• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

An "S" stand installation for a lowered NC

WPZ

Reaction score
Visit site
The second thing done to our NC700XD when it got home was the installation of a set of Soupy's lowering links. Along with a 1/2" (13mm) raising of the fork tubes, they produced about an 1 1/2" (38mm) reduction of saddle height, just enough to get the new owner moving comfortably.
Immediately following was a shortening of the sidestand. This was illustrated in a previous post here. Cut-and-plug was the general method.
But the centerstand was still a problem. It's necessary for us, given the confines of our garage, to have to park on the centerstands of our bikes, but I have a long habit of doing so anyway. Chain lube, anyone?
That was dealt with in the garage by placing a ramp of pine that raised the front wheel 1 1/2" when in the usual parking spot. This was enough to make the stand usable, if not particularly easy.
At the suggestion of 670cc and others here, I took the plunge and ordered the OEM Honda NC700S centerstand kit from Webike Japan. The "S" version is lower than the "X" but otherwise much the same bike.
Since her NC also has a Two Brothers can installed that the previous owner spend a lot of money on, the centerstand stop is an issue. Her bike had a steel plate bolted to the center bar of the stand with a rubber grommet bumping against the bottom of the shock's lower eye, visible in the last photo. The stand footpedal banged against the rider's heel as a result as the shock extended and contracted. Annoying but not a terrible problem.
So I also ordered the centerstand "stopper" Webike sells for another thirty bucks. I had other ideas for a stop but this one seemed okay.
The package arrived in only six days from Tokyo. That's astonishing to me. The total price with that medium-speed shipping was just under $200. This is a full notch less than the SW Motech "S" stand, so we went cheap.
No matter, it turned out very well. About the only thing that took any time was hooking the stand's main spring onto the peg. The lower frame lug junction gets in the way of a proper approach with a #3 Phillips screwdriver, so I got my cutting torch and removed it.
Just kidding on that one.
The result is highly satisfactory. The bike goes up reasonably easily for the New Owner who's not yet completely acclimated to motorcycle centerstanding and rolls right off with a nice shove. It's actually a bit easier than her old '81 CM400A, in fact.
I rode it down a long, potholed gravel driveway listening for rattles and other bad behavior but heard none, so I'm pronouncing it a success for now. I will have to see, later when decent weather returns, if there are any cornering dragging issues- a lowered NC seems to get the peg feelers close pretty quickly- but for ordinary toodling and traveling, it's fine. And, no heel-tapping like the old one.
Here's a look:

finished.jpg

closeup installed.jpg

stand height comparison.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't lowered mine, but I want to and the center stand was the issue. Also thanks to 670 I ordered the stand and it just arrived. I neglected to get the side stand, wasn't sure if it is a fit, so I guess I need to do that. Then, I'll order the links and have a project for this winter. I also want to go Cogent on the forks.

I haven't lowered mine, but I want to and the center stand was the issue. Also thanks to 670 I ordered the stand and it just arrived. I neglected to get the side stand, wasn't sure if it is a fit, so I guess I need to do that. Then, I'll order the links and have a project for this winter. I also want to go Cogent on the forks.

Soupy's links ordered. I'll sneak up on this thing.

Soupy's links ordered. I'll sneak up on this thing.

If you decide to get the soupy's adjustable kickstand you may want to check out a few threads in the forum on the kickstand. A few of the members here I think have reported the kickstand broke when they stood on the pegs to mount the bike.... At least I think I remember reading that. If your going a different route on the kickstand shortening then be sure it's strong enough to hold your weight.

At our age we can't afford a kickstand breaking and having the bike fall over on us :D

Dr dubb We need to meet up sometime... I work right next to Briar Creek... I know you live closeby.

I read the same reports. I plan to get the 700S kickstand.

Yes, I recently moved to the Del Web community out there. Love to get together and ride or if you just want to drop by the garage and talk motorcycles. I work mornings 8-1, M-th. Friday is a riding day if the weather cooperates.

As to the shortened sidestand: I did a post a while back about my doing a shortening of the stock sidestand. I'd modified other stands in the past so this was worth a try, and it has worked very well so far. Plus, this method has a degree of "adjustability" if you go about it right.

I've cut the sidestand on two bikes (NT700V and NC700XD) that were lowered and always made the first cut just above the sidestand foot, then cut out the unnecessary section and rewelded the foot to the stem. This way, any force on the sidestand - such as standing on the left footpeg - is compressing the weld joint.

Well, since I have no direct experience there- Her bike came with the Two Brothers rattlecan- I hesitate to say, but I believe it should work.
That's a good question.

Will I need the stop accessory if I have stock exhaust?
Most likely not as the stock exhaust has a welded on flat piece of metal on the left side of the muffler or the pipe leading to the muffler. It is horizontal/parallel to the ground. See if you have it. You should. If the center stand doesn't come with a rubber piece where the stand meets the muffler you can order the rubber piece or fabricate one.
I can go home and check the standard stand as that bike is in my garage. The S stand was put in storage for the winter.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I went ahead and ordered the stopper. I don't want to go back and put it on laters. Center stands are hard enough to install.

I'e got the S Centerstand and a did-it-with-the-help-for-machinist-friend shortened and adjustable sidestand. Standard exhaust and no bumper needed. Also put Cogent gizzies in the forks. And lowering links.
Sweet for quite a few miles!

Back