• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2018: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A new year, a new thread!

At -17 F today and little chance of change, I'm worried that I only winterized the NC, and didn't 'polarize' it.

Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Happy New Year!

81F72732-92B5-475E-9EB1-758AB704F928.jpg

Fitness center parking lot, 8 a.m.

Three degrees Fahrenheit. (-16)

I did not ride there, but I did bring my little jump start battery in for a charge. I have designated the first of each month as “recharge batteries day.”

Last edited:
Arrived in SoCal after a nice day ride down from Oregon. Temps started in low to mid 30’s and then 40’s for the first few hours, but finally creeped into the 50’s and even low 60’s for most of the day. 14 hours (6am-8pm) and 920 miles later I reached my destination.

Tuesday I pick up my newly acquired Kendon folding trailer.

4836EB66-14CA-4648-B59E-0F2F934B3830.jpg

HNY everyone!

Ray

Today.........ordered a DanMoto Exhaust System. May have to buy the optional "baffle" later if it "barks" too much. :D

Sticking with tradition I got out for a ride today and put 20 miles on the NC in 36-43 degree F rain, 125 miles on the ST1300.

Nice trailer Ray.

I ordered bags for my NC and some chain adjustment tools. Still a little cool for me in Texas to ride but maybe by the weekend.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Today I drove down the NJ Turnpike a couple miles to IKEA Elizabeth. Temperature in the teens, and some crazy wind out there, especially passing by Newark Airport.

FYI, IKEA has these new (to me) zippable 20 gallon duffel bags for $4.99. Easy to slip on as a backpack. I filled it with the towels and blanket and pillow stuff and rode it back. No troubles

20180101_170534a.jpg

Last edited:
Nice trailer Ray.
Thanks, I found it on eBay and got lucky. Which was fortunate for me because I had just won an auction for a Class B motorhome the day before, also on eBay. (Bad combination = boredom on a beach, WiFi, and an iPad surfing eBay auctions 8,000 miles away.) I decided I needed a base camp to ride from on my NC’ & Moto-Mule ‘RV’ when exploring different regions.

Later this week I head to Tampa to pick this up.

1D956F8F-95FB-47F1-993D-4107855BC7D7.jpg

With this combination of the camper van and trailer carrying my ‘NC (and Moto-Mule), I can travel year round anywhere on North America. The ‘NC for local back roads, the camper for the interstate highways.

Ray

Looks like a good combination to me. Keep us posted on your travels so some of us still trapped in the working routine can share your freedom vicariously. I'd enjoy meeting to ride some great roads in my area.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Went out and had to get an air compressor for my car tire which went flat overnight (Sunday-Monday) and it was f#$%ing cold. Even maxed out, the heated gear did next to nothing against 8 deg temps. but, car tire is full, and now I have a nice air compressor for the garage and bike as well. Went back into the house, started watching "Long Way Down", just to hear about the 40-50 deg C temps they were riding in.

Started it to check if the battery is still full... It was :)
Tomorrow the weather expectations are shite, but I don't think 100km/h wind gusts will ever occur when I'm commuting.
Also I'm trying out the new "Navigon Cruiser" app from Garmin. It has a twisty roads feature, but it's only a trail for 7 days :/

I rode the polar bear ride out here in Portland, OR on New Year’s Day. It was brisk, but there were 300+ riders. After a stop for brunch, I split off from the group of 25 I was riding with and took the long and curvy way home. At some point I started noticing that the grass was still frozen, putting me at risk for black ice, so I turned around and took the other long curvy route home that stayed at lower elevation. It was a good day, and my fingertips eventually thawed back out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typical commute today. Thermometer in the back yard said 34 when I left for work in the morning. Mid 40s for the ride home. Dang, I love this bike!
>Thom

Went out to the garage to ensure the trickle charger was still working. Too dang cold for these old bones. 5 days in a row morning temps has been single digits and Tuesday morning it was -5'F at my house (20 miles north of Louisville Kentucky). It was 6'F this morning when I left for work. Even my little Prius is hating the cold-my mpg for the Prius has dropped from avg 58mpg to 49mpg-it don't like the cold...the high today will be in the teens at my house and tomorrow the high may not reach the teens. I know you farther north folks are colder, but dang, I don't live in the north/northeast US for a reason-I hate the cold..told the CEO of my company yesterday I am having bike DTs, haven't ridden since before Thanksgiving....

Strange weather indeed. I just had a look at the latitudes of Indiana and the USA in general vis a vis Ireland. We are way further north over here yet we have temperatures of about 8C at the moment whereas Southern Indiana is having -15/-20C by comparison. If we were to have such temperatures our little country would grind to a total halt. The lowest we have seen this winter so far is about -4C.

I queried all of this with the Wife (who knows everything) and She tells me that our temperate climes are because of a current called the Gulf Stream which originates in the Gulf of Mexico and travels up the east coast of North America and across the Atlantic to our West Coast. As our prevailing winds are westerlies we get the benefits of the higher temperatures transported across the Atlantic by this current. The Jet streams at higher altitudes also play a part according to the Wife.

All of this resulted in me being able to do a 360km trip on one of my bikes on New Years day. It wasn't all plain sailing however as we experienced heavy rain for half of that trip. It was a good start to the year though and one I plan to continue. :D

My sympathies are extended to davidc83 for his current weather induced tribulations of course. :(

Smart wife. The Gulf Stream is also responsible for all the rain and moisture you get.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I am stuck with the same weather as DavidC83 (I'm in Louisville) and while I have been on mine a few more times since Thanksgiving, not many. I am counting down the the first good day for riding. I was looking back at some photos and last year, first real good ride was first of February. I want earlier than that, but I'm not holding my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back