• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Makeshift Alarm for your Bike

JoeZ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Figured I'd post a simple and quick inexpensive alarm idea for other NC riders. All you need is a $10 personal body alarm sold on Amazon and a shoe string. I'm going to probably swap out the black shoe-string, for clear fishing wire. But you'll get the idea. Here's my link.

Honda NC700X (improvised alarm) - YouTube

Yes.. If you want, you could use it on your hotel door, hand it to your girl or child in different situations on the road. For $9.99 it's worth having I think. Alarm sound is 130db. Not too shabby :)

I first saw a device like that on a camping forum. The OP tied fishing line to them around trees for a perimeter. His thought was if a bear came to the camp, it wouldn't see the fishing line and trip the alarm and give him a warning.

One caveat to this excellent tip...

My only concern about this is the application (attaching it to the brake rotor). If the thief tries rolling away quickly (or ignores the alarm), or worse, if you forget that you attached it and started rolling or riding quickly, the clip/hook could destroy your brake calipers or rotor. :eek:

I suppose a new caliper is still cheaper than a new bike, but a good system should thwart and protect, not thwart and destroy.

I used a bike lock on my Harley that attached the same way - a lock bolt goes through the front rotor - but in that lock kit, they included a florescent orange coiled tether that you loop to the throttle grip to remind you to take the thing off before pulling away from your drunken bar run...

I'm thinking that if I were to use this on my rotor, I would have to use a bright silicone bracelet (for example) to hang on my grip as a reminder that only I would recognize (advertising an alarm system with the aforementioned lock tether is obviously not useful).

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I would simply attach the hook to the top of the top-most spoke. That way, if I still roll it, it won't hit anything important other than my ego.

Back