• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Covering License Plates in pics...

SleepyC

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone else laugh when you see people covering their license plates in pictures?

All day long everyone drives around and parks with the plate exposed, but put a pic online and it's a no go.

Personally if someone wanted to be shady, it would probably be on the street than a website with mostly like minded individuals,

But also... what can anyone do with your plate number? Getting a duplicate is a lot more complicated than just having the number...

Making a plate.. well that would be amazing, but I'm sure if they did something wrong, the fake plate would be discovered....

MAYBE make a fake plate to fly past traffic cams, but again, I could just sit out by a stop light and write down motorcycle plates all day... so....

Don't know why but this cracks me up every time.

I may be a bit "Special" tho... ;)

Last edited:
We had a discussion about this a few years back but I still don't understand the logic behind it. Like you, I can read license plates all day long, correlate them with the vehicle model and color, and usually note what dealer it was purchased from.

Last edited:
In photos I usually do a treatment on mine, out of whimsy more than anything else.

eef76b075090e1271fd178f76365f01b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The interwebz strike again.

It is akin to the dolts we have in the office who put postit notes over their cameras on their laptops. The lights are hardwired to the camera's power, so if the camera is on, so is the light.

One of those geniuses actually asked me how to rewind a DVD... She still opens and closes the tray.

Similar topic pops up often on other forums........VIN numbers. Hide them, publish them in ads ?????
Selling a vehicle on any of the many internet platforms or even print ads. Potential buyers call up or emails and requests the VIN.
One obvious reason buyer is running CARFAX or other tracking services to see the vehicle history before they waste time on a visit. Especially dealers canvassing for potential vehicles to flip.

Same discussion on plate number occurs on the VIN. While the VIN can be viewed on every car or truck by looking through the windshield. On a motorcycle by looking at the frame tag. Not quite as easy as reading plates on the street, but a simple stroll at Walmart could yields 100's if not 1000's of vin numbers.

No sure what the secrets or concerns are ???????

In the United States police generally cannot issue citations unless they see the offense.
However, there are many places this is not true and people have received summonses in the mail from police watching YouTube videos.
In addition, some people have privacy concerns.

Anyone else laugh when you see people covering their license plates in pictures?
I do it all the time and I'm not laughing....this is SERIOUS business my friend!

Why do I do it?

Because if you can read my license plate you can practically read my soul.....or something.

What if you see the plate number for my 2002 Ford Taurus wagon that I'm selling on CL for $1200 (OBO)?

First of all, someone might look up the plate number on the World Wide Web and find out out were I live. Next thing you know, they show up to my house AND STEAL MY BELOVED TAURUS! I saw this on TV so I know it can happen.

So, as you can see there are some VERY GOOD reasons to cover your license plate. If I don't have blue painters tape handy I just stick the thumb on my left hand into the foreground so it expertly covers the plate (and looks quite artistic I might add) while I frame the picture of my Taurus.

And that ain't no Bull! <rimshot>

Thank-you, thank-you very much........I'll be here all week...Try the veal ;-)

people have received summonses in the mail from police watching YouTube videos.
Another great reason to cover your plate with blue painters tape! Or, do what I do and add a few "enhancements" to your orginial plate such as closing the "C" to make it an "O" which will fool many of the YouTube Police (YTP). Make sure it is done in a similar color!

Next time you are heading out for a little fun, and the word "felony" comes up, covering the plate would be a great idea and help keep the YTP in the dark as to who those nefarious rascals actually were!

I just stick the thumb on my left hand into the foreground so it expertly covers the plate (and looks quite artistic I might add) while I frame the picture
And that ain't no Bull! <rimshot>

Thank-you, thank-you very much........I'll be here all week...Try the veal ;-)

One of yours?

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 8.37.35 PM.jpg

I know that guy!!

Was hoping to steal that bike but couldn't since he so expertly covered the plate. Dang!

I mean, I really, REALLY wanted that bike but couldn't for the life of me figure out a way to grab it due to his security measures (thumb in photo).

Lucky for me (unlucky for him) my 9 year old niece came up with a pretty slick plan: "Why not email him and ask to see it?"

I did that, and lo and behold, he gave me his phone number, name, and where to go and meet to look at the bike!!!

I think my niece is going to be FBI material when she gets older....she is soooo wicked smart!

My mom always said, "They only know what you tell them."

J Edgar Hoover systematically finger printed thousands of school children as they visited his crime labs.

Many people tell google yahoo and microsoft their full name and date of birth, just to get a free email address.

I'll tell you one thing THEY will never use this info to help you.

If a guy blocks out his plate that's prudent and his business.

Last edited:
If a guy blocks out his plate that's prudent and his business.

It totally is, but my original question is.. how does this help you if you don't cover your plate all the time. The interwebz is but 1 tiny window into the world. Many shadier people live in the real world.

I just don't get it either.

Have you noticed though that on automotive commercials and Harley commercials they will flip the plates backwards or reverse I guess or spray them white to match the vehicle in some cases.
Who cares?

I just don't see how someone is going to benefit from a plate in a photo rather than going down the highway where they can take a photo of anything they want.

This is getting hilarious.
Keep it coming, oh the glory of www

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The thumb cover up is bad........now they have your finger print.

Yes..........if you look in the rear view mirror your thumb print is there for the whole world wide web to see.

Challenge of the month.
Who am I and where do I live?
d6e64257fc48fdd9bc021e22d80aa624.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I love all of these responses.

The mud on the license plate will not stop you from being pulled over for a tag that expired. Many have tried that I'm told.
Oh, and snow covering a plate won't work in the northern states either. LOL

Back