opinions. Cheers Greg

If you get one from either Revzilla or Twisted Throttle, and you dont like it, they will exchange/refund easily. I have tried a number of things from both and returned them without issue.

Just dont take a rock and crack it.

While I never bought the Givi windscreen or tried one, feedback from another user suggests that the height of the Givi puts the wind blast right at your neck, or face. My experience is that you are best to have clean air, i.e. no windscreen, or have the wind pass above your helmet, i.e. Madstad. The owner I spoke to cut his Givi down a couple inches, in attempt to lower the Windblast. That experiment apparently was futile, since he ended up with a Madstad.

A spoiler could also help as well. I just got a Givi (its in the mail) from another user here. I will see how it goes. It has a spoiler with it. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

20" Madstad and Bob's your uncle.

The design of the Madstad does allow air to come up through a slot formed between the shield and the motorcycle however the flow pretty much stays laminar and attached to the back side of the screen which makes the cockpit remarkably quiet and without the usual wind & turbulence that whips around the sides of traditional designs. When the air flowing up the back of the screen reattaches to the flow rising up off the front it doesn't become turbulent and noisy and the clean flow directs bugs up and over the helmet. That is just my experience with the Madstad compared to other traditional screens. I like looking over, not through a screen, and the Madstad is so effective it keeps wind off my face though the top of it is well below line of sight. Not a looker though, definitely function over form.

Last edited:
I just bought a NC700X and put the 24" Parabellum shield on. What I like about the Parabellem shield is that it fits tightly to the headlight unlike the Madstad. I don't want air coming in from the bottom of the shield. I read that some customers were concerned about headlight glare, but my shield came with the Black rubber fitting that prevents any glare. Very nice.

I have a 18" Madstad, and wish I got the 20" one. It worked quite well, but I built up the seat another inch and now the shield doesn't quite get the air cleanly over my helmet. I'm 5'11"

I do get a lot of glair but I hear that that it is a non-issue on the newer ones.

I used the Honda Touring screen on my 2012. It is more solidly mounted than most and because of that it doesn't deflect at speed.

I tried a Vstream on Palmer bracket and MRA Vario, did not like either. I'm 5'8 with 33in inseam. I'm using a 18 Madstad. Airflow is smooth with no buffeting. My helmet is a Shoie RF-1200 with vents at the top. There is a lot of wind noise in my helmet. I duct taped the vents and wear foam ear plugs. Has anyone tried the Gustuffson Plastics shield Honda NC 700 X 2012 - 2016 18" Tall 23 Wide 4 Holes – Gustafsson Plastics ?

Air needs to flow over one's helmet to be quiet but is more turbulent than no shield air. A pocket of still air at the helmet is the objective. Other airflow is irrelevant.
For safety reasons the top of the shield needs to be as high as possible but allow a forward view over it of approximately 1 - 1 1/2 vehicle lengths. Looking through the shield is unsafe.
I 'edged' my tall clear Parbellum with black marker pen to eliminate shield edge light glare. It now has an OEM finished look. All of the above: MHO and 55+ years in the saddle.

Do any of these windscreen manufacturers ask for your body's dimensions? I bet not.
Since some riders have longer inseams than others, some have shorter or longer arms, etc... get an adjustable windscreen.

Or, if you have a first gen NC700 and think you could use a few inches more, try the Laminar Lip or one of the eBay "Adjustable Clip On Windshield Extension Spoilers"

http://www.laminarlip.com/nc700.php

Do any of these windscreen manufacturers ask for your body's dimensions? I bet not.
Since some riders have longer inseams than others, some have shorter or longer arms, etc... get an adjustable windscreen.

Or, if you have a first gen NC700 and think you could use a few inches more, try the Laminar Lip or one of the eBay "Adjustable Clip On Windshield Extension Spoilers"

http://www.laminarlip.com/nc700.php

Madstad does give directions to choose based on rider height and of course the Madstad system is adjustable for height and rake, even adjustable while riding.

I loved the Madstad because of it's sizing guide, adjustability, and with a 22" I can ride with a gel-pad on my seat and not have ANY buffering at all.
I initially purchased a 20" but had buffering so I exchanged it for the 22".

BTW: I am 6-0" with a 32 inseam.

BTW: I have a 22" for sale in the FS section, I will make you a deal on it!!!

Last edited:
DIY? I make my own out of a single piece of LEXAN.

They are not stylish, but they do EXACTLY what I want them to do.

• tall: wind stream hits the top of the helmet, just
  • wide: a little wider than usual to keep the air off my shoulders. Actually a little too wide at the moment, narrower next version.
  • hinged: so that the handlebars have full range of motion.
  • panels: removable panels to keep all the air off me when it's really cold.
  • serviceable: put together primarily with zip ties (on purpose) so that I can repair it on the road.
  • strong: there are videos of lexan and Plexiglas taking a shotgun blast on youtube. Lexan handles that well compared to Plexi.

DO NOT attempt your own windshield without "Dale's NUT PLATES". He is a member and makes the plates that bolt the windscreen to your NC securely. I used aluminium flat bar to bridge the lexan with the nut plates. All of it put together with simple household tools. Bent it down the center with a heat gun.

(sprayed it with windex so that you could see it better. It's not frosted.)
(the arc across the top could be better. I'm still learning how to do that.)
windscreen01.jpg

This sort of home-made approach is NOT for everyone.

Last edited:
This sort of home-made approach is NOT for everyone.

Hey Strat, a small belt sander helps a lot to rough in the curves.
Then, gradually reducing sand paper to finish and get whatever surface texture you want on the periphery.
I have done this with windscreens and you can't tell the difference between my cuts and the OEM surfaces.

If I had a dollar for every word written on this forum about windscreens, I’d have a Goldwing.

Madstad has lightened the mounting hardware from prior models but still adds quite a bit of weight to the install.
The adjustable hardware sets the shield farther forward than a fixed mount. All this makes it a 'busy' looking setup and less effective than a closer to rider package.

The Parabellum comes in 24" vs Madstad 22" so can be trimmed down to get the perfect height. $120 cheaper $160 vs $280.
I have no stake in the latter only experience w/both. I like the clean look of a tall clear shield. I have this same setup on my Motus.

I tried a Vstream on Palmer bracket and MRA Vario, did not like either. I'm 5'8 with 33in inseam. I'm using a 18 Madstad. Airflow is smooth with no buffeting. My helmet is a Shoie RF-1200 with vents at the top. There is a lot of wind noise in my helmet. I duct taped the vents and wear foam ear plugs. Has anyone tried the Gustuffson Plastics shield Honda NC 700 X 2012 - 2016 18" Tall 23 Wide 4 Holes – Gustafsson Plastics ?
I had one on a bmw and I was pleased with it, just wished I'd bought a taller one.

Back