• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Diagnosing the leak

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've put quite a few miles on my 2012 NC, and I found my first "leak" today.

In the closeup (2nd photo), you can see the spark plug cover in the upper left corner...that may help orient the astute eye.

Anyone want to take a guess at what device is leaking? After it's repaired, I can post the actual reason.... once I do some business with my favorite local mechanic. (I should be able to post a definitive answer within the week.)

hint..the drops are blue in color...so it's coolant....but from where?

20170704_142714.jpg

and now the close up..
20170704_142819.jpg

The leak appears to be from the water pump weep hole. The seal that can leak is not replaceable so a new pump assembly would be the fix if it is that seal that is leaking.

And what do these threads conclude generally?
Does each instance usually require a new water pump?
Yes almost always needs a new water pump, if it's leaking from the weep hole then it defiantly needs a new pump. The only one I can think of that got fixed with a new water pump gasket was because the shop had just replaced the pump and didn't put it together properly. I think the reference about another thread was just to point out that it is a part to wear out with mileage. (One of the few) I've seen the same with gold wings, other then the things that you think of right away such as tires, chains and brakes etc etc it's a part that does wear out

Last edited:
My other bike is an 2010 NT700V and I had to replace the water pump at around 55k miles. Yup, it had developed a leak at the weep hole.

Last edited:
Interestingly the seals can be replaced individually on my CRF250L. I am curious as to why the same cannot be applied to the NC, another Honda ?

Interestingly the seals can be replaced individually on my CRF250L. I am curious as to why the same cannot be applied to the NC, another Honda ?

Honda R&D and development is done in many locations around the world, and it's likely the two engines were designed by different teams in different locations.

Yes almost always needs a new water pump, if it's leaking from the weep hole then it defiantly needs a new pump.

Thank you. Experience like that is invaluable. I will start shopping for one today.

Does anyone have a favored supplier? Who should I order from? (Ebay seems risky)

and the mechanic says....

there's a kit to replace all the water pump seals (says the mechanic)
At > 100,000 miles it's also time to replace all the hoses and the thermostat.

Grand Total = $650. (Sigh...)

Probably a good time to park the NC under a tarp for 6 months...(take about that long to save up.), but at least I'll have something to look forward to.:D

If your up to it motorsport has the gasket hoses and water pump and thermostat for $250. That's just the first place I checked

If your up to it motorsport has the gasket hoses and water pump and thermostat for $250. That's just the first place I checked

Great find.
The local MotorSports guys say $400 for a replacement pump and seals.
Compare that to $700 from mechanic for just seals, hoses, thermostat.
MotorSports guys seem to think hoses and thermostat will be OK.
Who to trust?
I think this one goes to the MotorSports guys IF they're being honest.

Wow, I add up about $180 for the Honda OEM parts at Cycle Parts Nation and it's a 2 out of 5 job at worst. Sure you can't DIY?

I might be missing something or I could have added more then needed, anyone have a invoice that lists what got changed out when getting your water pump changed?
Your Cart | MotoSport

cc637c6f7edf10cb0f33634e0017a226.jpg
8e6e7c20d6a8adf696ac9c4fa93b41a5.jpg
20f56331cae67bfa38d0c0188e749291.jpg
8153ff2faa8568d33f06ae2dc82471d7.jpg
bd1e01d5888afb6b99de001ccb1ec31c.jpg
342e212e78e90dfe32fa9ac46bbc6b1b.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I add up about $180 for the Honda OEM parts at Cycle Parts Nation and it's a 2 out of 5 job at worst. Sure you can't DIY?

I am NO kind of a mechanic. Changing oil and spark plugs is,about it for me...
but thanks for the encouragement.☺

Back