• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

looking for Travel Cover

Willie

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Friends, I am in the market for a tough well fitting travel cover for my NC 700X I will be pulling a small open trailer for long distance travel, and am looking to find a cover that will not beat up the paint, but will keep road grime off, sometimes towing in rain and snow. anyhelp or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading this post.
Willie.......

Thanks for your response, I checked Honda and they say their cover is not recommended for trailering. Have you trailered with this cover?

If i understand you correctly you want a cover for the NC on a trailer?
No soft cover is able to withstand wind turbulence w/o beating itself to death or anything under it.
A fully enclosed trailer is the best choice for long travel destinations out of the elements.
Honda covers (in the 90s) are indoor use only and like any soft cover would be reduced to tatters on the highway.

Doubt it. Any flap at all will affect the paint. You'd probably have better luck building some sort of wind/debris shield bolted to your trailer. Sheet aluminum or aluminum framed lexan sheet could work.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

You are probably right. I do intend to build a front shield that will stand about 30” high, leaning back slightly from bottom to top.

Attaching an angled shield to the front of a trailer would create a sizeable negative pressure back draft.
There would be so much 'dirty' air and no gain in protection for the bike.
There is no such thing as a truly functional (soft) trailerable cover.
A bike on a open trailer is no worse off than a bike being ridden down a highway IMO.

A good example is a rear wheel 'hugger' fender that does absolutely nothing in keeping the area free of debris.
At best it may reduce the sandblast effect on the swing arm pivot point.

you might be right, but I have pulled snowmobiles with a similar shields, and it does protect quite well, I am not so much concerned about dirt, but want to keep as much debris and salt off the bike. Thanks for your analysis.Ride safe my friend.

Being from MN, I am guessing you've got a snowmobile type trailer (large deck above the wheels) that is going to put the bike higher in the air than a utility trailer. That alone will help keep the road salt off. I agree with the others that a soft cover is NOT a good idea for protecting the paint finish.

My suggestion is to look into the "shrink-wrap" materials available. A hair dryer will do for applying the film. They use them for shipping boats all the time, so they are durable for towing. Just leave a bit open on the bottom to allow drainage.

Alternatively, If you are going to fabricate a shield, consider one that is curved back from the center toward the edges of the trailer (from above it is "C" shaped) instead of the snowmobile shaped horizontal "C".

I wonder if you can get a honda shipping crate from a dealer? From what I've seen they're a metal frame that you could cover with a light plywood...

My suggestion is to look into the "shrink-wrap" materials available. A hair dryer will do for applying the film. They use them for shipping boats all the time, so they are durable for towing. Just leave a bit open on the bottom to allow drainage.

that is a fascinating idea

Great Idea, probably only need two or three, and I am not really concerned about looks.
Ill give that some setious thought.
Thanks again. Willie.......

I will agree with all above that any soft cover will rub paint. If you fabricate a shield for stones that would help. I would leave it uncovered and do the following. Clean it, use chemicalguys.com clay block and luber on paint and windshield. Then wipe it clean with new clean cloth. Next use Top coat F-11 on everything and wipe it down. Do not use F11 on rims if you use stick on weights. They won't stick shortly after applying F11. Then use new clean cloth to wipe off excess/buff.
That should do for dirt. If going to haul in salt then buy some ACF-50 and spray/mist down bike and wipe it down. DO NOT GET ANY ON THE BRAKE ROTORS OR TIRES!
When you get to where you are going then stop off and visit a car wash and pressure wash it off.
Done. Bike will look beautiful and clean. When going back do the acf-50 again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back