• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My home brew top case

PapaC

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the SW Motech rack, and soft luggage plate, and I love them, BUT, I got tired of strapping my lunch box on and off every day, so I decided I would try a top case. I didn't want to have to take the luggage plate off, and mess with an adapter plate, so I decided to mount one my way. This is the box I purchased-

Amazon.com : Seahorse SE540 Protective Case without Foam (Orange) : Diving Dry Boxes : Sports & Outdoors

Here it is, as it came out of the box-

First thing I did was remove the handle, and cut off the mounts for it. Didn't come out as smooth as I would have liked. Used a small air sander, and the plastic would heat up.

Here with no handle, holes drilled in bottom, and stainless steel Allen head bolts with metal, and neoprene washers. When I mounted it, I put the bolts in from the top, and used a large metal flat washer, lock washer, and wing nuts on the bottom. All stainless. I didn't get a picture, but I also used a stick on rubber gasket on the bottom (between the box and plate).

I thought there was a lot of orange going on, and I wanted to cover the rough spots where the handle was, so I used matte black vinyl wrap to break it up. The reason I got orange was 1. I didn't like the shape of the other colors in this size, 2. More visibility, and I was hoping it would be closer to the red. I'm OK with it. I think it looks pretty good, although I may add a black pad of some kind on the front. Very good quality box by the way. Waterproof, and solid.

The finished box

And here it is on the bike. It comes off in less than a minute if I want to just use the rack, and if I want to lock it I'll have to use a padlock in the holes you see in the picture above.

Last edited:
I like it! Can you lock a helmet in there?

:p good question, I never tried. I strongly doubt it, it's not real big, and not rounded like a lot of aftermarket M/C cases. I wanted it just big enough for my lunch box, plus rain gear, etc. IIRC it's approx 13.5 x 10 x 9. Looks bigger in the pictures than it really is. I'm at work now. I'll go out and try it later and report back.

OK, I'm back. My Bell Star, size small does NOT fit. Close, but as they say, no ceegar. No biggy for me I use the frunk for that.

Last edited:
Back