• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Back Surgery

Arkridia

Reaction score
Visit site
I have asked this question on several forums and no one has suggested this bike and would like to know why the NC 700 does not get recommended for people that have back issues? I have sat on one but the dealership was on a very busy street and it was rush hour and I was leery to try a bike I have never rode during that time. I would like to know how it compares to the vstorm and 650 versey? I was thinking of trying the DCT version because I have arthritis in my hand and think it may be better, not afraid to stick with manual if it is better. I do not plan on buying another bike unless I get to crippled then I will switch to a trike so I need something that will last years I am only 46.
I will not be taking this off road, just dirt roads sometimes freshly graded, I live in a rural area and lots of back roads through the amish country. I may do some highway but 90% of my driving will be 2 lane roads where I can ride my way. I seldom group ride most of time it is me and maybe one other person and then we have an agreement go as fast as you want but wait before you turn down another road so I do not get lost because I follow.
How hard is it to get used to riding on a bike that is as tall as adventure bikes are? I ride single and will not be riding 2 up, so I do not think that I will need more horse power, as long as it can do 70 if I do decide to travel on the interstate once in awhile and it has to be able to pass if need to but like I said I stick to speed limits. I believe it should handle curves like the versey and vstorm. How is it as far as semi passing you does it through you like it does on other small bikes. I am coming from a 600 honda shadow?
Can you persuade me to buy this bike over the other two that I have listed? Would a honda cb500x be better? I am 5'7 if that helps/

In my experience, bikes with upright riding postures, like the NC700X and the CB500X, are much better on the back. Even though I don't have a bad back, just looking at the 600 Shadow makes my back hurt because of the forward foot peg position on that bike.

I'm 5'8" with 32" inseam and I can flat foot the NC with boots on. The CB500X is even easier to reach the ground. Inseam is a more important number that overall height.

You can always add handlebar risers to get the bars farther back and put you in a more upright position and help your back. You can also lower the bike's suspension a little if short legs are an issue.

I own and ride NC700s because I like the engine, but I do think the CB500X is more comfortable. The reach to the bars is closer on the 500, and the stock seat is more comfortable.

No offense, but my memory of riding experiences in rural New York was that the roads are quite rough. Getting your foot position more underneath you, as opposed to a cruiser position, and also maybe improving the suspension, should make it easier on the back.

Last edited:
I agrer...upright seating is the best. The foot position seemed a little cramped when I first got mine, but I got used to it.

Arkridia...I just traded in my V-strom for the NC with DCT. Keep in mind I've had my CTX700 for over 2 years now so I know these bikes. I LOVE the V-strom but it will sit taller for you. I am 5'10" and I could just barely flatfoot the V-strom. (You can always lower it.) I won't get into the performance differences other than to say I think the V-strom has the edge for going off-road.
But as for your comfort question...that's a tough one to answer. I think it depends on the individual. Take the CTX, for example. I believe Honda made that bike specifically for me!!! At the same time, the very first mod I suggest for any shape/size/height/weight is to get a new seat because that CTX stock seat is rough!
I've only had my NC for a week but I've put it through the motions. It's a comfortable bike with the stock seat but you do start to feel that stiffness after an hour or so of sitting on that stock seat that I have. Also, the footpegs, IMO, are way behind you whereas the V-strom's are more right underneath you. Unless you modify with highway pegs somehow you're stuck with your feet tucked in and behind.
In the end, you can modify just about any bike. Things to think about in your case are the seat, bar position and windscreen.
Good luck with your decision and keep us posted!

Unfortunately the NC700X doesn't get much publicity. Mainly because its just a street bike, and most people hate it because they want it to be something else. Its the best commuter bike I've ever ridden. Good gas mileage. Upright position, comfortable for both long and short rides although the stock seat sucks. Best of all is the DCT. No trying to find neutral at a stop light. Just twist and go. The fact that it has a frunk (Front Trunk) and has to be fueled up under the seat, makes it unique in the bike world. Plus the price tag is lower most other bikes of the same class.

Although touted as an Adventure bike, that is a misnomer. It CAN go off-road but you'd have to farkle it to death after changing out the tires. The bike rides tall, which I think is why its classified as an Adventure bike. I'm 6'0" even with a long inseam, so I can't ride most bikes comfortably. Meaning tiny a "crotch-rocket" will always be totally out of the question. Not the speediest cat in the jungle, it can hold its own with faster bikes. The stock windscreen is too small so I recommend changing that also. The stock muffler and horn are a bit quiet but if you're not trying to wake the neighbors, they do just fine. H-D marketing has people convinced that a louder bike is better. Realistically if you live around people and don't want issues, quieter is better. Plus unlike an H-D this bike doesn't require a ton of maintenance. One mechanic told me that he had H-Ds in his shop all the time, where he rarely sees a Honda. So you can save money on maintenance.

Personally, I ride to/from work daily. The NC700X starts fast, is quiet and nimble enough to get me through rush hour traffic where a car would leave me stuck in the stop-and-go rat race. I just turned 50 and have back problems too. So, I can honestly say that this bike is better for a bad back than most others. No bike is good for the back but if want a bike that's not going to cause you pain in your back and wallet every time your get on it, get this one.

Techrat

(The opinions expressed in this post are solely the responsibility of the poster and not necessarily the opinions of this forum or its owners. BUT it is the truth.)

If one has a bad back then the basic suspension of an NC can hurt on bumpier roads. That was my only issue with mine when I had one. Otherwise the ergonomics are good and on decent roads I was able to stay in the saddle for up to 800kms in one day.

For me, the upright (standard) riding position is best. I feel I have more control of the bike, more able to use my legs as shock absorbers. I really don't like cruiser ergos (forward controls). I'll go sport-bike ergos before cruiser ergos -- any day. I don't know but I would think that cruiser ergos would be harder on someone with a bad back than the upright (standard) position.

Arkridia...I just traded in my V-strom for the NC with DCT. Keep in mind I've had my CTX700 for over 2 years now so I know these bikes. I LOVE the V-strom but it will sit taller for you. I am 5'10" and I could just barely flatfoot the V-strom. (You can always lower it.) I won't get into the performance differences other than to say I think the V-strom has the edge for going off-road.
But as for your comfort question...that's a tough one to answer. I think it depends on the individual. Take the CTX, for example. I believe Honda made that bike specifically for me!!! At the same time, the very first mod I suggest for any shape/size/height/weight is to get a new seat because that CTX stock seat is rough!
I've only had my NC for a week but I've put it through the motions. It's a comfortable bike with the stock seat but you do start to feel that stiffness after an hour or so of sitting on that stock seat that I have. Also, the footpegs, IMO, are way behind you whereas the V-strom's are more right underneath you. Unless you modify with highway pegs somehow you're stuck with your feet tucked in and behind.
In the end, you can modify just about any bike. Things to think about in your case are the seat, bar position and windscreen.
Good luck with your decision and keep us posted!
You can do the highway pegs easily if you use these engine guards from Kijima. Found on WeBike.com.
Only downside to them is that when you adjust the valves every 16,000 miles you have to remove the right U-bolt mount when you adjust the valves. It is no big deal if you put anti-seize on the bolt. They are stainless and will gall when you tighten the nuts and they will not come off and you will twist off the nut and bolt if you don't use anti-seize. I found some steel U-bolts at fastenal. All good now. Also you can make covers that snap on these for wind protection too.
Sent some pics high lighting close ups and some from a distance so you can see how they look from a distance. Easy to install and they keep the bike off of you in case of a tip over.
38d483bd7b283171cdafc8077d34ec43.jpg
15b90d6fe8b0bf5b9a87ed23ff879be9.jpg
52bd4b925d13622ed00c7445403aef55.jpg
119443f81e984090848d16706458642b.jpg
beb508e9a5072daef88ff46ce1d09009.jpg
c8fcbda8e061e8cf77ba6165e783a8e9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You can do the highway pegs easily if you use these engine guards from Kijima. Found on WeBike.com.
Only downside to them is that when you adjust the valves every 16,000 miles you have to remove the right U-bolt mount when you adjust the valves. It is no big deal if you put anti-seize on the bolt. They are stainless and will gall when you tighten the nuts and they will not come off and you will twist off the nut and bolt if you don't use anti-seize. I found some steel U-bolts at fastenal. All good now. Also you can make covers that snap on these for wind protection too.
Sent some pics high lighting close ups and some from a distance so you can see how they look from a distance. Easy to install and they keep the bike off of you in case of a tip over.
38d483bd7b283171cdafc8077d34ec43.jpg
15b90d6fe8b0bf5b9a87ed23ff879be9.jpg
52bd4b925d13622ed00c7445403aef55.jpg
119443f81e984090848d16706458642b.jpg
beb508e9a5072daef88ff46ce1d09009.jpg
c8fcbda8e061e8cf77ba6165e783a8e9.jpg

Those engine guards can be found on ebay under a different brand cheaper because of free shipping.

Mutazu Black 2 piece Engine Guard Highway Crash Bar for Honda NC700S NC700X | eBay

In your pics what kind of auxiliary lights do you have? And are they mounted on the Denali mount?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Those engine guards can be found on ebay under a different brand cheaper because of free shipping.

Mutazu Black 2 piece Engine Guard Highway Crash Bar for Honda NC700S NC700X | eBay

In your pics what kind of auxiliary lights do you have? And are they mounted on the Denali mount?

Those are Denali and they have 4 LED's. two are flood and two are driving lights. They are bright and light up the night. I made the mount out of aluminum flat stock. 1/2" thick by 1.5" wide. Bolted it up under the nose. It is strong. Before I got the crash bars the daughter dumped it in a friend's gravel drive. That mount took the impact and didn't hurt or scratch anything on the bike. I had to cut out part of the mount so the fork tubes don't hit it going from lock to lock.

Now where were you two years ago when I was searching for different sources for those crash bars?!
f2be92b83f20d9588bdc1058b7617b98.jpg
c35e1eb33fdad4843e26278b84268855.jpg
904c0b9df84e65efd9c9d4fd0b187155.jpg
163f2e07be080906856d1562e6371313.jpg
36e0f5f52d63bdce0671792e00fdabf0.jpg

I just looked at these. These look flat black and mine are a nice gloss black. Your posted link said $179. I just looked at the Kijima brand on WeBike.com and they were 110 USD and 55 shipping. Which is $165 and $14 dollars cheaper. Also you can buy other things from WeBike and combine it all.

I just looked at these. These look flat black and mine are a nice gloss black. Your posted link said $179. I just looked at the Kijima brand on WeBike.com and they were 110 USD and 55 shipping. Which is $165 and $14 dollars cheaper. Also you can buy other things from WeBike and combine it all.

Few weeks ago they had them for $143.

You may want to consider a scooter. I have a Piaggio MP3 500 with footpegs for both rider and pillion. Works great on long rides. I commute on it ~130 miles per day and have gone as far as 650 miles in a day a couple of times. Stepthrough design is nice, and footpegs are AWESOME for longer rides. IMG_0525.jpg

You may want to consider a scooter. I have a Piaggio MP3 500 with footpegs for both rider and pillion. Works great on long rides. I commute on it ~130 miles per day and have gone as far as 650 miles in a day a couple of times. Stepthrough design is nice, and footpegs are AWESOME for longer rides.

Were the footpegs an option or aftermarket add-on to the MP3? I agree that footpegs are great on a scooter, so as to allow positioning the feet below the rider instead of out front, as most scooters do. I added footpegs to my and my wife's Rucki (plural of Ruckus?) to relieve back discomfort on long rides.

Last edited:
Were the footpegs an option of aftermarket add-on to the MP3? I agree that footpegs are great on a scooter, so as to allow positioning the feet below the rider instead of out front, as most scooters do. I added footpegs to my and my wife's Rucki (plural of Ruckus?) to relieve back discomfort on long rides.

Yes, aftermarket, and not from a well known source outside the scooter clique. There's this guy on a forum.... I believe he has sold around 100 sets, perhaps more.

I have aftermarket footpegs on my NC Integra. I also have back and knee problems, so this setup gives me relief for whatever hurts first on long trips. I can tuck my legs under me and sit straight up to help my back, or stretch legs on floorboards in several positions to help the knees. Best of both worlds. Plus I still get to enjoy DCT and motorcycle performance unlike the CVT with scooterish chassis. Don’t get me wrong, I like scooters and I do have one, but for longer trips outside of town I’d rather ride something else.

Arkridia:

I have owned and enjoyed a 2013 NC700X for 4 years now.
Like you, I have a bad back.

Several points to make:

The foot positioning does feel a lot better on the NC than it does with a foot forward position bike.
I test rode a Triumph America after years of NC riding and found the cruiser forward controls less comfortable.
It makes me lean back more throwing my feet out forward putting pressure (and so pain) on my back.
As been stated, you can place highway pegs on it to give you an alternate position for your legs/feet.

Bar risers helped push the handle bars back to me allowing an even more upright riding position.

A taller windscreen will take wind pressure off of you making riding more enjoyable.

I have a 28 inch inseam and still enjoy the NC a lot.
Yes, flat footing is difficult and requires me to slide a little more left or right on the seat to do so.

Everyone has different sensors in their backsides!
Some will ride 500 miles on the stock seat and not feel a thing.
Others, like myself, can only go an hour before starting to feel uncomfortable.
Consider seat beads and/or a new seat depending on your "sensors!"

One of the reasons the NC is not the price of a comparable BMW or Triumph is due to less hi grade parts.
One of the main is the suspension.
Depending on how much you will want to put into the bike will help you decide if you would like to pay the money to upgrade the shocks.
This will help move the bike into a higher riding comfort status.

Also, making this bike nice for your back issues is the fact it wears it's weight way down low.
It is not top heavy at all.
You should feel how easy it is to maneuver around a garage or patio.
Also, it is so balanced due to the weight down low that riding this bike at walking speeds is insanely easy.
I can ride mine 2 or 3 MPH with out any wobble or thought of having to put a foot down.
The gas tank is under the rear seat moving that weight beneath you.
Plus, the engine sits way down low in front.
Look at the engine on the NC and then at the bike next to it.
In fact, ALL the bikes next to it!

YES, it will do highway speeds without any difficulty.
It just does not have the punch to shoot out around someone real quickly.
You can pass, it just does not jump out to do it.

Living in north central Penna. I enjoy all of our two lane roads as well.
And even many, many mountain roads.
Yes, it will handle the gravel roads just fine.
In fact, it shines on these roads because the engine is so torquey down in the lower gears.

The listed MPG on this bike is 64.
I get between 74 and 78 constantly and have hit a high of 81.
It sounds like your riding style is similar to mine.
A little slower enjoying the back roads with an occasional highway run.
If you are showing signs of wrist issues I feel the DCT would be a good consideration.
I have the manual but I have only heard good things about the DCT model.
In fact, Honda is bringing out there highest grade bike, the Honda Goldwing, in DCT for 2018 if I heard correctly.

The NC is not in the same class as the V Strom or the Verseys.
They are two totally different bikes.
I think you would enjoy this bike.

My thoughts.

God bless and stay safe on whatever you ride.

Michael

Back