• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Just purchased 2015 NC700X, second time out and CEL came on

DanaLee

Reaction score
Visit site
I just purchased my first NC700X after not riding for many years and am super excited. The only drawback is that today on my second ride, the check engine light came on and the speedometer went blank. This happened after stopping at a light quickly because it changed on me. After stopping, I couldn't get it to shift into first gear, but it finally went. After the light had changed and I was going again, I noticed that my check engine light had come on and the speedometer was blank. After arriving home and turning the engine off and back on, the CEL went off and the speedometer seemed to be working again. Has anyone ever had this happen to them, and what should I look at? The bike has 5,600 miles on it.

It looks like intermittent electrical fault. You should start first with reseating of main connectors: to combination meter and to ECM/PCM and observe if there are any DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). Service manual would be very helpful.

I recall reading a case with these symptoms before. The instrument panel seems to be sensitive to battery/electrical system voltage, and serves as an early indicator. I’d suggest checking the cable connections at the battery, and also making an assessment of the battery’s health.

Another possibility is the speed sensor. Read this thread: Check Engine Light and No Spedometer Display

Also, you might try to Google “NC700-forum speedometer blank” for other threads.

Last edited:
Go to the easiest choice first which always a good strategy in troubleshooting. Remove the battery and have it charged, clean the terminals and cable ends, apply di-electric grease then tighten terminal bolts. :eek:

A battery which states 'charged' may still not be good (I posted 3-4 weeks ago in regards to this). Sounds like a loose battery connection or a bad battery.

To the OP, when you stated that the speedometer went blank, did you mean only the speed readout, while every thing else on the combination meter stayed on? If that were the case, the problem is almost surely the speed sensor or its wiring.

Also, which transmission do you have?

To the OP, when you stated that the speedometer went blank, did you mean only the speed readout, while every thing else on the combination meter stayed on? If that were the case, the problem is almost surely the speed sensor or its wiring.

Also, which transmission do you have?

I believe that only the speedometer went blank. I'm pretty sure I saw the mileage and heard on the dashboard. Any ideas on checking on the wiring for the speed sensor, like where the cable is routed? Is it easy to find? I have a manual transmission.

I believe that only the speedometer went blank. I'm pretty sure I saw the mileage and heard on the dashboard. Any ideas on checking on the wiring for the speed sensor, like where the cable is routed? Is it easy to find? I have a manual transmission.

The speed sensor is sitting on top of the manual transmission on the left side of the motorcycle, as seen in post #9. It is above and (I think) slightly forward of the chain drive countershaft sprocket. It actually measures the speed of the left most gear on the transmission input shaft. The sensor has an electrical connector that is easy to access. You might try inspecting that connection and reseating the plug.

Thank you! I found the service manual to help out. I did check the battery cables last night and they were secure. Everything has been working great since that one time the speedometer went blank. I guess it reset itself after turning off the engine. I will look at the sensors this weekend.

Back