• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rookie Mistake, Hello Ground

Brillot2000

Reaction score
Visit site
This past Saturday I made a "Rookie Mistake" after having a new tire put on the rear of NaNCy. Normally the guy at the front counter at my favorite Honda Dealer would remind me to take it easy for the first 50 miles after getting a new tire put on. A new guy is now and he did not mentioned it to put it into my mind before leaving.

I got 2 blocks away and made a right turn and wanted to get around quickly to for the guy waiting to cross the street. Almost after or midway in the turn the rear wheel washed out and I went down. After I came to at stop, I stood up immediately and then proceeded to put up NaNCy off the ground and to the curb out of traffic. A lot of people asked if I was alright, me trying to catch my breath stating give me a moment to catch my breath. Both the bike and I faired pretty well concidering the circumstances.

Once I got myself collected and then I looked at setting NaNCy's condition to her road worthy again. I adjusted the Barkbuster on the left that slammed into the left painted scoop piece, which it had slammed into and wedges itself there. I straightened everything out enough to ride on my to the next destination.

Here are the damages:

IMG_8888[1].jpg

IMG_8889[1].jpg

IMG_8890[1].jpg

IMG_8891[1].jpg

IMG_8892[1].jpg

I am sure what little you see is well over a $1,00 in damages, there's a lot of broken plastic parts internally. I have straightened out all the parts/items that I will not be replacing and made the necessary repairs to those items. I am sure that I will be spending about $400-500 for only the necessary parts to put NaNCy back into presentable condition and do all the replacement myself.

My body is a bit sore and stiff cause this all. I know how to take a fall without sustaining any major injuries. I think that my right hand slammed into something or the road when I hit the ground. The index knuckle looks bruised and the surrounding area is swollen.

Please remember to take it easy on a new tire. Also reminder your local dealer to remind their customers too. Otherwise, they may do what I ended up doing. :p

Last edited:
Been there, new rear tire, rain, perfect combination...

Hope you get yourself and the bike up and running again soon.

Both NaNCy and I are resilient. We were both able to get up and ride away. That has a lot to say about us both.

My ego has been bruised and that will take the most time to mend... :rolleyes:
After taking a blow to the ego (and wallet) it's nice of you to use the situation to educate or re-educate the rest of us here.
Thanks for the reminder I'll be getting a new front tire in a week or two and I'll remember this.
Glad to hear you and Nancy didn't get hurt any worse then you did.

Glad to hear that you are alright. The bike looks repairable. (For some odd reason, though, that duct cover is one of the more expensive body panels on the NC). Like you said, too, the ego takes a big hit.

Out of curiousity and for the sake of the possible safety of other riders, what brand and model of tire was installed? I wonder if certain tires have more tendency to be slick when new than others.

Anytime I get a new rear tire, I hold the front brake and rev the motor and slowly pop the clutch and do a small burnout for about 7 seconds... Burns the tire right in, Wiggle the *** end around a bit and your good to go. Also riding on gravel or sand helps a lot...

Glad to hear that you are alright. The bike looks repairable. (For some odd reason, though, that duct cover is one of the more expensive body panels on the NC). Like you said, too, the ego takes a big hit.

Out of curiousity and for the sake of the possible safety of other riders, what brand and model of tire was installed? I wonder if certain tires have more tendency to be slick when new than others.

Thank you for your concern for my well being.

All this damage is totally repairable with all the right replacement parts. I used my heat gun to heat up the front cowl below the impact site pop it back into shape. Some of the plastic mountings broke off there too, however, they are not as critical as the compartment bucket mounting point.

Actually the front cowl it attaches to retails for over $300 and also received some damages. That duct piece retails for over $200. I found it for $168 at Dillion Brother's Honda in Nebraska. I will be replacing this piece and cargo compartment piece as the mounting tab broke clear off it.

Again this was not the tire's fault, it as a Rookie Mistake on my part. The tire was a Bridgestone T30 if inquiring minds must know.

All tires have a preserving oil sprayed on them. Normally the dealership or shop will warn you before you leave there. This was overlooked and I was not thinking about it.

Anytime I get a new rear tire, I hold the front brake and rev the motor and slowly pop the clutch and do a small burnout for about 7 seconds... Burns the tire right in, Wiggle the *** end around a bit and your good to go. Also riding on gravel or sand helps a lot...

That will scrub in the center of the tire, but doesn't do much when leaned over cornering.

FWIW, with the amount of scraping on the Barkbusters, it's almost certain that the front fork is tweaked. The tubes probably aren't bent, but they are twisted in the trees. The way to check it is to lay a flat plate across the tubes and see if it can be rocked. If it can, then the pinch bolts have to be loosened and the fork twisted back into position.

FWIW, with the amount of scraping on the Barkbusters, it's almost certain that the front fork is tweaked. The tubes probably aren't bent, but they are twisted in the trees. The way to check it is to lay a flat plate across the tubes and see if it can be rocked. If it can, then the pinch bolts have to be loosened and the fork twisted back into position.

I am in the shop now and checked them out. They are lined up perfectly. I got lucky with that one.

Sorry to here this Brillot2000. I plan on getting new tires next spring or as soon as the weather permits. My bike is a 2012 NC700x DCT. Just got it 7 weeks ago. Will be taking your advice on easing into them.

I was always told it is the release agent from the mold that is on the tires when new.
I was also told my Michelin PR4's didn't have the agent so no worries out of the box.
I don't know If true but I have never had a problem with slippage.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

A mistake I made after retracting the pads on my BMw to get my wheels back on after re tiring them, was not pumping the levers to get them back out. It was a wild backward ride out of my shed's ramp. Luckily I fell over before I smacked into the above ground pool. No harm done except my handlebars got bent, which were pretty easy to straighten with an iron pipe. Could have gotten ugly if on pavement instead of lawn, or worse ,if I needed to stop on the street.

Back