• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Flashing dash gear indication

X8052

Reaction score
Visit site
I am new to the nc700. The forum is very helpful. I am experiencing a problem with DCT. 3-4 times per month. While riding the gear I am in sticks in and the flashing dash appears on the indicator. The D/S works but I can not select a gear. If I stop and shut off hlthe engine I can not get it into neutral and I hear a clanking sound. I think that if I rock the bike front and back that helps to select neutral and start the engine. I've changed oil filter and the battery is in ok condition. No error codes appears. Any ideas?

Hi, thanks for the answer. I don't think that this solve the issue.this is actually the case the manual refers on page 97 whereit says that you should go to a dealer. But he dealer does not find any error codes. Does someone has an idea of what may the problem be? Question. Does the dct calibration happen also when the battery is removed for many hours?

I have not found a solution yet.i need your feedback on the following. I tried on the road all 6 gears while rolling killing the engine until I stop. On the gear 1 to 3 the dct was going to neutral when I turn on the the red switch again. BUT on 4 to 6 it did not. Can this mean something?

Hi, thanks for the answer. I don't think that this solve the issue.this is actually the case the manual refers on page 97 whereit says that you should go to a dealer. But he dealer does not find any error codes. Does someone has an idea of what may the problem be? Question. Does the dct calibration happen also when the battery is removed for many hours?
I'm with HarveyM, suspect it's a bent shift fork.
The battery disconnect does nothing related to DCT "calibration".
I would seek another dealer.

I have not found a solution yet.i need your feedback on the following. I tried on the road all 6 gears while rolling killing the engine until I stop. On the gear 1 to 3 the dct was going to neutral when I turn on the the red switch again. BUT on 4 to 6 it did not. Can this mean something?

If the engine stops in higher gears it can’t return to neutral by itself. You have to push or rock the the bike to get the transmission moving. That part is normal for the DCT: DCT Stuck In Gear
So the problem is 'only' the transmission not shifting while you're riding. I feel you need someone who's willing to check your transmission ($) :(

I am new to the nc700. The forum is very helpful. I am experiencing a problem with DCT. 3-4 times per month. While riding the gear I am in sticks in and the flashing dash appears on the indicator. The D/S works but I can not select a gear. If I stop and shut off hlthe engine I can not get it into neutral and I hear a clanking sound. I think that if I rock the bike front and back that helps to select neutral and start the engine. I've changed oil filter and the battery is in ok condition. No error codes appears. Any ideas?
" No error codes appears. Any ideas?"
The dash will not show anything except the blinking dash, instead of the usual gear number.
The DTC(Diagnostic Trouble Code) will be stored in memory and you need a computer to read the codes.
There is a way to read manually using the kickstand but I suggest you take this to a competent dealer.

Problem solved. Finally is was this pin which was broken. it costs 5 euros but the labor is 70 euros and as the bike is out of warranty it is not covered. The shop told me that this is a kind of usual issue and that due to the design of the gearbox, the pin does not come of to cause further damage.

So another one with broken pin. I wonder if this is a 700 only issue and if it was redesigned and thus fixed somehow for 750 models. I did not check the parts catalogs, but before I try has anyone gone through the trouble of checking the part numbers of this pin between model years already?

Edit: Answering my own question. I only have an older parts catalogue at my disposal, but it lists 700 as well as 750 parts and the dreaded gearshift pin has the same part no. for both (24315-HA0-000 if anyone cares). In fact the entire gearshift drum is the same. I still don’t know if it applies to newer models as well, but I highly doubt there is any difference at all.

Edit2: I also looked into the service manual and replacing the little sucker takes quite a lot of wrenching as to get to it one must pull out the dual clutch assembly. Not something I would adventure to do myself in my garage. So I can see why the shop writes such a meaty bill for the job. But considering that another inmate from UK I think was £300 lighter, 70€ is a bargain.

Edit3: To continue this saga and to get some kind of closure, I checked online parts catalogues and I found that something did change, because the part number is different (24315-HL4-000) for 2016 and onward model years. Whatever that means. However, the same part is now used also in Africa Twin DCT. So, my conclusion is that there was some redesign for third generation DCT. If for better, remains to be seen.

Last edited:
only just saw this - same things happened to me

Problem solved. Finally is was this pin which was broken. it costs 5 euros but the labor is 70 euros and as the bike is out of warranty it is not covered. The shop told me that this is a kind of usual issue and that due to the design of the gearbox, the pin does not come of to cause further damage.

I had the exact same thing happen, dealership sent me away a few times until the pin finally snapped. It's a design flaw, a poorly welded component that will fail at some point

Although OP called it a "pin" , I doubt that is the correct part description.
There have been several other reports of the "gearshift spindle" causing same problem.

But for each one that fails, there are hundreds/thousands without problems.
Oh great... another pin? I thought that "this pin" is a shifter pin, which is screwed and not welded...

View attachment 35702

View attachment 35703

Well, engineering students learn in the first year what "reliability" means in the manufacturing process, I did.
It's the same whether it is mechanical or soft goods, the reliabililty is never 100%- just real world expectation.
I guess that's why manufacturers give consumers a warranty, not a guarantee.
That's (not) funny. It reminds me (very) old joke about worker reporting to a boss that he can't operate vehicle because one wheel is broken.
"How many wheels are in the vehicle?" - asked boss.
"Four".
"You have three good wheels left, yes?... So, stop complaining and go back to work!" :):confused:

Honda would love this kind of statements from owners.
They know about DCT design problems from the beginning. That's why they put in owner's manual this ridiculous and arrogant advice what to do "If you cannot start the engine".

I just experience the same issue with my bike today and last week. I'm going schedule repair Im going to mention this problem to the mechanic.

Back