• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Help, daughter hit the kill switch on NC700XD

1wiseguy2

Reaction score
Visit site
I am on vacation 2000 miles away and got a text...Dad, my bike just died and I was able to roll into a friend's driveway. Oil light came up and it won't turn over.
So, I asked her was the red kill switch on. Yes.
She tried to start it and she said it made a clicking noise and it said it was in 4th gear still.
Called my local dealer and he said it should have gone to neutral. He had never heard of rhis happening before. Then he thought the same thing that I did. Turn the key on press manual then try hitting the down shift button. She will try this tonight after work. Does it have to be moving? I thought that I read on the forum that someone had this problem once? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Guy

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just like stopping a manual transmission bike in 6th it's impossible to shift it to neutral without rocking it back and forth slightly to allow the dogs on the gears to line up and engage/disengage. Try turning the key ON then rocking the bike a little forward and back to help the shift motor downshift to N.

Do not turn ignition key on when rocking the bike. This can only make things worse. Battery gets very quickly discharged.
Do not try to start engine too often. Take more time before next attempt (10 min). Battery needs to regain part of lost energy.
If your daughter can reach and disconnect headlight (or pull out fuse - #10?) before turning on ignition key.
Or just put a battery on charger for couple hours.

Last edited:
I takes maybe 30 seconds for the transmission to make the downshifts necessary to reach N and without the key ON it makes not a single one of them. If your battery won't last 30 seconds your problem is far worse than you think.

I takes maybe 30 seconds for the transmission to make the downshifts necessary to reach N and without the key ON it makes not a single one of them. If your battery won't last 30 seconds your problem is far worse than you think.

If battery has enough energy, I think that it should take DCT less than 2 sec. to shift gears to initial position (from 4th to 2nd and from 5th or 3rd to Neutral).
In my 2 year old battery voltage dropped from 12.92 to 12.3 in 30 sec. (to 12.4 in first 15 sec.) But because DCT was already in neutral, shift motor didn't start, so voltage didn't drop further.
For the last 5 years we had many reports here of DCT being stuck in the gear. I had this once after playing multiple times with kill switch. We know now that most of the time weak(er) battery is to blame. Or, more precisely, problem is with Honda's poor design of DCT shifting mechanism - Shift Control Motor requires too much energy to operate or battery should be of higher capacity.
This should be already safety issue.
BTW, owner's manual advises: "Turn the ignition switch to OFF and move the motorcycle back and forth slightly (to disengage the gears").

If someone can help her roll the bike forward at a walking speed or rock it back-and-forth, it makes it easier for the mechanism to downshift to N, then the engine can be started.

I did this by mistake the first week I had my DCT bike. Fiddling with something on the right side while riding, I accidentally hit the engine stop switch. I was in 6th gear at the time and at first couldn't figure why it died, then noticed the Engine Stop Switch in the OFF position. If I had the smarts then, I should have pressed the downshift button while the bike was rolling to a stop. I eventually got it to downshift to N, one gear at a time, by rocking the bike back-and-forth.

As DDualin said, if the battery can't do this simple task you have other problems!

Have her start the engine. If it is not in neutral when she turns on the ignition, apply the front brake (pull the lever) while pressing the starter button. The brake overrides the safety feature of the trans not being in neutral, after the engine starts it should downshift to 1st on its own.

Ray

Have her start the engine. If it is not in neutral when she turns on the ignition, apply the front brake (pull the lever) while pressing the starter button. The brake overrides the safety feature of the trans not being in neutral, after the engine starts it should downshift to 1st on its own.

Ray

Well I never heard this one before, so I had to try it.

This afternoon in sixth gear I hit the kill switch and for good measure set the ignition key to the off position. I rolled to a stop, put the kill switch back into the run position and turned on the ignition. The display came on indicating I was in sixth gear and pressing the start switch did not start the bike but when I held the front brake and tried again it started right up. Within two seconds I heard clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk it was in first and ready to go.

Thanks Ray this is good to know. Is this new for the 2016 model or does this trick work on all DCT's back to 2012?

... apply the front brake (pull the lever) while pressing the starter button. The brake overrides the safety feature of the trans not being in neutral...

Where does it come from?
When bike is stationary, PCM knows nothing whether brakes are applied or not.
And what "the safety feature" are overridden when kill switch is set to run...?

...I don't know why it works, but it does...

I must admit that you might be into something very useful.
Now I see that owner's manuals for NCX, CTX and NC Integra give exactly the same advice:
"If you still cannot start the engine: Start the engine while applying the front or rear brake lever."
And, my mistake - PCM and ABS modulator really receive information about applied brakes.
One (cooler) day I may experiment with that. It might be very helpful.

Thanks all, hadn't looked at this post since the 2nd or third post. She had her friends Dad rock the bike with the key on and she said it went right to neutral and she started it right up. I am going to go over to her place tomorrow and kill it while in gear and see if the brake trick works on a 2012.

Thanks all, hadn't looked at this post since the 2nd or third post. She had her friends Dad rock the bike with the key on and she said it went right to neutral and she started it right up. I am going to go over to her place tomorrow and kill it while in gear and see if the brake trick works on a 2012.

The normal behavior is N when you turn ignition ON, whether it was shut down in N or in any gear.
If the bike keeps having trouble getting to N at ignition ON, there is a problem and should be fixed sooner than later.

I was told by a mechanic that
1. this is a known issue on all Honda DCTs, including ATVs.
2. It happens when the solenoid is weak
3. The workarounds work, but with a new solenoid it does not happen.
Not vouching for this. I have accidentally turned it off in gear several times without it happening.

My money's on a very low or failed battery. The bike continually assesses the state of the battery and throws all sorts of hissy-fits when it's low. The front brake trick work if she's just hearing clicking. That's telling her that there's not enough juice to spin the starter.

Back