• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dissembling frunk cover to add magnets?

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got nice, but magnetic Cortech tank bag as a present. I bought magnets to put on the bottom of the frunk cover but it doesn't work. At least not strong enough (to me) to put the bag and be calm :D

Since it looks like the cover itself is made from two parts, I was thinking to separate them and glue magnet bands in between.

Anybody did it before?

Any other option/solution to use magnetic tank bag on my NC is welcomed.
:D

Wouldn't you just want to add metal? The bag should have magnets in the base... so you just need to add steel to the underside of the plastic trunk.

I didn't try with the metal, but if additional magnet under the frunk cover will not "attract" the magnets on the bag, I'm kinda sure just metal will have less chance, right?

I bought magnets to put on the bottom of the frunk cover but it doesn't work.
Wrong magnets.....

Get yourself a couple of Neodymium magnets from an old hard drive and you will struggle to get the tank bag off. Seriously.

Check ebay for prices...they are inexpensive and the strength of them is unreal....Be careful handling a pair since when they attract, they don't care if your finger is in between them or not ;-)

EDIT: Putting electronic devices in a tank bag secured with Neodymium magnets might not be healthy for the devices.

Last edited:
I went down that magnetic rabbit hole a couple of moths ago. I have a bunch of old hard drive magnets, and they aren't that thick, but there still isn't enough room between the inner and outer cover pieces to fit the magnets. Also the top cover is thick enough for the magnetic field to drop off quite a bit.

I had a magnetic tank bag once. Over 30k miles it pretty much destroyed the paint on the top of my Nighthawk S' gas tank. The rest of the bike was still beautiful.

I've gotten away from tank bags in general since hard luggage became commonly available, but I'd personally stay away from the magnetic variety in particular.

FYI, YMMV, MHO, etc.

Last edited:
Wrong magnets.....

Get yourself a couple of Neodymium magnets from an old hard drive and you will struggle to get the tank bag off. Seriously.

Check ebay for prices...they are inexpensive and the strength of them is unreal....Be careful handling a pair since when they attract, they don't care if your finger is in between them or not ;-)

EDIT: Putting electronic devices in a tank bag secured with Neodymium magnets might not be healthy for the devices.

So, than, more reasons to NOT use neodymium magnets than to use them :confused:

I went down that magnetic rabbit hole a couple of moths ago. I have a bunch of old hard drive magnets, and they aren't that thick, but there still isn't enough room between the inner and outer cover pieces to fit the magnets. Also the top cover is thick enough for the magnetic field to drop off quite a bit.

That's why I was thinking about magnetic tape, like THIS

I got nice, but magnetic Cortech tank bag as a present. I bought magnets to put on the bottom of the frunk cover but it doesn't work.

Any other option/solution to use magnetic tank bag on my NC is welcomed.
Not wanting to hijack your thread, but I wonder if anyone has tried fitting a newer 2016 plus frunk lid to any 2012-2015 frunks? The frunk container looks the same in both year models, so the mating surfaces may be compatible, with the newer model’s lid a more concave shape being different and having those slots for tank bags? If the mating surfaces work, the lid could always then be painted to match the bike.

Any members living close to other members willing to test this idea? I think only the seat needs to be removed to get access to take the lids off and see if they can be swapped.

Ray

Just rivet some painted steel plates on the outside of the frunk lid. You only need to put them where the bag has its magnets...

I have the 2016 model and have not really seen a good tank bag that has straps in a horizontal direction that would work well. Because I wanted just a small bag with a map case on the top I went with a bag with suction cups. I only use the fore/aft cups, leaving the L/R side cups tucked under the bag as they won't stick to the black plastic parts that they reach. If you can find a model with D-rings in the corners then you can add a couple of 1" straps to run through them and the rails and then put on QR buckles. I'll probably do that at some point but the bag is held pretty securely with just the 2 cups (they're probably 2.5" cups, not the little quarter sized versions). I did a 700 mile ride and a 350 ride and the bag stayed exactly where I put it. That being said it is closer to my gut which requires me to look further down when I need to do a map/directions check. If/when I get some decent straps/buckles I'll probably be able to mount it closer to the front and just use the aft suction cup.

2017-08-19-13.33.06-web.jpg

Not wanting to hijack your thread, but I wonder if anyone has tried fitting a newer 2016 plus frunk lid to any 2012-2015 frunks?

Not at all. As a matter of fact, that was my next question...
:D

Last edited:
Afan, I tried adding metal under the frunk cover and it did not work. Even very strong rare earth magnets taken from another donor tank bag were not close enough to the metal on the underside of the frunk. It surprised me that just the thickness of the frunk cover was enough to reduce the magnetic force to unreliable for attaching a tank bag. Metal would have to be attached to the outside of the frunk cover and I lack the metal working skills to make this aesthetically acceptable for me and the only reason I wanted a tank bag was for a map pocket so I went about making a velcro attached base for one of those. https://www.nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/2808-map-pocket-v2-0-a.html?highlight=pocket

That tape is good for sticking paper things on a refrigerator. Magnetic force, like a number of other things drops off at the square of the distance. Magnets work fine when they are separated from a steel tank by a few hundredths of a millimeter, but a separation of a few millimeters of plastic really kills attraction.

I finally gave up on trying to follow written directions on the frunk a used a Zumo 395 & Base Camp on my last trip to and from Ohio where I had different routes in each direction. Even without not hearing the directions and just looking down every so often it worked well. Made navigating Tail of the Dragon from West to East and then South through NC and the twisties of Northern Georgia easy-peasy.

i didn't read the whole thing. + 1 for Neodymium magnets. i think N52 is the strongest. you probably can glue them to the back of the lid with epoxy or something similar. make sure you do this with a right polarity,but i would test it first with somethng like masking tape, to see, if the bag will hold.
have no idea,how bag itself was structured,but my personal thought that the biggest problem would be the curves of the surface on the frunk. Neodymium magnets can hold really realy strong\big weights without any problem,but they HAVE to be abcolutely flat to each other. not sure,if you can accomplish that.
let us know,if it worked. Thanks!

PS-while ago i made a window frame (inside), that holds shutters. the whole thing is flexible and holds on these magnets. i'll post picture later. worked very well for me

you can also try to use 3M 9448A tissue pads. it's a double sided pad. when used properly-it can hold pretty much anything. you can put magnet on one side and stick other side to the top of the frunk. problem is-those Neodymium magnets rusts really quick. you will need some sort of protective cover/layer on top. plastidip? or something similar

3M 9448A Adhesive Pad Double Sided Black Foam Tape Round / Rectangle * 5 PCS | eBay

Neodymium magnets a work ! :) those metal disks on sides holding this frame inside the window

1 021.jpg
1 022.jpg

Last edited:
I had a similar application years ago on a Honda ST1100. Instead of gluing magnets on the underside of the tank cover, I glued fender washers... flat with a lot of surface area. It worked perfectly for a small bag... and no polarity issues.

Back