• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking at NC700X this weekend -- simple maintenance looks real easy

TarsTarkas

Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to look at a 2013 NC700X with 2K miles this weekend that seems fairly priced. It looks really nice in the photos (Craigslist). I've also been looking on YouTube for maintenance videos and after the few I saw, it looks like engine oil/filter is a snap. Also battery access, in the front of that large "tank" compartment looks very easy also. That's good news, but I think typical of modern Japanese bikes.

Any thoughts or things I need to be aware of with the 2013 NC700X? Recalls? Issues?

Here's a pic . . .

2013-NC700X-1.jpg

Valve clearance is little bit more involved but they have far intervals. Haven’t done the air filter but heard that’s a pain.

There isn’t anything NC700X specific but would look at things that you would with any used bikes. Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OEM chain does not seem to last too long on the 700.........keep that sucka lubed and cleaned!!

Valve clearance is little bit more involved but they have far intervals. Haven’t done the air filter but heard that’s a pain.

There isn’t anything NC700X specific but would look at things that you would with any used bikes. Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tip!

Tars...I'm new to the forum but I just bought a used, 2013 NC with DCT. I paid $3500 for it, to give you an idea. (I'm sure there's cheaper but it's what I wanted and it's MY money!!!)

I have owned a CTX700 for over 2 years now and they are practically the same thing, engine-wise. They are very easy to maintain..actually easier on the NC when it comes to valves! (I have to take off all of the CTX fairing plastics and the tank plastics for the air filter alone...and once they're off it's easier to get to the valves, too.)
I know the NC is less plastics so that's a good thing.

Chains are chains! I've seen some guys hardly ever lube them and get more miles that others who are meticulous! Chains are pretty easy to replace with the right tools.

2K miles is nothing!!! There are at least two CTX owners with over 110K and many more up around the 80K, and none of them are having any issues at all.

I think Honda nailed it with these bikes! I'd go for it!

***Just noticed that bike in your picture also has the Honda Rear Carrier Rack and a better than OEM windscreen!

Last edited:
I am one of the LEAST mechanical people you will ever meet, but even I can change the air filter, spark plugs, oil, and oil filter on this motorcycle.

I've put 110,000 miles on mine (2012), and in that time the only major problem was the clutch (burned that out on a hillside), and the water pump. (its seals failed and needed replacement).

It's easy to work on and fairly cheap to service compared to other motorcycles.
It's not flashy, it's not a speed bike, but it does exactly what I need it to do.

Not that the NC700X models had many recalls anyway, but the US 2013 model year NC700X had no recalls at all.

In terms of maintenance the NC has two big advantages :
- fairly large service intervals (air filter 16k miles and spark plugs 32k are sweet)
- contrary to other bikes, you can access valve clearance without dropping tank, air box, exhaust recycling crap and you can adjust them without removing the camshafts.

At least for me, the most difficult part was understanding that everything that is plastic on that bike is interlocked with another piece of plastic and many (most?) of them are secured by push fasteners. :-(

I had to sell my Nighthawk 750 and DR650 to get my NC. I miss them, but I wanted low CG and antilock brakes. The frunk and DCT are a bonus. I'm 64.

I am one of the LEAST mechanical people you will ever meet, but even I can change the air filter, spark plugs, oil, and oil filter on this motorcycle.

I've put 110,000 miles on mine (2012), and in that time the only major problem was the clutch (burned that out on a hillside), and the water pump. (its seals failed and needed replacement).

It's easy to work on and fairly cheap to service compared to other motorcycles.
It's not flashy, it's not a speed bike, but it does exactly what I need it to do.
Thanks for the info. Good going! 110,000 miles, that's great!

In terms of maintenance the NC has two big advantages :
- fairly large service intervals (air filter 16k miles and spark plugs 32k are sweet)
- contrary to other bikes, you can access valve clearance without dropping tank, air box, exhaust recycling crap and you can adjust them without removing the camshafts.
Honda seems to have thought this one out pretty good, so that anyone can do normal maintenance. Thanks.

At least for me, the most difficult part was understanding that everything that is plastic on that bike is interlocked with another piece of plastic and many (most?) of them are secured by push fasteners. :-(
Thanks for the warning. My ZX-14R has a difficult plastic side panel (with push/grommet fasteners) that needs to be removed to access the battery -- PITA.

I had to sell my Nighthawk 750 and DR650 to get my NC. I miss them, but I wanted low CG and antilock brakes. The frunk and DCT are a bonus. I'm 64.
This model that I'm looking at doesn't have the DCT option.

I had a DR650 about 15 years ago -- very nice bike.

I know thy did have a recall on the chain, but i think it might have only been on the 2012 models. These bikes are pretty bullet proof, unless you see obvious signs of abuse.

Back