• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2018 Goldwing DCT

I have a 2002 GL1800 that I've ridden 50,000 miles.

What I would like to see in the next model:

5 speeds is fine. Because the power band is so wide, I can easily ride mine with 2 gears: 2nd and 5th. On the new Goldwing, we don't need more gears, just make the top gear a LOT taller than it is now. My biggest gripe is that the gearing is too low, and being shaft drive, it’s not easily changed.

Reduce the displacement but give the engine 4 valves per cylinder and the NC's technology. The present 1832cc is an old school 2 valve design and ridiculously oversized.

Reduce weight. Who wouldn't want that? However, it's never been a big focus for Honda.

Keep a base model in the lineup that is a manual transmission but with ABS as standard. For those that simply want DCT, don't force them into also buying all the electronic gadgets, air bag, etc. I don't hold much hope for this one, as the 2018 Ridgeline dropped the AWD option off the lowest RT trim, dropped the best value trim line, the RTS, all in order to force buyers up to an even higher cost trim just to get AWD. The trim lineup scheme is all geared toward jacking the price up for key functional features (like DCT), which I expect they would do with the Goldwing as well.

This new Goldwing will not come cheap. You'll be able to buy a compact car that has all the creature comforts, more cargo and people capacity, and gets better fuel economy for probably half the price of the new Goldwing.

I'd like to see DCT gen 4 allow full auto operation as well as FULL manual operation, meaning give the rider control of the clutches if they so desire.

Please Honda, offer colors besides red and shades of grey.

No matter what happens with the new model, I'll likely be keeping my current one for a long time, because it will never wear out before I do.

Last edited:
I'd like to see DCT gen 4 allow full auto operation as well as FULL manual operation, meaning give the rider control of the clutches if they so desire.

I am not sure what You mean by "full manual". My X does have what I consider to be almost full manual. There is a switch to the front of the right switch cluster that allows full manual usage. The auto only cuts in if the revs are allowed to drop to low or if the revs go into the red zone. Otherwise all changes have to be done using the manual switches.

So are you going to trade in the CTX?
Since I did not win the lottery, (I checked) something's gotta give. :)
But I wanted to see DCT on the Goldwing or on a CRF250 for a long time.
The latter does not seem to come into focus, so this one peaked my interest.
If I get to it, gonna put knobbies on and at least once rip it onto the FS roads.;)

Full manual as in a shift lever, a real clutch and no help at all from anything wirh shifting. I personally can't stand DCT. Its a deal breaker for me.

I am not sure what You mean by "full manual". My X does have what I consider to be almost full manual. There is a switch to the front of the right switch cluster that allows full manual usage. The auto only cuts in if the revs are allowed to drop to low or if the revs go into the red zone. Otherwise all changes have to be done using the manual switches.

The current DCT makes gear changes automatically or manually chosen. But the operator, even in manual mode, has lost control of the clutch.

Since I did not win the lottery, (I checked) something's gotta give. :)
But I wanted to see DCT on the Goldwing or on a CRF250 for a long time.
The latter does not seem to come into focus, so this one peaked my interest.
If I get to it, gonna put knobbies on and at least once rip it onto the FS roads.
;)

I just got back from the Smoky Mtn area. Two-up on the Goldwing 1800 with street tread doesnt stop me from riding gravel roads. We did about 11 miles of twisty hilly loose gravel in different sections, which is not much in the big scheme of things, but goes to show that gravel is not a show stopper.

We also attended a GWRRA region rally, which is represented by mostly over 60 year old couples, with quite a few Wings converted to trikes. My thinking is that DCT might be a big hit with that crowd. DCT is good for a lot of riders for a lot of reasons, but I think the older Goldwing folks will love it.

Last edited:
Still not sure why manual clutch control on a DCT is something to be desired in and of itself. If it is the need to be able to disconnect the drive train from the rear wheel at will then buy a manual and stay away from vehicles (pretty much every vehicle except conventional manual transmission equipped ones) that this feature is not present. For a while early in the Africa Twin threads riders wanted to be able to use engine or compression braking with the rear wheel on low traction downhill situations where the clutch acts like a brake but with more and more riders on DCT in the dirt this noise has subsided.

Perhaps more elaboration will allow me to understand the desire. I just don't understand at this point.

The Goldwing leaked photos still show what appears to be a rear brake pedal. I don’t know if there is any push to integrate and automate the braking system down to one control, but it wouldn’t surprise me that it would happen in the future. State laws still probably require two separate means of motorcycle brake application. However I think I saw in a new Honda HR-V that the parking brake was set with an electric push button. Does that mean the “emergency brake” lever/pedal has gone away?

We’ve automated all engine functions except throttle by wire. We’ve automated the clutch and transmission. The next logical step is to automate the braking system and have a single brake-by-wire control. Someday, Jennifer. . .

Last edited:
Motorcycle controls and placement are federally regulated under CFR 571 part 123 IIRC.

Many cars come now with electric parking brakes. My Mazda 3 has this feature.

Seeing the video, I'm concerned at the level of distraction possible riding it and therefore the suggested active lane control. One of the reasons I enjoy riding is to get away from those distractions...

Last edited:
Still not sure why manual clutch control on a DCT is something to be desired in and of itself.
Manual clutch control gives the rider a third method to regulate speed. All motorcycles obviously have throttles and of course brakes for regulating speed. DCT bikes don't give the rider that third option of controlling speed while "feathering" the clutch.

I miss that feature very infrequently...Maybe less than a half dozen times in the last 45,000 miles and only when doing something really, REALLY technical and at very slow speeds with my typically loose drive chain ;-)

Some riders probably miss clutch control more, others miss it less....

Manual clutch control gives the rider a third method to regulate speed. All motorcycles obviously have throttles and of course brakes for regulating speed. DCT bikes don't give the rider that third option of controlling speed while "feathering" the clutch.

I miss that feature very infrequently...Maybe less than a half dozen times in the last 45,000 miles and only when doing something really, REALLY technical and at very slow speeds with my typically loose drive chain ;-)

Must be.....I don't miss it at all but then I learned to ride auto clutch Hondas before ever having a hand clutched bike. I just drag rear brake against engine thrust on auto clutched, DCT or CVTs to create a friction zone.

Under some conditions I find feathering the clutch to be less upsetting to the chassis than dragging a brake. A manual clutch control allows that choice.

I just got back from the Smoky Mtn area. Two-up on the Goldwing 1800 with street tread doesnt stop me from riding gravel roads. We did about 11 miles of twisty hilly loose gravel in different sections, which is not much in the big scheme of things, but goes to show that gravel is not a show stopper.

We also attended a GWRRA region rally, which is represented by mostly over 60 year old couples, with quite a few Wings converted to trikes. My thinking is that DCT might be a big hit with that crowd. DCT is good for a lot of riders for a lot of reasons, but I think the older Goldwing folks will love it.
That's good news. All of it :)
When I watched the video and saw that Honda slimmed down on the wide front and put new front end,
I came away thinking that Honda is mainly targeting the next gen GW riders, and if they can please the repeat buyers: kudos.
As for me, if that new trim allows at least an 8ft turning radius without scraping parts, it would be first in line in my garage.
Also hoping the DCT (4th gen?) with the more powerful engine will show some new character :p

With the AT I find the "friction zone" just by stomping on the rear brake.
3rd gen DCT equipped with computer controlled "slipper clutch" makes it happen.
One would think rear braking would waste engine torque, going against the forward output of the drive but that is not the case.
There is a built-in stall prevention algorithm that eases up on the hydraulic pressure on the clutch as soon as you use
the rear brake. Of course it does it whilst monitoring several speed sensors to differentiate
between brake use scenarios.
I find that it works quite well. I would say it's better than direct clutch control, because the computer reacts
and regulates much better than I could (of course there are many 'old shool riders' who will claim otherwise, LOL).
flintstone 2wheela.jpg

Back