• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First ride -- first imopressions.

TarsTarkas

Reaction score
Visit site
Went for a 50-mile ride on the back roads so I never rode real fast -- averaged about 50 MPH. I got her up to 80 MPH once or twice. It was real windy/blustery but the bike felt solid, even with gusty head- and side-winds. With my full helmet and the wind I rarely heard the engine and had to depend on the tach to know what was going on. The upright ergos and the longer-travel suspension make for a good ride on the not-so-good streets around here. Anyhow, it's not the most exciting bike I ever rode -- but that's good. Plenty of power, considering the smallish (by today's standards) 700cc twin engine. I would have preferred a temp gauge instead of only a light so I could see if a problem was developing before the problem arrives.

It's a Honda. Heating problems don't arrive :rolleyes:

Glad you enjoyed the maiden ride. I too find the NC very stable on the highway and yet very nimble when the road tightens up.

Tars...sounds good so far. Don't be afraid to post up some of the cons. I'm still getting used to mine, along with the DCT.

So far I am really enjoying the way it rides. Handling, more like a sports bike to me. And the foot pegs are not in the greatest position, IMO. Other than that I'm riding on a stock seat still and not feeling any major back or butt pain.

As for the DCT - still not totally sold. It's fun but I'm not getting used to the shifting times.

Tars, I once had a really, really fast Ducati. It was quite an exciting bike. Lucky for me I lived long enough to sell it. Exciting is highly overrated. Come to think of it, I also once had a 1959 Triumph Tiger Cub. Character is overrated too.

Dependable, slow and steady gets you home. On forums, that's underrated.

Honda quality at its best. Sure they could have done something different with the seat or what-have-you , but , there's options here and abroad. Good choice of motorcycle. When I look at the mpg I'm getting AND having fun , now that's exciting.

I bought a red 2013 strictly for the DCT. It is butt ugly IMO with the black wheels and cheap looking can.
I added many upgrades to it and will transfer most if not all to a red 2017 DCT that IMHO is good looking with the silver wheels and much pricier looking (and throatier) can.
The new gen GWDCT with paralever style front end may give the K16 some competition.

I bought a 2017 NC700x last November. Most of my riding has been commuting, but I have managed some back road corner carving as well. So far I am very pleased. My previous bike (and only other bike) was a year 2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200. The NC700x engine is smoother, the handling is even quicker and I really like the red/silver color scheme. The power is not overwhelming, but is more than enough for street use. On my Bandit, in over 17 years of riding, I never twisted the throttle all the way to the stop, so I never used all the power anyway. The suspension is a bit harsh over sharp edged bumps, but the Bandit was not known for its smooth ride either. The stock seat is not the best, but I had an old airhawk seat cushion that makes the seat more comfortable, gives me some more leg room, and lifts me up to the level of the pillion seat so I can shift around more wile riding. I added SW Motech engine guards and a Ventura topcase, and think I have a bike that is the ultimate commuter but can handle canyon rides and touring as well. It is really hard to argue with 70 mpg (versus 40 on the Bandit) and 200 miles to reserve (versus 160 on the Bandit). If the Honda can match my Suzuki's 17 years and 120,00+ trouble free miles, I will be extremely happy.

First Ride - new to me 2015 NC700X-DCT

I picked my bike up yesterday in Columbus, Ohio and rode 75 miles home to southern Ohio. My only complaints, for the first ride, were the foot peg positions and the seat. My last bike was a BMW R1200C and the foot pegs were further forward than the NC and I had a Russell Day-Long saddle, so, I need to do some changes. I really like the DCT first time experience. I rode back with two Harley Street Glides and had no trouble keeping up with them on the freeway; they were impressed. I'm liking the DCT very well! So far, so good . . . Is there anything I can do about the foot peg locations?
By the way, nice forum here.

First Ride - new to me 2015 NC700X-DCT

I picked my bike up yesterday in Columbus, Ohio and rode 75 miles home to southern Ohio. My only complaints, for the first ride, were the foot peg positions and the seat. My last bike was a BMW R1200C and the foot pegs were further forward than the NC and I had a Russell Day-Long saddle, so, I need to do some changes. I really like the DCT first time experience. I rode back with two Harley Street Glides and had no trouble keeping up with them on the freeway; they were impressed. I'm liking the DCT very well! So far, so good . . . Is there anything I can do about the foot peg locations?
By the way, nice forum here.

I agree that the pegs on the NC could be forward an inch or two. The only semi solution I know of it adjustable pegs that let you shit the position no more than an inch. Most people use them to lower the pegs.

The seat is a common “sore spot”. The Russell DL is available if you have fairly long legs. If you’re really short they won’t build one for you. If you’re average, the Russell raises the seat too much for you to reach the ground comfortably. They fit longer inseams well.

Your initial ride sounds a lot like mine. I found myself going way too fast at one point, but I wanted to wring it out. Coming from an XT350 I thought the performance issue would not be noticeable to me at all ,but I did notice it isn't a screamer. I don't mind one bit as I have a 15 to 20 min commute to work and no highway to get there.

I found the foot pegs are not quite where I might like them to be, but not in a dealbreaker sort of way. I was concerned that my right foot was resting on the brake pedal as I rode, so I felt like I had to make an effort to hold it up off. I found them most annoying when I was stopped- they seem to be in the way of me getting both feet on the deck. In front of the peg, behind, outside of...? Time will correct I'm sure.

The feel between (the memory of) my 350 enduro and the NC700 was more noticeable than I thought it would be. The NC felt a lot more nose heavy? The weight distro more forward maybe; hard to explain. I found I wanted to sit against the frunk vs back a bit. In rider's class on my XT350 I was the only one who could turn the bike inside the box, and to do that I had to hump the tank as forward as I could get. This bike is different. Just some random thoughts from a rider with very little experience.....

The NC is a relatively long bike for its size, probably due to the laid down cyclinder configuration. I think that is why the pegs and foot controls are a bit rearward. Compared to a dirt bike, the handle bars are low and forward, which might make you sit forward on the seat, making the peg position even more rearward. Handle bar risers are a very common mod. You can raise the bars 2 inches before you run out of cabling and brake hose, then more it’s more involved after that. The farther back you are on the seat, the more forward are the pegs, relatively speaking.

I was concerned that my right foot was resting on the brake pedal as I rode, so I felt like I had to make an effort to hold it up off.

The NC felt a lot more nose heavy? The weight distro more forward maybe; hard to explain.

I found I wanted to sit against the frunk vs back a bit. In rider's class on my XT350 I was the only one who could turn the bike inside the box, and to do that I had to hump the tank as forward as I could get.

The rear brake pedal is adjustable up or down if you feel that is required to make you comfortable. Don't forget to check the rear brake light switch to make sure it still comes on correctly or doesn't stay on after adjusting.

Regarding the nose being heavy could it be that you find the front suspension going down as the weight transfer shifts to the front? Perhaps this is difference you are feeling relative to the other bike you have ridden.

In riding glass I was taught that gripping the tank with your knees is good technique and why they have the indentations on the tank area. By being "close" frunk gives me the most area to grip with my knees.

Happy your riding...snow over the weekend :(

I had a Russell DL saddle built for my BMW R1200C and it was the best $650.00 I ever spent on any of my motorcycles! I could run the tank dry before ever having to get off the bike. But, it did raise the seat height and challenged my 30" inseam to put both feet on the ground. I'll get used to this seat, just need to put several hundred miles more in the saddle. Is it possible to lower this bike a little like I did with my KLR650?

I think you'll get used to the peg location. I like them where they are at but when I got off a cruiser some years ago I had to get used to having my feet under me and that was different and new. I soon forgot about it.

It's a good practice to ride with the balls of our feet on the foot pegs and that takes care of inadvertently dragging the rear brake. You can get about 5/8" lower by sliding the forks up in the triple tree. Some folks use lowering links to lower the rear end but I did not find it necessary.

Congratulations on your new ride.

PS It's not hard to keep up with just about any Harley :)

Back