• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

TAT or CDT riders?

Big Daddy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, I’m new to this forum but certainly not new to motorcycling and our trusty steed NC700. I’ve been riding for 50 years and have never been without a motorcycle since the age of 6. Yes, I’m 56 years old now.

Hey, my question is; has anyone here ridden their NC700/750 across the Trans America Trail and/or The Great Continental Divide Trail?

I’m planning on ridding the CDT from New Mexico to Canada. Was hoping someone here could offer advice and mods (if any) they’ve done to their bike. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The portions of the TAT near me in Oklahoma would be no problem for a stock NC700. Around here it is basically rough gravel roads, some with washed out and badly rutted places.

However, I understand further west it gets tougher. Sand, mud, steep rocky trails.
There have been threads on here by people who have done some of it.

At a minimum you would want skid plate, crash bars, handguards, and better tires.
And good enough physical condition to pick it up numerous times.

Last edited:
My biggest concerns would be the alloy rims in Rocky terrain and the weight. Buy a used xt250 for this. Inexpensiveone that will do the trip and is light enough to pick up or manhandle when needed. Spend some time looking at TAT videos.
VLOG 3 - WE GOT BIKES ? Riding the Trans America Trail ? - YouTube

This is a good video series. They have two 250's and an Africa Twin
Pay attention to that in.the rough going..

I ended up trading my NC for a Husky 610 that was TAT ready and had completed it once. I long to do the TAT but will built up to it with 5 days trips this summer as musch as my job will allow. The NC is an awesome bike, and I will miss mine greatly, but for some of teh serious off road sections of these trails, I don;t want to fight a heavy bike, I'd rather have a bike made for the problem. That being said, i also now have a Yam S10, and LOVE it, but don;t see that as a bike I'd slug through the heavy stuff.

I wish Honda made a AT with the NC motor... around 400lbs... I'd be in 100%!!

The way the route goes, you learn as you go. It gets tougher as you go west. Many inexperienced riders have done it successfully. To me, the biggest problem is staying mentally in the game. I just did a weeks worth and could feel it. You are constantly problem solving. Finding places to stay, eat, get gas, worrying about the bikes, avoiding falls etc. But then again, its an experience. (maybe I didn't go far enough to get in a groove. ) I would love to finish it some day, but with a full shoulder replacement on the right side....I don't think my surgeon would be happy.

Thanks for sharing that video series. After watching that and other TAT riders at no point do I find myself saying "gosh I would want to be on that AT or any big heavy bike!". When the going gets tough I absolutely would want to be on the lighter and smaller bikes. After watching that I certainly would not want to ride my NC on the TAT. I would be looking for something in the 250-500cc class bikes that are much lighter, more nimble, and a larger fuel capacity(which counters some of the lighter more nimble points).

Lessons learned from watching this series, carry extra fuel, carry extra water, carry some maps, carry lots of tire repair tubes, plugs etc, make sure you have a centerstand on your bike, and don't blindly go where the GPS tells you to go.

carry some maps... a centerstand on your bike, and don't blindly go where the GPS tells you to go.

That's valid pretty much anywhere ;)

From friends that did cross Africa trips : light bike, simple engineering with few electronics, large tank, engine that can run on "non optimal" fuel. They settled for DR400 with some modifications (tank mostly).

IMHO modern large premium "adventure" bikes are more suited for roads and nice paths, in non-hostile environment, and with available assistance. Look at Paris Dakar results, the KTM 450 is the best tool (and not a 1090 adventure).

OTOH Laurent Cochet did a pretty amazing solo cross Russia trip on a Multistrada ;)

That's valid pretty much anywhere ;)

From friends that did cross Africa trips : light bike, simple engineering with few electronics, large tank, engine that can run on "non optimal" fuel. They settled for DR400 with some modifications (tank mostly).

IMHO modern large premium "adventure" bikes are more suited for roads and nice paths, in non-hostile environment, and with available assistance. Look at Paris Dakar results, the KTM 450 is the best tool (and not a 1090 adventure).

OTOH Laurent Cochet did a pretty amazing solo cross Russia trip on a Multistrada ;)

That's true the rules for fuel, water, maps, centerstand etc should be the norm any time, but it appears to bite a lot of TAT riders.

I keep watching these TAT videos and many people seemed to get lured into the big adventure bikes and then you watch them out on the trail with them and I find myself holding my breath when they get into a pickle and they have to man handle that big heavy bike... Granted it was going to be a battle with a smaller lighter bike, but it is a "here hold my beer" moment when your facing it on a big boy... LOL

There is a series where a father and two sons took a pair of crf250s and African twin on the tat. Very obvious which bike is better for this job

There is a series where a father and two sons took a pair of crf250s and African twin on the tat. Very obvious which bike is better for this job

Yes, this was the series mentioned earlier and that is worth watching for sure. You could tell they were all dreading it every time they got into a pinch and what they were going to face with the AT. Granted riders more experience and skill may not have had as much of a challenge with it. And it appears to be a luck of the draw.

I was just watching a couple of other guys on the TAT and they lucked out the plains were mostly dry so they didn't get into mud/clay soup. But they did get into some bad sand on those GSA's and decided the smell of burning clutches was enough to turn back and try to bypass that section. Last video was just posted a few days ago, but did the ride last year. Last video posted they were in CO so they haven't gotten into Utah and some of the rougher stuff yet.

Back