• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Spare Fuel

Tiny Tim

Reaction score
Visit site
One thing that concerns me with regard to the bike design is the size of the fuel tank. I wanted to have an "ace up my sleeve" with regard to an extra fuel reserve.

I already had a 1litre fuel bottle then I spotted a tube on a friends bike that he uses for tools etc. I tried out the 1 litre bottle and it fitted better that I could have hoped for.

Found the supplier and bought me one. Only around 10 bucks.

There was room for it inboard of the Givi Pannier Rack and I also managed to install a lock screw.

It looks bigger than it is in the first picture but it clears the tyre with room to spare.

Attachments

• Fuel 2.jpg
    Fuel 2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 705
  • Fuel1.jpg
    Fuel1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 725
Last edited:
If one wants to make their own tubes, 3" or 4" PVC pipe works well. The threads 670cc mentioned above may already cover this (I did not read thru all the pages). While PVC is not as glamorous as the Agri-Tubes, the PVC can be as long as you need/want. The one I mounted on my vstrom is 15" - 18" long. It can hold a fuel bottle plus lots of tools, tire patch kits..... whatever. There are 2-3 different ways to incorporate a cap and a mounting system with PVC. To me, that's part of the "fun"........fabricating your own little designs in a farkle!!

Hi,
Could you tell me where you got the tube and fuel can from please.
Thanks

Google "Tractor Document tube" 13 Pounds in the UK, 16 Dollars in the US. Shop around for better prices. The 1 Litre Fuel can is available from Go Camping in the UK.

1 Litre equates to 0.26 US Gallons. I'll let you estimate your own range

I decided to go for a single tube and decided to mount it on the left hand side, away from the exhaust

Mounting it behind the Pannier allows a discrete locking screw to be added, stopping anyone helping themselves when the bike's parked. Spraying the tube black covered up the stencilled yellow instructions that are emblazoned on the tube.

Zip ties or cable ties are designed for precisely that - tying cables. If something more substantial is required, stainless steel ties are available. These are "non releasable" and should not be used after reading 50 Shades of Grey. (Don't ask me how I know this)

I like to carry a bit of spare fuel. I've managed to save several rider's bacon on the side of the road.

Can't leave a man stranded. (I've yet to save a fair damsel but I live in hope!)

Last edited:
I don't worry about fuel unless going off road on fire roads where getting lost is very possible. Out west going 55 in the mountains the NC made 87 mpg. In Illinois it makes 70! With 3 gallons before your .7 gallon reserve you theoretically have 210 mile range and if in Illinois you have a reserve of around 40 to 50. Anywhere east of the Mississippi river you should be fine. Out west never had a problem as long as we filled up before the third bar or better if we knew fuel stop was farther away. So I am interested to hear from folks that have put these gas bottles on. Has anyone ever used them or is it more for peace of mind?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

For me it was peace of mind. The tune of the NC700X's mpg is affected to a large degree by wind and temperature as well as speed. Poking along it gets great mileage but when it's cold and running against a headwind and I needed to make some distance at 75-80 mph it would make 40-45 mpg and show reserve at 130 miles. I'd plan fuel stops by 150 but if something went wrong I'd still have two liters to fall back on. That said, I did not install tool tubes on the second NC. I have a 1.6 gallon auxiliary tank mounted on a shelf I swap out for the pillion seat. It's plumbed into the main tank and gives me 250 miles of range at 80 mph.

For me it was peace of mind. The tune of the NC700X's mpg is affected to a large degree by wind and temperature as well as speed. Poking along it gets great mileage but when it's cold and running against a headwind and I needed to make some distance at 75-80 mph it would make 40-45 mpg and show reserve at 130 miles. I'd plan fuel stops by 150 but if something went wrong I'd still have two liters to fall back on. That said, I did not install tool tubes on the second NC. I have a 1.6 gallon auxiliary tank mounted on a shelf I swap out for the pillion seat. It's plumbed into the main tank and gives me 250 miles of range at 80 mph.
That would be nice. How hard is it to swap out the seat for the tank? Custom made tank?

Connecting a secondary tank is by far the most efficient way to carry more fuel. For those of us not so mechanically inclined (me), i think carrying two fuel containers on the pillion seat would work well.

Rotopax [HERE] containers for those who can afford them and
(2) 1 GAL. plastic gas storage containers (Walmart) for the rest of us.

I've always admired the way OCR mounted his Rotopax. (can't find a photo just now)

Mounting Rototpax any old where just isn't a good idea because liquids are heavy.
Strapping them to the pillion seat would minimize the weight problem and make it slightly more difficult to gas up...
but not a lot more difficult...

I think I'll go with that when the time comes. Most of my adventuring is done on Interstates, so gas is always available.
(well... mostly.... except in Texas late on a Sunday night... this California rider was not used to gas stations that actually close.... hint!... mostly they leave the pumps on anyway so CC folks can still buy gas.)

Last edited:
That would be nice. How hard is it to swap out the seat for the tank? Custom made tank?

Some of us have messed around with auxiliary tanks on the 700. I use the Acerbis 1.6 gallon tank that is readily available. Ld_rider has a nice metal fuel cell done very tidy, also LBS did one that looked factory. Mine is rather sketchy but it works on IBA rides. Here is a few advanced search find pages (upper right corner of our forum pages):

https://www.nc700-forum.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2093164

LBS Fuel Cell V1.5

https://www.nc700-forum.com/forum/n...el-cell-plus-2-gallons.html?highlight=Acerbis

https://www.nc700-forum.com/forum/u...eading-start-2017ibr.html?highlight=Iron+Butt

I don't worry about fuel unless going off road on fire roads where getting lost is very possible. Out west going 55 in the mountains the NC made 87 mpg. In Illinois it makes 70! With 3 gallons before your .7 gallon reserve you theoretically have 210 mile range and if in Illinois you have a reserve of around 40 to 50. Anywhere east of the Mississippi river you should be fine. Out west never had a problem as long as we filled up before the third bar or better if we knew fuel stop was farther away. So I am interested to hear from folks that have put these gas bottles on. Has anyone ever used them or is it more for peace of mind?

Times I ran out of fuel myself and had to use my spare supply?: 0

Times I came across a stranded biker who HAD ran out of fuel and was able to help : 2

That and the added peace of mind that it gives me when the fuel gauge light starts flashing make it a no-brainer for me, at that cost anyway.

Plus, I need to safely and securely carry fuel for my Coleman camp stove which was the primary driver in all this.

Times I ran out of fuel myself and had to use my spare supply?: 0

Times I came across a stranded biker who HAD ran out of fuel and was able to help : 2

That and the added peace of mind that it gives me when the fuel gauge light starts flashing make it a no-brainer for me, at that cost anyway.

Plus, I need to safely and securely carry fuel for my Coleman camp stove which was the primary driver in all this.
Yes, makes good sense if you are using white gas.

[There was room for it inboard of the Givi Pannier Rack and I also managed to install a lock screw.Tiny Tim]

Please elaborate on the "lock screw."

[There was room for it inboard of the Givi Pannier Rack and I also managed to install a lock screw.Tiny Tim]

Please elaborate on the "lock screw."
Being an Engineer and a pessimist, I didn't want to loose the lid to the tube through vibration. The tube is angled down slightly so if it started to work loose, the result is inevitable.

Synching it up "a little tighter" could prove to be just as bad. Trying to unscrew a tight lid with cold wet hands and a bike out of gas.....

So, I drilled a hole and forced in a sholdered 6mm nut into the hole from the tube side. This I then araldited in place and drilled a corresponding dimple in the lid in the required position. I marked the lid and the tube with a witness mark so it was on in just the right position then inserted a 6mm wing bolt into the nut until it seated in the lid. One more turn for tightness and Bingo!

Now the lid can't rattle loose and the lid can't be removed unless the pannier is removed.

Attachments

• FUEL 3.jpg
    FUEL 3.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 352
Mine fits just under the sw motech rear rack. I use sw motech quick release side racks and soft bags. From my trip to see the total eclipse of the sun.

image1.jpgimage2.jpg

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 339
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
Has anyone fitted a tooltube with Givi racks and the E35 cases?
I have the GIVI racks and a tool tube attached. I'll go and take a photo.
tooltube2.jpg
The tube is zip tied to the two holes in the back of the platform. It's not elegant or pretty, but I can clip the ties to get it when I need it off (usually I just take the tools out), and then put more ties on when i'm done. I have three ties on each side since the tool tube mounts have 3 holes each.

It's very secure, stable, doesn't rattle. I forget it's there... until I need tools.

Last edited:
Back