• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

ABS can be scary

evrenozsoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Some portion of my way to work is slippery with mud over asphalt when it rains. ABS adds good amount of extra braking distance in such condition.

XT1033 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

This is to be expected, that is how ABS works. Think of it this way, without ABS that extra distance you could be sliding on that slippery surface on your side. Thanks to ABS you were at least able to keep the wheels on the road. You can't fool physics, were there is no traction, there is no stopping power, with or without ABS.

Some portion of my way to work is slippery with mud over asphalt when it rains. ABS adds good amount of extra braking distance in such condition.

No offense intended, but if this is your first bike, how do you know ABS adds extra braking distance?
Think it may be the slick mud that adds braking distance, and the ABS keeps you upright?

No offense intended, but if this is your first bike, how do you know ABS adds extra braking distance?
Think it may be the slick mud that adds braking distance, and the ABS keeps you upright?
You maybe right. My Dunlop stock tires may not be suitable for such winter condition too.
When it is dry I can use front brakes with confidence thanks to ABS. But I believe locking rear tire can be better in wet surface. As you said it is my first bike and I don't know. Did somebody test it?

[...I believe locking rear tire can be better in wet surface...]

With the tire locked, you lack control from that end of the bike. Riding safely in wet conditions is all about CONTROL.

My advice would be to practice hard braking in a controlled environment. Find an empty parking lot with the riding conditions you experience and practice emergency braking. Start with speeds at 30km to get a feel for how the bike handles. How much brake can be applied before abs kicks in. How quickly/how much space you need to slow down. As you get comfortable you can gradually increase the speed in 10km increments.

I will do this at the start of the rainy season. Probably time to do it again with the wet leaves blowing around...

When it is dry I can use front brakes with confidence thanks to ABS. But I believe locking rear tire can be better in wet surface. As you said it is my first bike and I don't know. Did somebody test it?

I think that the "is ABS better in the wet?" question has been asked and answered in the affirmative a number of times. Not only is the control better but the stopping distances are shorter.

Here's an example using almost 10 year old ABS tech.

[video=youtube;X6kO6ltk3a0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6kO6ltk3a0[/video]

Thank you guys. You're right I need to practice.

Why brake? Just gas thru? :)

Back