• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Madstad Shield Question

I like the light gray. Just a slight tint, and no edge glow from the headlight.
The madstad shield is the first thing I put on my bike. Works great, well worth owning.

Just for reference, I have the medium gray and really like it. I think it matches the grey/black version of the bike quite well
mQ4jPQt.jpg

I have the light gray. Clear has edges too bright for my taste. I do not notice loss of acuity looking through light gray but adjusted for your height you really aren't looking through it.

I also bought the light gray. I heard several owners complain about melted displays from the sun reflecting from clear screens. I look over it anyway, so it works well for my needs.

I prefer clear myself, but it was my understanding that clear was no longer available. If it was me I'd get clear or the lightest tint possible.

I have the 20" light gray. I prefer it to the stock clear windshield because it takes away some of the glare on sunny days but doesn't interfere with driving at night like the medium or dark gray.
The windshield is pretty good, it reduces wind buffeting on the highways which was a big problem for me when I drive the interstates. Although I hear a slight whistling starting between 30-40mph when I'm not listening to music. It tapers off at higher speeds but no matter how I adjust the windshield angle, I can't get rid of it completely. Madstad says that they haven't had any complaints but I believe that people either don't notice it or just learn to live with it. And like I said, if I'm listening to music through my helmet Bluetooth I don't even notice it.

Techrat

+1 on the medium grey. It's not too dark, even at night. As mentioned, the first 10-15' are darker, but a stock headlight shows the road through the tint just fine. I will eventually install some additional lights which will make it even clearer.

M60A3 main battle tank. M60 series main battle tank was used by American forces from mid-Vietnam era up until about Desert Shield/Storm when Marine units showed up in Saudi Arabia with M60A3s to help Coalition Forces remove Sadam from Kuwait, but were forced to quickly train and switch over to M1A1s by "Stormin Norman" due to the much higher survivor ability of that next-generation main battle tank. National Guard and/or Reserve units probably used this tank up until the early 1990s and after that was mostly just an export tank and a museum piece tank but a very accurate and worthy tank, especially from a defensive position. Personally, I served on the M60A3 in the Army from 1984-1986. I joined the TN Army Na. Guard in 1986 after honorably discharging from my 2 year enlistment in the "regular" Army and was on the older M48A5 the first year (an updated version of the tank Elvis was on in the 1950s), but our unit upgraded to M60A3s that same year. We trained on them until January-February 1991 when we did rollover training on M1 tanks. We all thought that we'd learn the M1 and be immediately deployed to the desert of Saudi Arabia to help with Desert Shield but it did not happen.

The A3 had a $107K laser range finder (LRF) also used in attack helicopters at the time which "fired" a laser out of that bubbled extension that you can see just above the turret hand rail on the right side as shown. The A3 had a ballistic door on the front of that bubbled extension with a pad lock on it. That LRF in the M60A3 was a better, more powerful, and more expensive rangefinder than was used for the newer M1 series tank, but was also unsafe to humans do to its high power laser, and so during training, the only time the ballistic door could be in the open position was on a live fire range under a red flag (treated like a loaded weapon). Also, the latest-version M60A3s had a stabilization system via "stab power" switch to prime the hydraulics and a "stab" switch that could be turned on by the gunner that moved the turret to full-time stabilization mode. Stabilization allowed for the gun to be maintained on a target while the tank was moving automotively. Compared to the M1s stabilization mode, which automatically occurs when the gunner or tank commander presses and holds the palm switches and disengages when the palm switches are released, the M60A3 was far inferior and unsafe. I remember training at Ft. Bliss Texas in September 1985 as a driver; the tank commander had us maneuvering with "stab" power on along a busy tank trail. In stab mode, the turret and gun stay pretty-much trained on a target with no other action required by the crew until which time stab or turret power or the engine is shut down. Sometimes a crew could forget about it especially during maneuvers. We passed close by a Hemmet cargo truck along the tank trail, and our gun tube bounced along the top of that Hemmet cab three or four times as we passed by. Needless to say, the 3rd ACR Hemmet crew personnel were not very happy about what had happened since they were sitting in the cab. The M1 series tanks (I served on the M60A3, M1 and M1A1) were much, much more refined and safe with regards to the stabilization system, and therefore, the M1 is a far superior offensive warfare tank. Also, the M1 series tank and even more so with the M1A1 and M1A2 are far more likely to have crew members survive a direct hit and is lower profile which helps a crew avoid enemy detection. There were places we'd maneuver to in the M60A3, however, that the M1 series tank could never go. The M60 could maneuver like a bulldozer. It'd turn just about anywhere on a dime in any kind of terrain. We could follow and take it anywhere that a smaller M113 personnel carrier could go in our guard armored cavalry unit, whereas after acquiring M1s, we could not necessarily go along right with them to give them overwatch support, because the M1s take wider turns and can throw a track more easily when stressed in that same manner. The top speed on the M60 series was at or about 30-35 mph on smooth pavement. The M1 may be still classified, but suffice it to say it's top speed is faster than you'd want to go on a tank in an off road environment.

Oh I see. You guys are talking about the bike. Sorry!

Last edited:
Thanks PortlandZinMan. Those are nice looking pegs. I read your pros/cons, and I am wondering how the narrower Knight pegs would be?

Much more like the originals in "feel" and you still get the lowering effect. I bought mine "used" so really didn't have a choice, but I am fine with the big ones ... used to them now.

Back