• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which would you choose -- a top box or two side cases?

AP1

Reaction score
Visit site
If you had to choose one, which would you choose -- a top box or two side cases?

I don't have an NC700X yet, but I've been thinking of luggage/case options. When I commute on my 1999 Honda XR250L, I wear a daypack to carry all my stuff (lunch, work stuff, etc). If/when I get an NC, I'd love to get rid of the pack. The front storage on the NC isn't big enough for what I carry, but I don't need both a top box and side cases (nor am I eager to spend the extra money for both).

So, I'm curious what all the great folks on this forum think about this issue.

Let me know what you'd recommend.

Thanks!

I think both for looks and handling concerns, a flat rack and the two side cases is the way to go. To me, a top box only looks top heavy and scooter-ish (not that there's anything wrong with scooters). The side cases are easily removed if you want to go naked. I haven't factored cost into that recommendation, but it's what I would pursue. I guess it also depends what you want to carry and what luggage would best accommodate it.

Definitely side cases. The top case will move the center of gravity both higher and rearward and both are adverse to handling and stability.

I went with a top box for slim looks and ease of loading in a lockable weatherproof compartment. After having bikes with just saddlebags there are times I have to carry something moderately heavy if if it can't be split up then all that weight is in one saddlebag or the other and that affects handling. As long as the weight loaded in the top case is kept within Honda limits it does not affect safety. No shot puts or bowling balls however.

Saddlebags. For the lower CoG, and also the weight being a bit further forward. A trunk (top case) has appeal aerodynamically, but thus far it's tough to tell much difference, at least with the Honda saddlebags on my bike.

For all the above reasons, I agree that side cases are better. I think.beemerphile (Lee) has an ace setup on his bike.

...but
I have a top box. I did it 1) because I already had the box, so I saved myself $600 on a nice set of Givi v35s and mounts; and 2) because without the added width of side cases, I can squeeze through traffic a bit easier when the need arises.

I rarely have much in the box, unless I grab groceries on the way home. Right now, I do much more commuting than long trips with lots of gear.

One day I will have a setup like Lee's so I can more comfortably do trips. :)

I have the Top Case because my bike already had the mounting bracket for it with I bought it. Haven't given it a try yet because it only came late last week and the Oregon rains hit the day I picked it up. The side cases will keep the CofG lower, no question. And aesthetically they look cleaner. On the other hand they cost twice as much as the Top Case and have about 1/3 less capacity. So it's really a question of which of these factors carry the higher priority in the decision.

I have the Top Case because my bike already had the mounting bracket for it with I bought it. ... The side cases will keep the CofG lower, no question. And aesthetically they look cleaner. On the other hand they cost twice as much as the Top Case and have about 1/3 less capacity. So it's really a question of which of these factors carry the higher priority in the decision.

First, thank to everyone who's replied already. Very helpful.

Second, I like the functionality of a top case -- go to the back of the bike, open the case (just like the trunk of a car), put my stuff in or take it out (it's a simple box), done. It seems very easy. However, I don't like the looks of a top case by itself. To me it just seems stuck up there, kind of out of place. That said, it's better than a daypack. On the other hand, I think the side cases look better, but they might be more of a challenge to use. Plus, they're more expensive than a top case (whether it's Honda's, Givi's or others). I'll wait for more responses before making my decision.

Being my only vehicle, I always need functionality. A top case will allow me to carry groceries home from Safeway, for example and will also allow me to stow my helmet and protective gear wherever I go. I live in the center of town so I do not have to worry about traveling far with a fully loaded top box.

First, thank to everyone who's replied already. Very helpful.

Second, I like the functionality of a top case -- go to the back of the bike, open the case (just like the trunk of a car), put my stuff in or take it out (it's a simple box), done. It seems very easy. However, I don't like the looks of a top case by itself. To me it just seems stuck up there, kind of out of place. That said, it's better than a daypack. On the other hand, I think the side cases look better, but they might be more of a challenge to use. Plus, they're more expensive than a top case (whether it's Honda's, Givi's or others). I'll wait for more responses before making my decision.

I have the top case, and I agree it doen't look very "COOL" back there. It is very functional for me. Like you stated I love being able to get off the bike when I get to work and get my lunch out and throw my helmet and gloves in it. It holds my lunch and some extra layers needed for change in temps for the hours that I work. I like where it's positioned too, I don't put too much weight in it so not concered with stability or handling. Too me it's much better than having to split the load between two cases and having to reach down to get things out. The top case is very reachable and comes off easily enough if not needed, then there's just the flat rack.

Top case deffinately for the win in my opinion.

I'm a top case guy also. I got the Honda one and it is easily removed if I want to run "naked". I still have the brackets for the side case when and if I want to buy them, but they are quite pricey and I find that I would probably not use them much. I don't find any difference in running with the top case or without it so far as weight or center of gravity. Also, I think it looks good. Holds a ton too!

My guess is that 95% of us ride solo. So the real answer is a top box where the pillion would sit. and a slightly taller narrow one would be ideal for airflow reasons. Some people have done this on different bikes for themselves, but not many. The NC is an ideal candidate, as the rear seat is separate. Dunno what a spare pillion seat would cost but some peeps who are good with DIY ought to be able to modify one to take a Givi rack.
It would have the added advantage of providing the rider with a backrest .
Mike

For functionality and looks, I think a TOP CASE is still be best (IMHO).
There should not be any complaints about "handling" unless you are carrying more than 50kg (which is overloading the topcase anyway) or that you are cornering at 100mph (which the NCX is not designed to do).
So for this light bike, I vote the Top case.

For tourers (lets say the Honda Pan Pacific or similar rockets), they look better with the side-cases certainly. Weight distributions at those highway speeds are critical.

Another main thing to consider is: a normal top case is usually very functional and easy to load. It is almost idiot proof like a car's trunk.
Side cases are not so. Mostly one of them is heavily discounted in volume due to the exhaust pipe. Even if you have 2 "full" sized side cases, it is hard to load, say, a Laptop into it. Or carry some eggs, perhaps? (just for argument's sake).
The vote still goes to Top Case.

As for looks.
I cannot say the top case looks bad or scooterish for my NCX. It in fact makes the bike look darn sexy.
Would I buy side cases for my NCX?
The quick answer is NO.

Would I fit side cases to my NCX?
Yes, if they are free or they are super discounted AND if I am travelling on a tour and I need the volume.

VERDICT: TOPCASE.

Well, I have top case and soft panniers. I use mainly the top case and fit the panniers when needed, mainly camping. I know a top case can compromise handling, but I never overload it. Regarding if it looks better or worse I don't care too much.

Depends on what you want to carry. The bag I take to work is a back pack supplied by the company in which I only carry a couple of magazines lunch box phone charger and a couple of other odds and ends. As this is bulky but not heavy I went for the cheaper option of a top box. This also takes up less room in the garage. If I were carrying anything heavier I would go for the panniers to get the weight lower

Personally? I'd go with the top case. The only time I've felt any handling issues with mine is when I've had it way overloaded. I actually built spacers for mine so it was mounted an extra 3" to the rear of the bike, to give my wife more legroom on a long trip. Then, if I put a big load in the topcase, I could feel it wagging the bike. Day to day, with a mild load, I don't think you can beat the convenience of a top case, and it's a cheaper solution too.

Besides, you have to be careful of where you ride with side cases. It took a bit to get out of this tight squeeze. ;)

surf1.jpg

Back