• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Modify trunk and seat latches so they do not lock

rjarrell

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone modified the seat and trunk latches so they do not lock. The bike is so rare that I don't think anyone would know to look in those areas and the threat of malfunction would be eliminated. Nothing worse than being on a ride and not being able to open the seat for fuel, especially on a Sunday or out in the middle of nowhere..

There are several posts of people who have had "stub keys" made (a section of key just long enough to unlock the frunk/seat) and epoxy'd them into a knob of some form to permanently sit in the key hole. I think the knob of choice is a radio knob off a Goldwing. The benefit is there is no permanent modification so if you decide to "de-mod" (if you were planning on leaving your bike unsupervised for any length of time, eg overnight in a hotel parking lot or if you're selling) you just take the stub key out. The key is too short to turn the ignition (the frunk lock only uses the first few tumblers) so you don't have to worry about it being used to start the bike. For further security, you can figure out exactly how many tumblers are in the frunk lock and have only those cut into the key, then even a full length key won't start the bike.

To address the threat of malfunction, a few people have installed hidden pull wires that can release the latches in the event the main cable becomes unattached or whatever.

As far as disabling latches completely, the passenger seat would be no big deal. However, I would never ride with the frunk unlatched but I’ve heard some people do so intentionally. I have Dale’s cargo rack with the fuel hole cutout in place of the passenger seat, so I don’t need to worry about the seat latch malfunctioning.

I would highly recommend one of Dale's cargo rack if you never have a passenger. I love not having to flip up the seat to fill the tank. I am one of those rider who never latches the frunk while riding. I haven't for five years. Does it flip open on occasion, yes. It doesn't happen often. The wind has to be coming a prefect angle and normally only happens when I'm doing greater than 70MPH. I keep stuff like the registration and insurance card in a ziplock bag so it doesn't fly out when the frunk lid pops open and everything else weighs enough that it isn't an issue. If the occasional (hardly ever) opening of the lid bothers you, try one of the other suggestions by the group.

I would highly recommend one of Dale's cargo rack if you never have a passenger. I love not having to flip up the seat to fill the tank. I am one of those rider who never latches the frunk while riding. I haven't for five years. Does it flip open on occasion, yes. It doesn't happen often. The wind has to be coming a prefect angle and normally only happens when I'm doing greater than 70MPH. I keep stuff like the registration and insurance card in a ziplock bag so it doesn't fly out when the frunk lid pops open and everything else weighs enough that it isn't an issue. If the occasional (hardly ever) opening of the lid bothers you, try one of the other suggestions by the group.

I, too, am a huge fan of a cargo rack instead of the passenger seat. As far as the frunk, if I don't latch it - it will come up at exactly 80mph, like clockwork. So, I latch 'er.

This has been mentioned prior............but.............A little grease on the latch catch mechanism................will make for smooth operation and lower the torque needed to operate.

This has been mentioned prior............but.............A little grease on the latch catch mechanism................will make for smooth operation and lower the torque needed to operate.

That ^, and I always push down on the frunk lid or seat/rack when operating the key, to reduce the load on the latch mechanism.

I keep two keys on a lanyard and put one in the ignition and one in the trunk lock.
That way I can unlock the trunk without turning off the bike, but if I get off the bike I am sure to take both keys.

Back